PBP: CL Juventus v Tottenham Hotspur Feb 13, 2018

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by Count Chocula, Feb 13, 2018.

1. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good result. In the end, the match can't be won in the first leg, but it certainly can be lost. We did the job. COYS!

2. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A fight back against a CL finalist. And two away goals. Very good result.

And I would like to remind everybody, Spurs already beat Juve at Wembley. It might have been preseason, but it was still a solid victory.

3. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    As a Juventus fan I hope we win next leg. Should be a good match though. Although I was pissed to see what happened in the game earlier today. We took a 2 goal lead and then basically stopped pressing which made us make a few mistakes in dangerous positions which led to you guys coming back. And worst of all the penalty miss by Higuain. He shouldn't even be taking our penalties.

4. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    whatever the issue is with Alderweireld, it needs to be sorted. Sanchez is miles off what Toby brings. I saw the other day that Verts is only under contract through next season, also. We need to tie both of them up, and soon.

5. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    It's easy to see why PSG let Aurier go isn't it? He really is a headcase at times.

Him and Davies not withstanding, that was a remarkable performance from the lads today. If you offered me two away goals, I would've taken it even if it was in a loss. Juve are still the favourites IMO but they will have to beat us at fortress Wembley, something I did not imagine saying this season.

6. Count Chocula

Count Chocula Member+

May 7, 2010
    Cedar Falls, IA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

El_Mittinho_ii repped this.
  7. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    i absolutely love the way Dembele carries the ball forward into space, pulling defenders out of place and clearing spaces for moving teammates. it used to (and occasionally still does) make me crazy the way we would pass it around the perimeter and ignore the holes right in front of the ballholder. And to be fair, you don't want just anyone inviting defenders onto them. But for Dembele ... pffft ... defenders ...

8. El_Mittinho_ii

May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    My favourite Mousa Dembele statistic. In february 2016, a Sunderland player was the first person to take the ball off him mid dribble in 5 months!

BalanceUT and Count Chocula repped this.
  9. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    that's amazing. especially when you consider, again, how he doesn't automatically look to get shut of it traffic. I mean, you couldn't get the ball of Modric, either (damn, he was good), but he'd just move it on at the last split second. Dembele, on the other hand, just keeps it until he decides what's best to do with it.

10. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Fantastic result considering the shambolic start. If only we didn't self destruct in the opening 10 minutes, the tie would already be over. Very similar to the Liverpool game, we could have won it and we could have just as easily lost 5-2.

With the exception of Vertonghen, who is different class, our defence was a shambles. Aurier was a complete disaster and Poch will not be disappointed he is suspended for the 2nd leg. Sanchez was done like a kipper on several occasions and Poch will be hoping and praying that Alderweireld will be fit for the return match at Wembley.

Going forward, we were brilliant, Eriksen and Dembélé ran the show in midfield and Kane gave their centre backs a battering. Dele made a great pass to set up Kane's goal, but I thought once again he dawdled way too long on the ball when we had counter-attacking chances. I would love to see Poch send him a message by leaving him out for a couple of games.

I think our best team would have Wanyama and Alderweireld in for Dier and Sanchez. I see it every game now, all of our opponents are deliberately letting Sanchez and Dier have the ball and either activating their press to force giveaways or just sitting back and waiting for them to turn the ball over.

On to Rochdale and their cow pasture of a pitch!

COYS!

11. Count Chocula

Count Chocula Member+

May 7, 2010
    Cedar Falls, IA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    dele has been better this season as a creator than a scorer. and also pressing and winning the ball back in opponents half. but he keeps trying to dribble into dead ends on otherwise promising attacks

he needs to have a look at eriksens play, who scores plenty but doesn't primarily look to score

12. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    That is a shocking stat - that a Sunderland player would have actually made a tackle...

pookspur repped this.
  13. mekarshalev

mekarshalev Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Agree w/ most of it, but think it was aurie and Sanchez who were to blame for most of the issues. Davies, of course guilty for the penalty but otherwise quite stable and being a good outlet on the left.

Count Chocula repped this.
  14. Count Chocula

Count Chocula Member+

May 7, 2010
    Cedar Falls, IA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Aurier has made what - a dozen or so appearances?

and given away 2... or 3(?) penalties, plus a red card IIRC

might as well have kept Kyle Naughton