City General Team Discussion

Discussion in 'Manchester City' started by deadendnights, Nov 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. el travieso

el travieso Member

Jul 27, 2010
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I say they keep Mancini and ballotelli around still.

2. cml1394

cml1394 Member

Apr 5, 2010
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mario's a tough decision but there's no question Mancini needs to get his ass kicked out of town.

3. Respekt

Respekt Red Card

Mar 30, 2012
    Doubt it will be more than 30ME considering he only has two years on his contract left, he wants to leave, and Lille aren't really in need of money.

Well, the Real Madrid island was just an example. There have been other things as well that isn't going to interfere with FFP so I don't get how the transfers will either.

4. StuMCFC

StuMCFC Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 1, 2008
    Manchester
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    This is the team I put together for next season. It factors in the likelihood of Tevez and Dzeko leaving. Kolarov and Johnson I'm not sure will leave but I haven't included them.

Four new signings, three of which would start: one of Cavani/Higuain/Van Persie (world class centre forward) - approximate cost £30m-£40m, Javi Martinez - approximate cost £24million, Eden Hazard - approximate cost £28million, and Jan Vertonghen - approximate cost £12million. I'd also consider signing Pizarro permanently for the deep-lying playmaker option, he'd be very cheap.

Total spending then around £95million which is a lot but we'll be selling Tevez, Adebayor, De Jong, Santa Cruz, Bridge, Weiss, Dzeko (or Balotelli), several fringe players (Cunningham, McGivern, Nimely) and possibly a couple of Kolo, Savic, Kolarov, and Johnson so we'd get at least £70million-£90million incoming + we have Champions League revenue + the Etihad sponsorship starts + a much improved kit deal is supposed to be penned in the summer. The wage bill is going to be slashed hugely in the summer by those outgoings plus Hargreaves.

[​IMG]

Subs: Pantilimon, Vertonghen, Zabaleta, Barry/Milner, Nasri, Balotelli, Guidetti

5. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is a sick lineup! I can see RVP to City happening especially if he wants to stay in England... but how easy will it be to sell players? What kind of wages are they on? Hasn't that been a problem in the past - getting a decent fee/potential buyers for outgoing players due to their wages?

6. StuMCFC

StuMCFC Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 1, 2008
    Manchester
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think only Bridge and Santa Cruz might be difficult to shift because of their wages but do think we'll get a buyer for Santa Cruz after a decent season at Betis. Bridge I'm not as sure about.

Adebayor is on big wages but the problem has been him. We had two offers for him last summer from Zenit and PSG but he personally refused to go. But if Spurs don't sign him he might be strong-armed into leaving as he won't want to play for the reserves.

7. cml1394

cml1394 Member

Apr 5, 2010
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we have funds to buy a star forward I'd much prefer Cavani or Higuain to RVP, because not only is he almost 30 (very small resale value) but he's still incredibly injury prone. 1 totally healthy season in his 6 or 7 years at Arsenal is still an awful record.

Another name to also toss out there is Leandro Damiao. He'd be expensive but not as expensive as Cavani and Higuain, if it comes down to that.

8. cml1394

cml1394 Member

Apr 5, 2010
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If ME is euros and not dollars then I misinterpreted you intially, because euros would be a significantly higher amount and a figure I'd completely agree with.

9. TxTechGooner

TxTechGooner we're having fun here, no?

Feb 24, 2003
    lol

10. cml1394

cml1394 Member

Apr 5, 2010
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chelsea have a team of controlling douchebags, much like Brian Clough when he went to Leeds. I'm not saying AVB is as good or will ever be as good as Clough, I'm just pointing out that his disaster at Chelsea doesn't mean he's a bad manager. I still think he's a good one, Chelsea's entire old guard will be retired or complete shit in a few years, I think it was right to try to overhaul them. If DiMatteo becomes permanant manager and tries to cling to the past with him, they'll be completely out of the top 4 picture in no time.

11. Respekt

Respekt Red Card

Mar 30, 2012
    ME is million euros.

StuMCFC, that is a very good side, but I doubt Vertonghen is any better than Lescott really, at least the Lescott that I've seen this season anyways. Javi Martinez should be signed and played as a centerback because that's all he plays for Bilbao since Bielsa arrived. Better to sign Modric for the midfield, probably the best central midfielder in the Premiership.

12. cml1394

cml1394 Member

Apr 5, 2010
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah, then ya we agree.

13. StuMCFC

StuMCFC Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 1, 2008
    Manchester
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Well, that's it. United didn't even need yet another dodgy decision against QPR to help them this time (but got it anyway for the umpteenth time this season), we undid ourselves.

I can understand why fans may have wanted Mancini out but I've been reluctant... I've supported City all my life and seen us go through managers like hot meals to the point we've had no stability and suffered for it.

But in the event Mourinho is available and only in that event, I'd lean towards him going now.

We played some fantastic football but what does it mean in the end? The most important thing is that we were unable to sustain it, Mancini became more cautious yet again and his own tactical choices led to a less attacking philosophy. He's had two and a half seasons to figure out away games of the Stoke, Everton, and Sunderland type and still has us walking into them like a headless chicken, so much so that the progress of those games is almost like a script every time.

He is one of the top six or so managers in Europe but reminds me too much of "tinker man" Claudio Ranieri, always chopping and changing so there is no continuity or coherency to our team. He's dropped players like Dzeko and Milner when they have been in excellent form and both players never looked the same after. He's refused to spend any of his transfer war chest on wingers just to have the option that could have made the difference in so many of those games where we ran into brick walls, trying to find the perfect pass through the middle.

And most worryingly, his whole calm and suave persona has crumbled in recent weeks with lots of crazy and some downright stupid comments in the media, like fueling the Balotelli debacle ("I don't trust him"... then plays him and yet again his vanity project lets us down with an insipid performance while Dzeko and Tevez sit on the bench). The Sky script called for us to capitulate and bottle it in the final third of the season and Mancini was unable to prevent it as a top manager like Mourinho or Baconface would have.

Yes he may get another season and yes I will support him if he does, but our club want to be the very best and there is no guarantee that Mancini can improve on this season - especially as teams are wiser to our style now so the swashbuckling unbeaten start may not happen next season and Mancini will be forced into a tactical overhaul that may or may not work. Thus, if Mourinho is available and wants the job it's not a fickle thing to want the best manager in the world, who has proven in the past he can outdo Baconface, and who has also proven superior to Baconface in the Champions League.

14. el travieso

el travieso Member

Jul 27, 2010
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I'm conceding too. It's over, city have bottled it. Hope we can still beat the scum at home. Let's get em next year.

15. StuMCFC

StuMCFC Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 1, 2008
    Manchester
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Another thrashing of the scum would ease the pain a little, that's for sure. :)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0G2QaNEsYvY"]Manchester City we never win at home chant - YouTube[/ame]

16. chewie4917

chewie4917 Member

Sep 10, 2011
    Again, as with the match against Sunderland, City struggled to generate any drive through deep in midfield, and it wasn't until Yaya Toure's exit that the team began to take more control in the first half through sporadic link-up plays engineered by Pizarro, Balotelli and Aguero. The problem was that these were too few, and a deep-lying mid who hasn't summed up enough playing time won't bring much change; I think that this is obvious. Both Aguero and Pizarro made a couple of errors here and there, but what I thought was impressive about these two was that at least they tried to play, hold the ball and look for options, despite the fact that the team as a whole struggled to build momentum and hold it for extended periods.

Balotelli; what can I say? How on earth did he manage to stay on the pitch after his first tackle on Alex Song which, in all fairness, deserved a straight red? And, he did it again at least twice, before losing his head completely late in the game. At 21, I'm not sure that anyone can claim that he's still 'young' and 'learning.'

How would his team have responded had he been sent off in the first 30 minutes? It could have been a lot worse.

Regardless of who is in charge next season, would it be worth selling Balotelli to acquire a couple [or more] players? Or, do his positives outweigh his negatives?

17. StuMCFC

StuMCFC Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 1, 2008
    Manchester
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Pizarro is a fantastic footballer who I think Mancini should have played more. That long pass to Mario in the first half that if not for the keeper judging it well would have led to a one-on-one was absolutely sublime. I think most of the best teams have a regista like this and unless we can identify someone else think we should take up the option to buy Pizarro as he will be very cheap.

18. Respekt

Respekt Red Card

Mar 30, 2012
    Stainless display once again, this season has gone incredibly ugly after such a beautiful opening.

19. chewie4917

chewie4917 Member

Sep 10, 2011
    I agree with you. He was a tad unlucky in the goal; I think the bounce caught him off guard, and Arteta took advantage.

But, I'm with you on his game in general. One could argue that he's a bit underrated if you consider his vision and the fact that 90% of his passes are successful; has plenty of hurt-factor.

I'm not sure whether or not Mancini will want him next season. It will be interesting to see what happens.

20. TheEuroStick

TheEuroStick Member+

Aug 8, 2011
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    Mancini is two faced

Oh tevez will never play for mcfc ever again

Ends up begging tevez to come back and save the season

Oh I don't trust Mario no more

If I was Mario's team mate I would punch him daily

Plays Mario while players like Dzeko ,Richards, Nigel sit on the bench and Adam Johnson isn't even in the stadium,

So happy that Mancini and Mario chocked and the world saw that his protege/son is a failure, im am mad that city lost the title but imam glad because mancini ruined Dzekos world class form

21. cml1394

cml1394 Member

Apr 5, 2010
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mancini and Mario need to hop into a car together, drive out of Manchester, and never come back unless it's for a visiting team.

I cannot believe the scums have another title.

22. YankBastard

YankBastard Na Na Na Na NANANANAAA!

Jun 18, 2005
    Estados Unidos
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. StuMCFC

StuMCFC Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 1, 2008
    Manchester
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    He said the same after he almost cut a Kiev player in half last season and has still been too indisciplined this season. I believe he has incredible talent but don't think we can afford all the baggage and problems at this stage of our progress.

24. cml1394

cml1394 Member

Apr 5, 2010
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly. If we were a midtable team in desperate need of quality that's one thing, but with our budget and personnel Mario simply isn't worth it.

25. Fevernova99

Fevernova99 Member

May 3, 2003
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Just when you thought the title race was done we are getting a teaser...