CL: Qarabag - Roma (September 27th, 2017)

Discussion in 'AS Roma' started by Java65, Sep 26, 2017.

1. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma

Yep but I like what EDF is doing. It takes time to change that. Hence why I said at the start of the match this team is still to green to be rotating lots of key players in an important away game. Im sure you can see now why that would have been a diaster. DDR starting would have probably been the key to it unfolding differently on the pitch. Only mistake by the manager tonight.

2. Hustle and Flo

Hustle and Flo Member+

May 20, 2015
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I'm not too upset no. We haven't won away in the champions league since 2010.

We have a new coach and lots of new players.

After halftime , for about 15 minutes it was trash , you're right. But it's been better since.

3. Roma_NY

Roma_NY Member+

Oct 19, 2009
    Washington, D.C.
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This still has equalizer written all over it.

shiboboo and Java65 repped this.
  4. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ... and like last year we will run DDR, Strootman, Ninja, Dzeko, Kolarov into the ground. We will get booted from the CL, booted earlier than we should from the EL and finish 2,3 or 4th in Serie A talking about "next year" once again.

5. Wolfbeatseagle

Wolfbeatseagle Member+

May 7, 2007
    The Bermuda Tetrahedron
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kolarov can be nonchalant at inopportune times.

6. Hustle and Flo

Hustle and Flo Member+

May 20, 2015
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Yeah! I mean what the hell man.

So what , you got stripped , Dzeko does that for a living. You've got to get on your ass and win it back.

7. Roma_NY

Roma_NY Member+

Oct 19, 2009
    Washington, D.C.
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Regardless of if we actually hold on (I don't think we will), this has been an embarrassing performance.

shiboboo and Java65 repped this.
  8. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Maybe so but it's the second year that we can rotate more confidently once a side is formed. A side needs to stick together under a manager more than a season at a time. This is old ground though, if you don't understand or see this then it's not worth trashing over again.

9. Hustle and Flo

Hustle and Flo Member+

May 20, 2015
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Get Strootman in for Pellegrini and let's grind this one out.

10. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How many years have you said exactly the same thing. While I agree with what you said overall I think all of it is irrelevant when playing an extremely weak opponent.

If we were playing Porto or Monaco or Liverpool I would completely agree. However we are playing a team who scored their very first CL goal today. Nearly every other club Roma's size would dispatch this team with their reserves.

11. Hustle and Flo

Hustle and Flo Member+

May 20, 2015
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    We haven't won away in this competition in 7 years.

Let's just take it one step at a time.

We aren't the first nor will we be the last club to struggle away against a minnow in European competition.

12. Hustle and Flo

Hustle and Flo Member+

May 20, 2015
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Man oh man , Juan.

How can you be that mentally unaware in a moment like that?

13. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    How many years? Quite a few in the recent past because I'm against changing managers or squads up for that reason. I'll keep saying it if Roma keep doing it. It's then unfair for people to complain about a manager running the team out of steam because in order to create a side they first much play and build character. That can take a season on the pitch.

You're quick to point out what Roma has won in their entire history when other people expect we should be winning things. We don't have a winning mentality yet. We shouldn't be so arrogant to expect to win any champions league game away easily, no matter the opposition. They're good enough to qualify, they are professionals and on any day a football match can swing on one mistake. Football is a funny old game, that one mistake made this game a hard win but this is also a character building exercise. Onwards and upwards.

14. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. DCUroma

DCUroma Member+

Jul 20, 2009
    Suck it Sensi
    Club:
    AS Roma
    We did it.

Could be the leader of the group at the end of the day

16. Big Bad Wolf

Big Bad Wolf Member+

Dec 17, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Not an enjoyable watch.........

17. Goduerza

Goduerza Member+

Jun 13, 2008
    Bulgaria
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Having only seen the second half, it is hard for me to believe that this team managed to score two goals today. I'll have to trust the final score. Pretty forgettable performance in the second half. If that chance for Qarabag in the 89th minute had gone in, it would have been classic Roma all over again. We escaped this time.

EDIT: Lol, also just saw Monchi saying before the game that he wants to see the “right mentality” against Qarabag. Safe to say, he hasn't had much joy with that!

Java65 repped this.
  18. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like I said I would agree with this if we were playing a decent side. This is a poor, poor team, hell Chelsea slept through the game and still thrashed them 6-0. As I said, their first ever CL goal was against us.

Sure they qualified for the CL but so what? There are a number of teams in the CL that would finish at the bottom half of Serie A or any other major European League. This is a team that should have beat them 3-0 or 4-0 with the few reserves we played. Let's be honest, we didn't look any better when DDR or Flo came in.

Sorry, but this team was not prepared and it's the same team as always. Face a weak team and sit back and don't try. We lost nearly every 50-50 ball, got out-worked and out hustled. We sucked because we lacked any effort at all, not because of tactics or quality.

19. Michael Berk

Michael Berk Member+

Apr 21, 2014
    Chicago
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, what's the desired results in Atleti/Chelsea?

20. Salmeen10

Salmeen10 Member+

Jan 10, 2014
    Bahrain
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahrain
    Bad 2nd half, but we got the job done. Should have scored a 3rd to seal the game.

We got the easy part of the schedule done almost perfectly, now begins the tough part.

21. Hustle and Flo

Hustle and Flo Member+

May 20, 2015
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    My god man. Stop with the blanket statements.

This is tiresome narrative.

22. Hustle and Flo

Hustle and Flo Member+

May 20, 2015
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Dunno! I was just thinking about that.

A tie would be fine. While a Chelsea win would leave Atleti with only 1 point....

What do you think?

23. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    umm.. no. Not sure what blanket statements you are referring to. Is the narrative you are talking about is our piss poor play in CL again? If you are happy with our performance against AM or this team, fine but I am more than free to say what I want about it.

24. whill4

whill4 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 11, 2011
    Returning Video Tapes
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As long as Atletico doesn't win I'm okay. A two or three point gap doesn't really matter at this point.

GiallorossiYank repped this.
  25. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We need a Chelsea win imo. Ugly as hell game, 3 points. All that matters. Lets go!