CL Matchday 5: Roma vs Real Madrid (November 27th, 2018)

Discussion in 'AS Roma' started by Big Bad Wolf, Nov 26, 2018.

1. HeadBurn3r

HeadBurn3r Member

Jul 19, 2014
    Novi Pazar
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Serbia
    What did Coric do? I haven’t seen anything bar a few mistakes. Tbh, I haven’t watched the match actively after the second goal.

Zaniolo was our best player yesterday. Kid is built like a stallion, he easily disbalanced Real’s players yesterday, gave a hard time to Ramos, and he is only 19, crazy.

muptonfish repped this.
  2. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
  3. Wolfbeatseagle

Wolfbeatseagle Member+

May 7, 2007
    The Bermuda Tetrahedron
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That Ünder miss. Good god.

Shen-O, shiboboo, Java65 and 1 other person repped this.
  4. HeadBurn3r

HeadBurn3r Member

Jul 19, 2014
    Novi Pazar
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Serbia
    Irony, the guy's called Under and the ball goes over the crossbar.

Java65 repped this.
  5. Gilbertsson

Gilbertsson Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Apr 1, 2012
    Geneva
    Club:
    Toronto Croatia
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Florenzi and Zaniolo were solid / good, but Ante Coric needs to get more chances. He is very talented player, he should inherit the play making assignments in Croatian national team. Just like majority of players who originate from Herzegovina region, he also shares the same soil talent.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ante_Ćorić

It would be different, only if Under scored under the bar, not above.:confused:

Java65 repped this.
  6. Matrim

Matrim Member+

Feb 10, 2014
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Stellar performance from Moronchi/EDF's Roma.

I never expected more from them, so we're totally fine - all goes according to Moronchi's standards, he'd suffer us galavanting through CL this season, but next year it's LE for us, where Moronchi would bend over backwards to chase the paper trophy that's the hallmark of his sub-par football existence/career.

Barca dodged a bullet, an arrow and a f*cking asteroid by not hiring that guy. One cannot help but hate them even more for that.

LordNelson repped this.
  7. DOctore13

DOctore13 Member

Jul 19, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Man, I was with you Matrim until you shit talked the Europa League. Roma is not and has never been too big of a club for Europa League. Our cupboards are bare, we can’t complain about the cut of beef. Bigger clubs than us have won it.

8. Marco9

Marco9 Member

Oct 29, 2006
    Canada
    Club:
    AS Roma
    At what point do we separate the blame between the players and the coaches/directors. Where is the line exactly?

Schick and Under finishing their chances and this game is completely different. When do we start putting some blame on the players lack of productivity/finishing?

Do people just look at the result?

9. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    99 times out of 100 he scores this with his eyes closed. Even iturbe. When the team is lacking in confidence and needs something to go their way, of course that one time you miss is then.

Screenshot_20181129-175016.jpeg

shiboboo repped this.
  10. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Literally could have walked it in.

La Magica repped this.
  11. Marco9

Marco9 Member

Oct 29, 2006
    Canada
    Club:
    AS Roma
    this reminds me of that Dzeko miss with the legendary Maicon face... i dont remember people criticizing Spalletti for it

12. Matrim

Matrim Member+

Feb 10, 2014
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I don't have anything against EL as a tournament, as long as I can happily ignore its existence and move forward. I am kind of busy usually and taking two or four hours weekly to watch a Roma match means losing money, usually, by not using those hours for more productive tasks. I am kind of paying a ticket for watching the team, even when it's just on TV.

I can't be arsed to do the same kind of sacrifice and watch us play EL against Dnipro. I value my time way too much to spend it on stupid stuff like that, or spend 2 hours watching Seria A and getting angry about the result 2 out of 3 times.

I'm pretty sure that there are people who are in the opposite side of the spectrum, I was the same when Roma was one of my main hobbies and/or when I was a student, but these days... Life is too short to dance with ugly girls as they say.

I am not a glory-hunter, but if Roma wants my attention, the least I deserve in return is not having to go angry at them on weekly basis, because some bald man has gutted the roster and his pawn in training is slowly realizing he isn't a damn king or queen and it totally out of his depth against every other piece in the stupid game.

As for the team - it's simple really. We are paying the top 3 salaries in Seria A, we should be 3rd and playing in CL. While that holds true, EL is beneath us. When I am paying someone double the minimum wage, I don't expect a minimum wage kind of performance. People should be able to keep to their standards as fans, especially when it's obvious from the stars that we're aren't talking about a bad streak, but a bad strategy, combined with bad tactic, combined with generals who are okay with being on the losing side even though they have more and better men to lead/utilize. It's p.a.t.h.e.t.i.c. and then some. :)

13. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    just go write a book then...

Hustle and Flow, Haakon24 and ErPupone repped this.
  14. Big Bad Wolf

Big Bad Wolf Member+

Dec 17, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    First question is the most pertinent one. It's impossible for us fans to apportion blame with confidence in the accuracy of our objectivity. But I lean towards blaming the players most of all and EDF least of all. However, everyone is to blame to some degree or another.

Second question, yeah, in a lot of cases I think they do.

Haakon24 and shiboboo repped this.
  15. Marco9

Marco9 Member

Oct 29, 2006
    Canada
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I understand your point but i think we can get as objective as possible if we decide what is everyones role exactly.

For example, imo a coach's role is to study the opponent, provide the team with sufficient chances to win a game and limit the opposition's chances.

As for the players, i expect them to play to the best of their abilities in the best system that suits their capabilities.

In other words,
    Attacking wise, a coach must bring the players in front of goal and the players simply have to finish

Defending wise, a coach must instore a certain system to limit the opposition's chances to score and the players' main task is to focus and follow that system

During the Madrid game, we were dominating them in the 1st half and had two clear cut chances that shouldnt have been wasted based on the players capabilities

The goals we conceded, the 1st was a shit clearance from Olsen and then Fazio decided to head the ball back into the path of a 5 meter offside player in Gareth Bale.
    Olsen should have cleared the ball miles better than what he did because he is simply capable of doing that and Fazio should have been smarter and let that ball bounce or just leave it to Benzema and adapt after.

The 2nd goal, Florenzi and Fazio were incredibly slow to react. Nobody took responsibily and they got caught.

Result, people are blaming EDF... doesnt make any sense. Its lazy thinking

16. TwistedJester

TwistedJester Member

Sep 25, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think the game may well have went at the Under miss. Being just before half time was devastating for us, would have put a right downer in the dressing room. I do wonder about their mentality coming back out.

Java65 repped this.
  17. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think there is any way to really determine what portion of the blame should be spread between; players, coach and DS. There a just so many variables and responsibilities for each and it's difficult to differentiate is it lack of talent, is it poor coaching or is it players not performing.

One general rule I use is to look at performance of all the players. If just a few of them are making critical mistakes that cost wins then it's safe to say it's probably talent or those players simply not performing. If most or all of the players are not performing then, for me, that's coaching.

For example early in the year I think it was clear (to me) that there was no cohesiveness at all and what I saw was 11 players on the field working individually... IMO, that's coaching because it's not likely all 11 players are too stupid to grasp what the coach wants to do or are not talented enough to execute it. In the last few games it's obvious to me that whatever EDF did, changed tactics or how he imparted his ideas, started to work and we were seeing some vastly improved play but mistakes by a few players (poor tackling or marking, missing chances) cost the team points.

The gray area for me is the mental part and honestly, I think what separates good coaches from great coaches is how they prepare their team mentally before matches and during matches. That's a tough one to measure because sometimes the teams mental fortitude (good or poor) is systemic and that's a tough thing to change.

18. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I would add to your point in regards if its EDF's coaching that we have started to click in build up now but you also have to factor in new players learning the team, the league etc, new teammates movements. Then on top of that, the injuries. It was always going to be a tough job to get a team clicking quickly, no matter the coach and changing it wasn't going to do anything because we still have the same situation regards new players and injuries.

People have been calling for his head from the first few weeks and its a lazy assumption from reacting to results and not looking at things in more detail. I stand by what I said last week, I see the team reacting well and having a very strong run to Christmas in performances.

19. muptonfish

muptonfish Member

Oct 10, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    You don't have time to watch a match, yet you have time to come here and dump on the team, EDF, Palotta, and Monchi??? interesting....
    As for getting angry at the result of match, tournament, season etc...that's a you problem not a Roma problem

Hustle and Flow and Haakon24 repped this.
  20. L'immortale

L'immortale Red Card

Italy
    Nov 13, 2017
    Retired
    If we lose on Sunday to Inter EDF is gone.

decola repped this.
  21. decola

decola Member+

Sep 12, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma
    This isn't a logical way of thinking, Spalletti brought results and a team with identity, EDF doesn't

Using your logic:

Under Spalletti Dzeko/Radja scored 29/11 goals in Serie A

Under EDF Dzeko/Radja scored 16/4 goals in Serie A

At what point do we stop blaming the players and start blaming the coach? Especially considering that if the players are put in the right system with the right motivation suddenly they are magically able to produce greater productivity/finishing and ultimately results

22. DOctore13

DOctore13 Member

Jul 19, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I have wanted EDF out since the abysmal start to the season. Real has won 3 successive CL titles. Stupid to make the decision on Tuesday's match. If you had supported him before nothing has changed.

decola repped this.
  23. Big Bad Wolf

Big Bad Wolf Member+

Dec 17, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Two words: Mo Salah.

So, the point being, you can go on and on with this kind of thing....facts and counter facts etc etc etc

Marco9, Haakon24 and hangthadj repped this.
  24. Gilbertsson

Gilbertsson Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Apr 1, 2012
    Geneva
    Club:
    Toronto Croatia
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
  25. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    #125 hangthadj, Nov 30, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
    Honest question. Do you really believe that "identity" will lead Radja to another 11 goal season in Serie A at age 30? Do you think "identity" alone led Dzeko to a 29 goal season?

I'm not sure that EDF can get this team to the heights of 16-17 Roma. But it's not solely down to "identity." You had Salah emerging, you had Perotti mostly healthy and a few years younger. You had a MUCH weaker Milan, Inter, Lazio, and Napoli....not to mention Fiorentina and the like.

If we are taking the blame off the players and putting it on the coach, Spalletti's "identity" lost to Porto in the Champions League Qualifiers and was eliminated by Lyon in Europa. And we'll leave alone his total victim mindset and preening at press conferences and the whole Totti debacle.

Spalletti's "identity" threw an obviously unfit Radja out for a Champions League match midweek and had to sub him off before halftime. Now Inter does not control their own destiny. Great decision, Luciano.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who had a love/hate relationship with Spalletti, especially in his second term. But I'm just so damn tired of hearing about the mentality and identity he brought. I was tired of hearing him moan about it in press conferences and I'm tired of the revisionist history around it. Spalletti's Roma dropped points to mother********in Empoli among others in 16-17. I just can't take it.

EDIT: My anger is more directed at Spalletti than you, especially with the match coming up this weekend.