CL Matchday 1: Real Madrid vs Roma (September 19th, 2018)

Discussion in 'AS Roma' started by Big Bad Wolf, Sep 18, 2018.

1. Big Bad Wolf

Big Bad Wolf Member+

Dec 17, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Probably the kinda game we need right now. One with very little expectation.

Java65 repped this.
  2. Salmeen10

Salmeen10 Member+

Jan 10, 2014
    Bahrain
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahrain
  3. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    This is pretty close to a worse case scenario start for Pastore isn't it? Unable to fully adapt to the team/EDF's system. Subbed off in 2 of his 3 starts (I think). Then misses two games due to fitness/inury after the international break.

I mean what is the over/under on longest streak of consecutive starts for Pastore with the team this season, 8 maybe 10?

This isn't helping my Roma malaise.

4. Salmeen10

Salmeen10 Member+

Jan 10, 2014
    Bahrain
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahrain
    Worst case scenario would be if he didn’t score a wonder goal and was MoTM in his first home game. Against Milan he was one of the few players playing decently. Other than his first game I see the criticisms toward him as pointless.

On the subject, here is a good video on his play so far:

5. DOctore13

DOctore13 Member

Jul 19, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I disagree. We are favored to lose but that doesn’t mean it’s okay for the same crap we’ve seen all season. any loss worse than 2-0 and I think it should start the heads rolling.

6. Big Bad Wolf

Big Bad Wolf Member+

Dec 17, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    You missed my point.

7. DOctore13

DOctore13 Member

Jul 19, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Okay, you’re expecting a repeat of last season’s return ties against Barca and Pool. I am hoping for success. Any further failure, especially an embarrassment, needs to be met with equally drastic measures. If the team can’t get up for this tie they never will.

8. Matrim

Matrim Member+

Feb 10, 2014
    Club:
    AS Roma
    If someone can wipe out my pleasant teenage memories from us bitch-swapping Real 2-1 & 2-1 in the 1/8 finals then that's certainly the current Roma squad.

I agree that if we get embarrassed or don't show some over-all team quality in this match, certain people should entertain the notion of handing their resignation afterwards. It's an empty season already and we don't really need a DS genius to sell our better performing players, and we don't really need a person who couldn't manage to pick the least detrimental squad for 5 games straight.

What people don't realize is that the Torino win was the fluke, not the games afterwards.

I don't enjoy being fickle, but to be honest I prefer being fickle over having to grind my nerves for 2 or 4 hours every week with all the incompetence that's eroding this team for the past 4-5 months.

DOctore13 repped this.
  9. LordNelson

LordNelson Member+

May 29, 2012
    London
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I wonder what the excuse will be again from our morons at the club. Morons as in our idiotic trio.

10. Big Bad Wolf

Big Bad Wolf Member+

Dec 17, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    We're the clear underdogs in this game. That would be the case regardless of our form. As such it's the kind of game in which we have a lot more to gain than we have to lose, which suits us right now. That was my point.

Java65 repped this.
  11. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    That's a really good video, thanks for posting that. I mean minutes 10-12 where they were showing how poorly Roma defends complete with "literally nobody is defending" in block letters didn't feel good, but it's nothing we haven't said here.

Granted, I was being dramatic about Pastore's worst case scenario start. But, when you have a team in the midst of it's worst start in years with the #1 transfer acquisition missing the first two games after an international break and not having played for what seems like a month, that's less than ideal.

I agree Pastore needs time before we pass judgement on the transfer. I also think that games vs the likes of Chievo (or Bologna and Frosinone) can help him get comfortable. And moreso, from a selfish perspective it sucks going into a Champions League match against the biggest club in the world without your new toy.

Salmeen10 repped this.
  12. L'immortale

L'immortale Red Card

Italy
    Nov 13, 2017
    Retired
    1042169693384126465 is not a valid tweet id

LOLLLLLLL

13. L'immortale

L'immortale Red Card

Italy
    Nov 13, 2017
    Retired
  14. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Classic EDF. I love the madness of this Roma.

15. decola

decola Member+

Sep 12, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma
    well... we seem to luck out with at least one young player a season, hopefully it's him this year... :ninja:

16. ErPupone

ErPupone Member+

Aug 27, 2015
    Austria
    Club:
    AS Roma
    In other words: we've learned nothing from how things went with Gerson.

Java65 repped this.
  17. Goduerza

Goduerza Member+

Jun 13, 2008
    Bulgaria
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Just like Mirante was going to start against Torino, right?

muptonfish repped this.
  18. HeadBurn3r

HeadBurn3r Member

Jul 19, 2014
    Novi Pazar
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Serbia
    At this point, what can we lose? Pellegrini is not offering much, he is just running around like headless chicken and mislplacing simple passes. Nzonzi, DDR and Cristante would be my pick, but it's difficult to synchronise the three in 4-3-3 since Nzonzi and DDR are DMF.

19. tmontana52

tmontana52 Member+

Jul 10, 2007
    Philly- the 215
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Get rid of this clown already.

20. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was just about to post this. FFS, talk about trying to destroy a kid's confidence.

21. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I disagree completely about Pellegrini. Both he and Cristante started slowly vs Chievo but as the game went on both had really grown into the game and were playing well. Pellegrini made some very nice passes that opened things up an led to dangerous situations.

Pellegrini missed 2 chances and that's why he was subbed off... which is stupid on EDF's part. Those are the things you have to live with young players, you show confidence in him. I'd be more worried if Pellegrini wasn't in the position to miss.

22. L'immortale

L'immortale Red Card

Italy
    Nov 13, 2017
    Retired
  23. L'immortale

L'immortale Red Card

Italy
    Nov 13, 2017
    Retired
  24. L'immortale

L'immortale Red Card

Italy
    Nov 13, 2017
    Retired
    1042385868097511425 is not a valid tweet id

25. tmontana52

tmontana52 Member+

Jul 10, 2007
    Philly- the 215
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I just don't understand this, kid has yet to make an appearance, and you start him on the road against REAL MADRID??

Why not start Cristante? Worse comes to worst, you bring Zaniolo on at the half, but to start him? Zeman wasn't even this crazy and he started Tachtsidis over DDR.

Andreas, Oban14 and JoãozinhoFutebol repped this.