CL Matchday 1: Real Madrid vs Roma (September 19th, 2018)

Discussion in 'AS Roma' started by Big Bad Wolf, Sep 18, 2018.

1. Big Bad Wolf

Big Bad Wolf Member+

Dec 17, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Imma stop you right there. I don't think DDR and Nzonzi together can be a thing.

shiboboo and Java65 repped this.
  2. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why do I get the feeling EDF is going to keep trying this much like he kept trying to play Dzeko and Schick together. :(

3. Haakon24

Haakon24 Member+

Mar 15, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    Thanks for reminding me of Strootman. The decision to sell him gets more and more retarded every day. Seriously.

Java65 repped this.
  4. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We'll thankfully the NHL starts in a few weeks so now that the Roma season is over I can just turn my attention to hockey.

saadomar repped this.
  5. Hustle and Flow

Hustle and Flow Member+

Roma
    Feb 19, 2018
    Canada
    Haha , we're gunna find our way out of this rut. Don't be too dour yet. This was the worst time to have to go to Madrid.

I take it you're a Hurricanes fan? Interesting offseason for you lot.

6. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    no, Red Wings fan but I do follow the 'Canes since they play about 10 mins from my house. Even my once might Wings now suck so I got nothing sports-wise.

The Leafs could be really good this year, Tavares was a great pickup.

Hustle and Flow repped this.
  7. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    What makes you think they can't operate in a 4-2-3-1? Our defense, especially centrally has been garbage. This provides cover. Nzonzi as a mezzala is a waste. There have been numerous complaints about us lacking steel in midfield. Nzonzi can still be moving more forward into the attack as needed. DDR still dropping between the center backs or deep to receive the ball.

I don't know. Call me crazy, it makes so much more sense than playing Nzonzi wide, or benching De Rossi. The overlap and switching opportunities between Kardsorp and Florenzi on the right can be lethal.

What we are doing now simply isn't working. You have a few weeks against awful opposition to get it right. If it doesn't work, you find out quick and you have a Cristante, Lorenzo or whoever to jump in.

8. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    To be honest, I still think that sale hurt us infinitely more than Radja for many reasons. But not to the point it will make or break our season.

9. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While N'Zonzi and DDR are both DM playing them both has the opposite effect, it makes us worse defensively, IMO.

Playing those 2 you are essentially giving up the MF and letting the opponent have a free path to pick us apart while we are trapped in our own end. Our defense is struggling because our MF is in complete disarray and other teams are attacking how they please.

To fix both our defensive and offensive problems we need to get control of the MF not concede it.

10. Haakon24

Haakon24 Member+

Mar 15, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    I agree. Strootman is a consistent performer and leader. It won’t make or break our season in that we can still get top 4, but I do think we sold some points in the table

11. L'immortale

L'immortale Red Card

Italy
    Nov 13, 2017
    Retired
    Madrid had THIRTY shots. THIRTY. 30!

saadomar repped this.
  12. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma

We gave up 10 to Chievo. 30 is not bad here. :sneaky:

13. DOctore13

DOctore13 Member

Jul 19, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    He had no say in ripping apart a stable midfield? If he approved of the sales he should face the repercussions. Actions have consequences. If he doesn’t right the ship immediately he’s not going to ever do it.

14. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    #164 La Magica, Sep 19, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2018
    No it has been posted that he wanted this in order to bring the football he talks about to the pitch. As our manager then he deserves that chance, thats what we pay him to do, gets results playing his football. But a midfield that was solid with 5 years experience is not easy to immediately switch out.

I'm sure they didnt take it lightly and knew it would most likely be rough but personally I trust him long term and as tough as it was, it was the correct decision and it needs time to click. Judging this in the short term right now is futile imo but you're free to see it as you like. Thats not to say he hasnt left me scratching my head this season with some lineups and subs but every manager has my support until the very end, except AA

wm72, Hustle and Flow, whill4 and 3 others repped this.
  15. Haakon24

Haakon24 Member+

Mar 15, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    You just jinxed us, loss vs Empoli incoming.

16. DOctore13

DOctore13 Member

Jul 19, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    We are a wonder goal at the last minute against Torino away from being winless this campaign. And we looked like crap in preseason when not playing against B team reserves.

How much are you willing to throw away to wait for the team to gel?

Getting out of CL group?
    A top 4 place?
    A top 6 place?

Because basically if we don’t achieve those goals then the AS Roma super market opens its doors again in June only this time without the funds to replace who got sold.

17. Lameelaa

Lameelaa Member

Mar 3, 2012
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Gotta need a win next week against Bologna, and not a fluke win. Other wise it will be buonanotte EDF

18. shiboboo

shiboboo Member+

Nov 13, 2010
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Two things I never want we see again:
    1. DDR and Nzonzi taking up 2/3 of the midfield spots in a 433,
    2. Dzeko and Schick on the field at the same time in any situation except just hoofing the ball into the box out of desperation in the last few minutes.

Zaniolo was my only positive from this game. Where is Coric? Where is Kluivert? Where is Lu. Pellegrini? Why be disfunctional with veterans when we can do it with teenagers and those on the right of the age mountain? At least they are supposed to form our new core going forward.

19. 7thRoman

7thRoman Member

Mar 23, 2012
    Club:
    AS Roma
    according to news, one Roma player refused to play as a starter.

20. Rellum

Rellum Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Brisbane
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    This is the game where EDF lost me. I watched 30 mins of the replay and that was enough before I went to extended highlights. We parked the bus and didn't even look to score. We cowered before them.

That performace reeked of a manager desperate to hold onto their job so they go down the defend only route. It just invites Real to have shooting pratice.

EDF has to win the next few games.

21. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yea, I do think its fair to say it takes time work in new players but it's about degrees. There is no way we should be in complete disarray, a few issues yes, but not total and complete garbage.

22. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yea, when I saw DDR & Nzonzi I could not believe my eyes. You are essentially leaving young Zaniolo to man the MF by himself.

Another point of frustration with EDF is the Dzeko / Schick thing. It doesn't work, it's been tried more times than I can count and it never worked, yet EDF keeps going back to it. I get the same feeling we are going to see the same in regards to DDR and Nzonzi, EDF will keep leaning on that combo despite all the evidence it will not work.

Against smaller clubs that are going to park the bus try Pellegrini or Cristante as a DM to help break down those clubs and spark the attack. In those matches we don't need a DM that will sit in front of the backline so sit DDR and Nzonzi and use one of them against bigger clubs because they can play that old-school DM roll and help spark the counterattack.

23. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Where is this. I haven't seen this anywhere.

24. Goduerza

Goduerza Member+

Jun 13, 2008
    Bulgaria
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Let me guess - RomaPress.

25. L'immortale

L'immortale Red Card

Italy
    Nov 13, 2017
    Retired