CL: Qarabag - Roma (September 27th, 2017)

Discussion in 'AS Roma' started by Java65, Sep 26, 2017.

1. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    must win

2. DCUroma

DCUroma Member+

Jul 20, 2009
    Suck it Sensi
    Club:
    AS Roma
    We better smoke these fools

3. Roma_NY

Roma_NY Member+

Oct 19, 2009
    Washington, D.C.
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honestly, I would start Defrel as CFW and keep Dzeko on the bench unless needed. We need Dzeko fresh for Milan this weekend. A front 3 of SES-Defrel-Under should be enough to take care of this game.

4. davidcaspian

davidcaspian Member

Aug 23, 2013
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I feel like I've seen this movie before and we end up losing 1-0 or drawing 1-1 with minnows and embarrass ourselves.

We have to win both games against them if we want to have a hope of making it out of the group stage.

5. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yup. EDF might consider giving Kolarov the game off too.

6. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is why you build depth. If guys like Defrel, Peres, Under, Pellegrini can't beat small teams like this we have no hope in the CL or SA. It's better to find out now if those depth players have what it takes to beat smaller teams because we can't continue to run Dzeko, Ninja, DDR, Stroot, etc out there game after game.

7. Roma_NY

Roma_NY Member+

Oct 19, 2009
    Washington, D.C.
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    @Java65 is right. The whole point of building a team with depth is so that you can go out against a team from Azerbaijan and beat them without being forced to play your entire first team. After this game we will be playing Milan, Napoli and Chelsea in a short amount of time. Dzeko, Kolarov and Ninja have to be fresh for that run because they will play every one of those games.

This is why you bring in Pellegrini and Gonolans. This is why you have a backup CFW like Defrel. Here is your opportunity.

8. davidcaspian

davidcaspian Member

Aug 23, 2013
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All good points, I just feel like we need to make a stand in the CL. I think part of the reason Mahrez didn't push for a move over the summer is because we're Roma; if Barca had come calling he would have made a bigger fuss.

CL success would help our reputation a lot. Coming out of this group in a top two position (a tall order, I know) would do a lot for us.

9. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. whill4

whill4 Moderator
    Staff Member

AS Roma
    Sep 11, 2011
    Returning Video Tapes
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hopefully the plan is to win early and sub early.

TifosoRoma and Java65 repped this.
  11. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I think you're a year too early to be asking for squad rotation this early in the season. The problem is the team is still young under the manager. Its still finding its feet. This time next year it would be a much safer bet. Considering the group we need to win this match and all things considered resting key players is not worth the risk.

12. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we can't beat them resting a few key players then we already have no chance of getting out of the group. Then after running our players into the ground again we will struggle in EL and SA.

13. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Of course you should be able too but the point is considering all things it's really not worth the risk at this present moment and not as black and white as you make out. Win the game and then rest the key players. EDF has already shown he is happy to rotate in the weaker league games. Next year I would be all for your suggestion when the squad know each other well enough to be relied upon assuming we finally keep a squad together .

14. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But my point is if we need our key players to beat Qarabag we will not get out of our group. I'd rather bow out of the CL now and rest players than run them into the ground, get knocked out all the while dropping league points along the way.

15. whill4

whill4 Moderator
    Staff Member

AS Roma
    Sep 11, 2011
    Returning Video Tapes
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sky Sports is expecting Nainggolan, Manolas, and De Rossi to be on the bench for this. Defrel will start next to Dzeko and SES.

Roma (probable): Alisson; Peres, Fazio, Jesus, Kolarov; Pellegrini, Gonalons, Strootman; Defrel, Dzeko, El Shaarawy

16. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Again we could probably beat them on a good night with a whole second string on the pitch. It's not that we need them but the key here is the manager and his system is not yet established enough on the pitch to be making a lot of changes. We're going well currently dispatching the small sides in the league, keep the momentum going in what needs to be a comfortable 3 points.

The likes of dzeko can easily play 60+ mins. He doesn't move that much anyway. Nianggolan you could make a case for resting. Everyone else I would start including DDR who can come off at 60 as well.

The hard work is also pretty much over in training in terms of getting the power in there legs. They will have lots of time to rest in between.

17. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm with you on Dzeko and honestly my only real concern is Kolarov. The rest have gotten a game off but he's played ever match and with ACM a few days later I'd much rather have him for that match than this.

18. Insigne4BalonD'or

SSC Napoli
    Italy
    Apr 6, 2017
    In Hiding with Sal's mom
    I hope you fcukers make it out of your group

19. Andreas

Andreas Member+

May 1, 2011
    Netherlands
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Greece
    We'll be 3rd and play EL

shiboboo and Java65 repped this.
  20. Insigne4BalonD'or

SSC Napoli
    Italy
    Apr 6, 2017
    In Hiding with Sal's mom
    You never know, 2 wins against Quarabag would bring you to 7 points. Maybe you can get a win against Chelsea at home and 1 draw against either Atletico or Chelsea away from home. That would be enough for you to go through I think

21. tmontana52

tmontana52 Member+

Jul 10, 2007
    Philly- the 215
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I hope this is Pellegrini's game to shine and show us what he brought to Sassuolo last year.

Java65 repped this.
  22. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I thought we could actually win, or at least make the finals, I'd be more than happy with this scenario.

23. chaponga

chaponga Member

Roma
    Jul 11, 2011
    Arizona
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    is this on TV anywhere or should i be searching for a stream?

24. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it's on ESPN3

chaponga repped this.
  25. chaponga

chaponga Member