CL: Chelsea - Roma (October 18th, 2017) [R]

Discussion in 'AS Roma' started by Andreas, Oct 16, 2017.

1. Andreas

Andreas Member+

May 1, 2011
    Netherlands
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Greece
    A draw would be great.

@Java65

Insigne4BalonD'or and Java65 repped this.
  2. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would be very happy with an away draw especially considering out injury issues.

3. whill4

whill4 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 11, 2011
    Returning Video Tapes
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Morata has started training with Chelsea again. I guess his injury wasn't as bad as initially thought :ninja:

4. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Shame Manolas is out.

[​IMG]

5. Michael Berk

Michael Berk Member+

Apr 21, 2014
    Chicago
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we're in big time trouble Wednesday.

Shen-O repped this.
  6. tmontana52

tmontana52 Member+

Jul 10, 2007
    Philly- the 215
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I think 3 at the back is our best bet, only thing is can DDR play back there with Jesus and Fazio?

Java65 repped this.
  7. Salmeen10

Salmeen10 Member+

Jan 10, 2014
    Bahrain
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahrain
    Strootman and SES are back for this match.

Hustle and Flo repped this.
  8. Big Bad Wolf

Big Bad Wolf Member+

Dec 17, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I do think we'll have to beat Chelsea if we're going to progress and our best chance of that is likely to be the home tie. It's not beyond us to get something from this game tho.

9. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You could certainly play Kolarov in a back 3 or maybe it's time for Moreno to step up. I do think a back 3 is our best bet here.

10. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we can beat AM and draw both games with Chelsea I think we should advance

11. Michael Berk

Michael Berk Member+

Apr 21, 2014
    Chicago
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did you see the second half of the home tie against AM? If hoping for a win at AM is our best bet, I look forward to Europa.

12. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Please try to get at least a point from this game. Don't let it be ugly. I honestly think there is a 20-25% chance that you could win. Not much but something. At least Chelsea is dealing with a number of injury problems as well. I think your best bet would be to try and win midfield battles. Drinkwater, Kante, and Moses are all out for them. Nainggolan, Strootman, and DDR I think have a good chance of catching them in the midfield.

13. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Different time, different team. That was right at the beginning of the EDF era and nobody was on the same page. I'm not saying that we are going to win or our chances are better than 50-50 but if can get healthy we have a decent chance. AM have struggled to score this year and I think there is a fair chance we can keep a clean sheet against them.

14. Big Bad Wolf

Big Bad Wolf Member+

Dec 17, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Well c'mon now, that's a big if. My point is simply this, if we dont beat Chelsea either home or away then we'll be going in to our penultimate game away to Atletico in 3rd place (assuming AM do the double on Qarabag, which is likely) and needing at worst a draw there to still stand a chance of 2nd. Would you fancy our chances? Not sure I would. Besides if we beat AM we can progress with another win at home to Qarabag without getting a single point off Chelsea.

Basically if we dont beat Chelsea once we're faced with the scenario of having to get something away to AM and that's not a scenario I think I'd like the look of. And even if we did manage to say, draw with AM in this scenario, we still wouldn't qualify if AM went and beat an already group topping Chelsea (very possible). So you see where I am coming from yes? We dont beat Chelsea once we're heading to the EL as I see it.

15. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    If you guys lose to Chelsea tomorrow and draw them in Italy, draw Atletico again in Spain, and Chelsea beat Atletico again last game, you should go through. Assuming you guys and atletico take max points against Qarabag.

wm72 repped this.
  16. Big Bad Wolf

Big Bad Wolf Member+

Dec 17, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    (Everything below assumes that Qarabag will lose all their games)

Again something significant is being overlooked in this scenario. That being that AM would go into that final game against Chelsea needing to win. Chelsea on the other hand would have already topped the group and would have nothing really to play for. I for one would fancy AM to win the game in that situation. I dont think we can be relying on Chelsea doing us a favour if they've already topped the group.

But I've actually looked at it again and even if we get 3pts off Chelsea (lets say a home win) we'll still need a score draw at worst away to AM.

Lets say we lose to Chelsea away but beat them at home and AM beat Qarabag twice. Here's your table

Chelsea 9
    AM 7
    Roma 7

Chelsea beat Qarabag and if we lose to AM we're out.

So basically even if we get 3pts off Chelsea, we'll have to get a score draw away to AM. And if we dont manage to beat Chelsea once, we'll have to beat AM away. Big ask either way.

17. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Thats only if Atletico beat Chelsea in England. While its not good to rely on Chelsea doing you guys a favor, Conte is the type of manager that will go for every game regardless of how much it means. I know Conte, he used to coach Juventus and Azzurri.

18. Salmeen10

Salmeen10 Member+

Jan 10, 2014
    Bahrain
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahrain
    If Qarbag lose all their games we need 11 points to guaranty qualification, if they steal a couple of points from someone then maybe less.

Right now we have 4 plus what should be easy 3 from Qarbag. We need 4 points from the other 3 matches.

19. Big Bad Wolf

Big Bad Wolf Member+

Dec 17, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Conte has been complaining about a lack of depth in his squad all season. They have injury issues right now. You honestly think Conte picks his strongest team for a meaningless game? And do you really think whatever team he picks busts a gut to beat AM in a meaningless game? I would strongly fancy AM to beat Chelsea in a must win game for them and a meaningless one for their opponents.

20. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I do not know for sure, but Conte definitely did in the last EPL games way way after he secured the title for Chelsea, which is what arguably costed Chelsea the FA Cup.

21. Big Bad Wolf

Big Bad Wolf Member+

Dec 17, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    F**k it. Lets just beat Chelsea twice and go through that way.

22. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    rep 1,000 times. :thumbsup:

23. Hustle and Flo

Hustle and Flo Member+

May 20, 2015
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    seriouslyyyyyy. All the hypotheticals are making me nauseous.

I know we're massive underdogs, but damn.

We have Bruno --they don't.

Advantage us.

romanista8910 repped this.
  24. LordNelson

LordNelson Member+

May 29, 2012
    London
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Get ready for another Manchester or Bayern disaster. It is not so bad however; our Zeman version 2.0 will say we were unlucky, we tried; hit a post, injuries, what do we expect we are not Napoli etc.

At least, maybe we will get some comfort from Napoli fans after the loss.

25. Hustle and Flo

Hustle and Flo Member+

May 20, 2015
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Just shaddup.