Cities to Visit in Russia 2018

Discussion in 'World Cup 2018 - Russia' started by Ric_Braz, Feb 3, 2018.

?

Which cities do you hope to visit, whether for a game or not, in Russia 2018?

1. Volgograd

13 vote(s)
    15.1%
  2. Ekaterinburg

8 vote(s)
    9.3%
  3. Kaliningrad

16 vote(s)
    18.6%
  4. Kazan

25 vote(s)
    29.1%
  5. Moscow

77 vote(s)
    89.5%
  6. Nizhny Novgorod

25 vote(s)
    29.1%
  7. Rostov-on-Don

13 vote(s)
    15.1%
  8. Saint Petersburg

70 vote(s)
    81.4%
  9. Samara

19 vote(s)
    22.1%
  10. Saransk

7 vote(s)
    8.1%
  11. Sochi

25 vote(s)
    29.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Ric_Braz

Ric_Braz Member+

May 13, 2009
    Wiltshire, UK.
    Club:
    AFC Wimbledon
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Which cities do you hope to visit, whether for a game or not, in Russia 2018?

2. Ric_Braz

Ric_Braz Member+

May 13, 2009
    Wiltshire, UK.
    Club:
    AFC Wimbledon
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    This seems to have ground to a halt surely there are more than 15 people on this board going to Russia!

3. azevedof

azevedof Member

May 1, 2014
    Natal
    Club:
    America Natal
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Can't believe I was the first to vote Rostov-on-Don. Brazilians, where are you at?

BuddhaWake, Ric_Braz and themanlarry repped this.
  4. Ric_Braz

Ric_Braz Member+

May 13, 2009
    Wiltshire, UK.
    Club:
    AFC Wimbledon
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Also where are the 1 million fans that the Russian press have concocted going to Sochi?

themanlarry repped this.
  5. whiskerxx

whiskerxx Member+

May 30, 2006
    Any bright sparks around who can easily extract how many unique members there are posting in the World Cup 2018 - Russia threads?
    It does seem a bit slow given that there are only 125 days to go

6. Ric_Braz

Ric_Braz Member+

May 13, 2009
    Wiltshire, UK.
    Club:
    AFC Wimbledon
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It's mainly because this is such an American dominated site and obviously they won't be there but agree certainly very quiet.

7. lufcinsfo

lufcinsfo Member

leeds united
    Republic of Ireland
    Dec 12, 2017
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    If my experience is typical, people don't know enough about Russian cities to have an opinion on which they'd like to visit.

Over the last few months, I've been asking friends to name as many cities in Russia as they can. Each of these friends could easily name 5-10 cities in Germany, France, Spain, and Italy but they struggle to get beyond the big two in Russia. The most commonly named other cities are Sochi (because of the Olympics), Stalingrad (they don't know it's now called Volgograd), and Kiev(!). A couple of people mentioned Novgorod but I suspect they meant Veliky Novgorod, not Nizhny Novgorod.

Maybe your friends are smarter than mine but you might have fun trying the same quiz.

8. Ric_Braz

Ric_Braz Member+

May 13, 2009
    Wiltshire, UK.
    Club:
    AFC Wimbledon
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    This would tend to suggest that only 20 people on the BigSoccer forum are going to Russia! That can't be right.

9. R_Raskolnikoff

VFB Stuttgart
    Germany
    Feb 9, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I will visit Moscow, St Petersburg, Samara and Rostov and will be in Russia 12-15 days depending on the constellation of the quarter finals. I can't vote in the table however. Is it because I need a certain amount of posts? (new member)

10. R_Raskolnikoff

VFB Stuttgart
    Germany
    Feb 9, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    It worked after my 3rd post now.

themanlarry repped this.
  11. BuddhaWake

BuddhaWake Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Philadelphia
    I like doing touristy stuff like going to museums and churches and stuff but I'll also be going with a terrible two-er (he's actually not that bad). So... this means I'll probably be able to do only 1 thing per day and for a very short period of time.

12. Ric_Braz

Ric_Braz Member+

May 13, 2009
    Wiltshire, UK.
    Club:
    AFC Wimbledon
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Hurrah, Saransk have got a visitor.

rafael_mia repped this.
  13. ChristianRevolution

Oct 27, 2017
    I have matches in Saransk , N,.Novgorod and Samara.
    My HQ will be Penza , and on free days I hope to see Ulyanovsk , and another one (still thinking between Saratov and Cheboksary or Yoshkar Ola). It will depend from transports and my level of fatigue.

On the way to Moscow from N.Novgorod , i will stop at Vladimir (golden Ring)

Second week I sell my tickets and will go to Far East Russia and possibly to Japan. This is the magic of the FAN -ID acting as a Multi-entry Visa :)

Unfortunately I have ruled out a couple of cities, but for those who will be in north/west russia , i suggest they visit Yaroslavl , or even Novgorod (not Nizhniy novgorod).
    Russia is full of gems. But as someone mentioned , most of people don't have any idea or are not so tempted to go off the beaten tracks.

14. rafael_mia

rafael_mia Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Oct 31, 2017
    I am the one! I'll be there to watch Panama x Tunisia... well, I THINK I'll be there, I don't know yet if it will be valuable, as it's too expensive to get an accommodation there.

ChristianRevolution repped this.
  15. ChristianRevolution

Oct 27, 2017
    I will be there too but wont sleep there as it is outrageous.

16. rafael_mia

rafael_mia Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Oct 31, 2017
    Same match? How do you will gonna do? I'll came from Moscow or Nizhny, don't know yet, but so far it's almost imposible to go without sleep.

17. Fataliste

Fataliste Member

Feb 3, 2018
    Fez
    What is more intersting for tourism ? Spend more time in St Petersburg or in Moscow ?

18. ChristianRevolution

Oct 27, 2017
    #18 ChristianRevolution, Feb 22, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
    What are you matches ? tell me the dates and time.
    As per me , I have two little issues :
    1-to move from a match in Saransk at 21.00 to Samara the next day at 14.00 , knowing that I won't sleep in Saransk (as I will have accomodation in Penza). The only good news is that I won't have a luggage with me. So I am considering blablacar , which seems to be the cheapest and fastest way , compared to train and public bus.

2-I will move from Penza to watch a match in N.Novgorod , i can take a public bus , that s not an issue. But I will go with my luggage and then need a place to put the luggage somewhere to see the match , then get it back. Then the next day I have 20 free hours before to fly to east russia from moscow . So I was thinking to take a train (or blablacar) to Vladimir and stop there in the middle of the night.

EDIT : I have a third problem. Still not sure where I will sleep in Moscow on the night of the 29th to the 30th. I refuse to pay crazy prices for hotels.

All this logistics is very difficult in Russia unfortunately. Distances don't make it fun.

19. ChristianRevolution

Oct 27, 2017
    Never been there but I have always heard that St Petersburg is much better.

Fataliste and themanlarry repped this.
  20. Ric_Braz

Ric_Braz Member+

May 13, 2009
    Wiltshire, UK.
    Club:
    AFC Wimbledon
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    You did get this answered ion TA by a really helpful Russian.

Fataliste repped this.
  21. rafael_mia

rafael_mia Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Oct 31, 2017
    Well, that's what I'm pretending to do:

I'll be based in Moscow. I'll watch game 37, in jun 26th at Luzhniki, than next day I'll go to Nizhny, game 42 that finishes 23:00 and next day I'll have a game in Saransk, game 46 that finishes 23:00 too. Probably I'll leave Moscow 27th by the morning, I hope I can sleep or in a night train or in Nizhny from 27 to 28th, and next night in Saransk or in a night train to Moscow.

I can say that I'm lost and I don't know what to do yet, Saransk is almost impossible to get a place with reasonable prices...=/

22. ChristianRevolution

Oct 27, 2017
    Yes man , Saransk is totally overpriced. Are you looking for an accomodation ?

23. rafael_mia

rafael_mia Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Oct 31, 2017
    I looked a few weeks ago and almost gave up. I hope the hotels and hostels stop increase their prices, otherwise I'll try to take a night train right after the game...

24. lufcinsfo

lufcinsfo Member

leeds united
    Republic of Ireland
    Dec 12, 2017
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    The FIFA hotels site has availability at a price that isn't too outrageous. The only problem is the 2-night minimum. Who wants to spend two nights in Saransk?

25. Donal

Donal Member

Arsenal
    Republic of Ireland
    Jan 13, 2018
    Poland 4 days
    Kaliningrad 1 day,
    Petersburg 4 days
    Moscow 5 days
    Nizhny Novgorod 2 days

That's my trip.

ChristianRevolution repped this.