CL MD2: BVB Dortmund vs. Real Madrid

Discussion in 'Borussia Dortmund' started by MtnGardener, Sep 25, 2017.

1. eaglespark

eaglespark Member+

Apr 9, 2015
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    Agreed. Hopefully Toljan and Dahoud once more ask to stay behind and train with the team during the international week.

2. z0mb1e

z0mb1e Member

May 31, 2007
    Twilight Zone
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    I've been thinking this for some time now.

3. podrinje

podrinje Member+

Borussia Dortmund
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Oct 10, 2013
    Bay Area!
    Club:
    Alemannia Aachen
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    Another player who completely laid an egg today was Philipp. He seemed to be star-struck all game long and was never able to wake up from the realization that his was no BMG. He was simply bossed around by Carvajal all night long.

Liquid1010, kbvb and Dr.Phil repped this.
  4. eaglespark

eaglespark Member+

Apr 9, 2015
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    As I said before it is too early for Bosz to be completely sure what his best 11 is. He only took over the club this summer. The likes of : Dahoud, Toprak, Philipp, Yarmolenko and Toljan have all recently joined, the latter two right at the end of the window. Key players like Weigl, Reus, Bartra and Raphael have been injured. Reus and Raphael have not even been in training.

He wrongly went for experience today and it backfired. A mistake, but an understandable one. They key to it is hopefully he learns.

I would hope to see this team out on Saturday:

----Burki--
    Toljan--Sokratis--Bartra--Zagadou
    Yarmolenko--Dahoud--Weigl--Gotze--Philipp
    ------------------Auba------

Toprak doesn't deserve to be dropped, but Sokratis is captain and has more experience. with the team. I expect that LP will play instead of Zagadou and Kagawa instead of Gotze depending on fitness.

5. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Burki 9? He let in the 3rd goal at his side - again.

BvB_Peon and Dr.Phil repped this.
  6. eaglespark

eaglespark Member+

Apr 9, 2015
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    He had a poor game, but it was always going to be a hard match for him. Philipp is a better version of young Schurrle. He is a player that is fantastic off the ball and clinical. You need to dominate and have players capable of making clever passes to exploit his runs. Have a team full of runners and there is no one to pass to them, have a team full of passes and there is no one to make the runs. We simply did not have enough good possession in the game to create.

All that said there is no denying he was still very poor.

Dr.Phil repped this.
  7. Majki 2111

Majki 2111 Member

Dec 19, 2015
    Zagreb,Croatia
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    OK we play style of football with very high defensive line ensuring our squad majority of time in opposition half of the pitch. But today lack of risky passes and urgency and quality risky movement from players is disrespectful to coach. I thought Phillip should have been subbed off instead of Pulišić. But I would never switch to 3-4-3 or 3-5-2 against Real in this situation. It must be said again. Real was not clinical, we could have concede more.

This style will leave us vulnerable against teams who can play out of defense an can easily slice us with trough balls in behind defense(if we don't improve our attacking urgency and tempo, duels in opposition half of the pitch, same as taking more risk in movement, especially midfield).

So how do we stand now in CL?? What is must win list of games?

8. z0mb1e

z0mb1e Member

May 31, 2007
    Twilight Zone
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    #133 z0mb1e, Sep 26, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
    He was on the right track when it looked like PB got some clue of what type of player Castro is before the Tottenham match, when he didn't start him. But yes, it is PB's first year, and giving him a bit of time for him to figure it out isn't unreasonable, though I believe when it comes to Castro it should be obvious he doesn't belong in the starting eleven for big games.

9. bvbSlash

bvbSlash Member+

Jan 7, 2014
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Absolutely despicable line-up. At home, against the reigning champions who are struggling and PB puts a cringe-worthy line-up. Ratings:

Peter Bosz 2: If his starting line-up was bad, his setup and in-game changes were puzzling at best.

Burki 8: Can't be beat near post. Not at this level. Not for a GK who relies on his reflexes. But otherwise the best player in our team tonight.

Toprak 2: Offered absolutely nothing. His defensive positioning only looked good because Real was piss poor in the box.

Sokratis 3: Barely better but at least tried. Needs to be sold.

Toljan 7: Once again the best defender in the squad.

LP 2: He should retire. The 1 BL is not for him.

Castro 1: he did extremely well on the bench against BMG.

Sahin 1: If he really believes in echte liebe then watch the team from the stands, not on the pitch FFS.

Gotze 8: Really good performance. His positioning and team-mates let him down.

Yarmolenko 6: Marked out of the game and couldn't do anything about it. Had at least 2 players on him.

PEA 6: There's a reason why Madrid don't want him. PSG decided against him and Milan don't think he's worth the money. Look up regular journalists and they don't rank him with Suarez, Lewandowski, Aguero, Kane, Costa etc.

Phillip 4: Not CL calibre....yet

Dahoud 7: CL calibre but needs a smarter coach

Weigl 6: There's only so much he can do after coming in. Unnecessary yellow.

10. bvbSlash

bvbSlash Member+

Jan 7, 2014
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Our season has 2011 written all over it. I hated the way we played in the CL that year. Like a bunch of novices. It is worse this time because the squad is deeper and a lot more experienced.

11. Majki 2111

Majki 2111 Member

Dec 19, 2015
    Zagreb,Croatia
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Hell no, Castro did well his role, Piszczek did good today, won few duels which were important, but Yarmolenko and Sahin were bad today. About Pulišić we cannot talk about, we didn't get anything with him.

12. bvbSlash

bvbSlash Member+

Jan 7, 2014
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I am nervous about the Spurs vs. Madrid games. The worst result would obviously be a split victory and both of them would be at 9 points apiece. But a split draw would not be that bad either. Bottom line is we HAVE to beat them both on MD 5 and 6. There is no other way around it.

13. bvbSlash

bvbSlash Member+

Jan 7, 2014
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    he trips over the ball at least once a match. has a ridiculous no. of back passes. loses the ball constantly. zero creativity. I have no idea what you are smoking when you watch Castro play.

14. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Liquid1010 repped this.
  15. Majki 2111

Majki 2111 Member

Dec 19, 2015
    Zagreb,Croatia
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    You are expecting too much of him I think.

16. z0mb1e

z0mb1e Member

May 31, 2007
    Twilight Zone
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    That pairing is bad without a doubt, but if implying Sahin is as unskilled as Castro? It's quite a stretch imo.

17. bvbSlash

bvbSlash Member+

Jan 7, 2014
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    No I'm not. I just expect the mgmt. to not field a player so incredibly lacking against the current title holders.

18. podrinje

podrinje Member+

Borussia Dortmund
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Oct 10, 2013
    Bay Area!
    Club:
    Alemannia Aachen
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    It's not as much being unskilled as it is too slow to react/turn/pass that is Sahin's drawback. Catro's biggest problem is that he is not dynamic going forward and lacks playmaking abilities as he is not able to take on players one-on-one or provide effective through balls.

19. BvB_Peon

BvB_Peon Member

Apr 14, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    No bring back Kloppo!! I for 1 don't want Tuchel back...

20. chewz

chewz Member+

Sep 13, 2012
    Toronto
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    Neither, I want Hitzfield back

21. Dave46

Dave46 Member+

Nov 30, 2013
    Las Vegas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Armenia
    Please, Gotze 8 and Toprak and Papa that low?

22. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I probably rate him higher than Slash, but i don't think it is expecting too much for a player to manage 90 mins without tripping over the ball he is dribbling.

23. Liquid1010

Liquid1010 Member+

Sep 5, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    This forum is absurd at times. "XX player is useless; XX player is world changing". We all know Castro is a mediocre player, and not a CL quality player. He's a functional BL rotation player... but he's not atrocious.

1. Playing a high line is difficult. Playing a high-line against Ronaldo and Bale is very difficult. Playing a high line against RM with a midfield of Castro and Sahin is impossible. I would expect a manager at PB's level to understand that Sahin has very few redeeming features in defense. We needed Weigl if we wanted any hope of that extreme line working.

2. That was a clear penatly against Ramos. Sorry @chewz (we usually agree), but every single person on the broadcast was in agreement with that.

3. Gotze grew into the game, but was absolutely isolated with Sahin and Castro as partners.

4. I think PB made a mistake starting MP over Pulisic. Pulisic is much more direct and has a level of pace that would allow us to break on the switch much faster. He also made a terrible mistake sitting Weigl.

5. I personally thought Toprak and Papa were decent (Papa was quite good).

Jiri Havran, hava, Dage and 1 other person repped this.
  24. bvbSlash

bvbSlash Member+

Jan 7, 2014
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    We've played against European level clubs twice and have conceded 6 goals. That's down to the system and the defenders.

I don't think Götze was exceptional but given the quality behind him that was the best he could do. On a personal level he does need to continue improving.

25. hava

hava Member+

Apr 30, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    I expected Philipp and the experienced Yarmo to start because they were excellent and effective the last few games. They had the numbers to earn their spots. Pulisic's speed and turns didn't really do much as well, though he didn't have much time and the game was over soon after he came in.

I was more surprised that both Weigl and Dahoud were benched. Weigl just had his first start after a long break, so it is not that surprising to go for the theoretically safe and reliable option that worked well so far this season. He and Dahoud were also not without errors in this and the last game. In hindsight, I'd say you have to take a risk against a Modric, Kroos, Casemiro midfield that is, of course, one of the best out there.