Civilization VI

Discussion in 'Video and Computer Games' started by Nerroth, May 11, 2016.

1. Mach1

Mach1 Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That much of an upgrade? The inherent problem with comparing the two is you're not comparing Civ V 1.0 with Civ VI 1.0. Is Civ VI 1.0 better than the final edition of Civ V with all of it's expansion packs? I can't say for certain. Most of the gameplay aspects are included, but the balance isn't quite there yet, and there's obviously not quite as many factions you can play as with all the DLC in Civ V.

What's good about Civ VI are the changes they've made have made it different and interesting enough to make it fresh. For me the biggest change has to do with districts and building improvements in a city. Instead of just building everything, which did kind of make the endgame kind of tedious when it came to building improvements, you now build specialized districts, which then hold the spaces to build their specialized buildings (industrial for workshops and factories, commercial for markets and banks, for example). The rub is you can't build every district in every city, so you have to specialize each city, which adds a strategy to building improvements that wasn't there before.

After one weekend of play, I'd say if you enjoyed Civ V you should enjoy Civ VI.

2. Taib

Taib Member+

Lazio
    Italy
    Sep 7, 2007
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    My initial impressions are that it is certainly better than vanilla Civ V. If you played Civ V then you should have no problem playing Civ VI. The biggest difference is that the cities sprawl across the map instead of being on one hex. It has all the features that Civ V and its expansions had. Not as many civilizations but this is the vanilla release so that is expected. Overall I am liking it alot and I am excited for future DLC and expansions to make this better. I am pretty sure it will be more feature and content complete than Civ V was.

3. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Civ VI is already a ton of fun and has more interesting decisions to be made than Civ V early on.

It has some things to iron out and overall feels easier to win once I navigate the early turns on the same difficulty as I would in V. But even when I am on my way to a win I find it more fun.

4. Mach1

Mach1 Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One odd thing I have noticed is the computer seems to stockpile early era military units and never get rid of them. It's weird when you're in the atomic age and they're coming at you with scouts and spearmen.

5. Taib

Taib Member+

Lazio
    Italy
    Sep 7, 2007
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    The AI does not upgrade units probably as a result of the increased cost in upgrading. In general the AI needs a big patch.

6. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Paid $60, it won't run on my computer because -- I am told -- my graphics card is not compatible. Great.