Cities that can afford a team

Discussion in 'MLS: Expansion' started by dredgfan, Jan 4, 2017.

1. dredgfan

dredgfan Member+

MLS
    Nov 5, 2004
    Denver or NOLA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. dredgfan

dredgfan Member+

MLS
    Nov 5, 2004
    Denver or NOLA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mods, place where best...

3. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm calling shenanigans...........

Buffalo - Niagara Falls can't support any pro teams according to this...........even though they already support an NFL and an NHL team. Yet somehow the market couldn't support an MLS team, but Syracuse can????? I grew up in the Cuse...........We support Cuse Basketball and LAX, that's it.

Unak78, The One X and CrazyJ628 repped this.
  4. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    #4 SiberianThunderT, Jan 4, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
    It's not an analysis of whether you can support your existing teams, it whether a new team can be added. Basically it's asking "how much disposable income does your city currently (still) have, and how does that compare to what a new team in X league would drain?" Notice, for example, that the "available income" column for Buffalo is negative - in other words, it already has more sports team than one would expect for a metro of its economic clout.

That said, it's a 5-year-old article; many of the numbers for the big cities have already changed. My hometown STL, for example, has lost its NFL team, so instead of having personal available income in the -$40m range, it should be down to around a -$7m range.

5. Footsatt

Footsatt Member+

Apr 8, 2008
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good news for Metro-Detroit. In 2010 total personal income was 170 mil, in 2015 it has gone up to 201 mil. I don't know if this is enough to put a yes in the Detroit box, because the sports franchise numbers go up too.

6. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Considering Detroit was listed at -$23m, the rise in TPI from 170 to 201 only barely gets them out of the hole... The table above seems to think that adding an MLS team amounts to about $15 API, and the other leagues much more, so by that (overly simplistic) economic argument, even adding an MLS team would still be "too much" for the city.

7. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    ...okay, I was scrolling up to the top of the page to go continue browsing BigSoccer, but a "2.7" in the number-of-teams column caught my eye and made me go WTF. That's for Milwaukee, and it corresponds to an "0.3" for Green Bay, so I guess that's gotta be the Packers, but why in the world is it split like that? The article says it's just assigned like that, but why do that for Green Bay and not any other small-town teams?

Footsatt repped this.
  8. dredgfan

dredgfan Member+

MLS
    Nov 5, 2004
    Denver or NOLA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Milwaukee comes out on top of my rankings because I am assigning them a 70% share in supporting the Green Bay Packers. The cities in the top three (Milwaukee, Cleveland and Denver) reveal an interesting problem: as it decreases in popularity, Major League Baseball is going to find it increasingly difficult to support the current franchise load. Eight of the ten teams in the top ten field MLB franchises and would clear their gap by losing those teams.

9. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    That's not the answer for the question I was asking. I said in my previous post
    My point is that the 70-30 split used seems entirely arbitrary, so the question is not what the split is, but why it was assigned as such in the first place, and why other small-city teams didn't see similar splits with their nearby larger metros.

10. Footsatt

Footsatt Member+

Apr 8, 2008
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or medium sized markets like Detroit could be split with small neighboring markets like Ann Arbor. I don't get why a city like Pontiac or Rochester Hills is considered metro-Detroit and Ann Arbor isn't.

11. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    6 years old and certainly pointless for the now Ramless STL

12. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Definitely agree about the age of the article, as I said in my first post here, but not entirely pointless, since even with the Rams leaving, STL is still "in the hole" in terms of API unless TPI has gone up enough in those years as well.

13. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    But sports teams do not rely on personal income.
    They make their money off of corporate at ions and TV

The One X repped this.
  14. tallguy

tallguy Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    MoCoLand, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interestingly enough, Cincinnati, St. Louis, Salt Lake City & Indianapolis don't enough disposable individual income to afford teams in any of the 5 national professional sports while Rochester, Honolulu & Louisville have the income to support all the the national sports except for MLB. And, Harrisburg, Boise & Fort Wayne have enough disposable individual income to afford a Major League Soccer team.

I assume Garber will be thrilled to hear this.

The One X repped this.
  15. Tobias C

Tobias C Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 6, 2014
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Toledo, Ohio?? I mean I'm flattered but I think USL would suffice here.

16. The Franchise

The Franchise Member+

Nov 13, 2014
    Bakersfield, CA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To afford an additional team in any sport, not that they can't necessarily afford the ones they have.

While not all of the assumptions the author makes are completely valid, the basic premise is sound: that each team takes resources to support. There are markets that can support some (two to four) top level pro teams, but not more. Each team uses up some of the population's disposable income and business sponsorship dollars.

Another premise the list incorrectly incorporates is that MLS is basically static. The league was not, and still is not, content with current circumstances. It wants to be bigger, to get more support (and spend more money). A city which could support a 2011 MLS team may not be one that can support a team in 2017, let alone in 2030. As such, the list works better if one assumes that the league wants to be in cities that can support a team in the NBA, NFL, or NHL, because that's the sort of weight the league wants to have when built out. When examining it that way, the analysis makes more sense.

Frankly, the best thing about the list and its article is how it illustrates the problem of Major League Baseball--there really aren't many markets that can properly support a team for 81 games a year. The only markets it sees as definitely viable for a new or relocating MLB team are really big cities which already have a team or two.

17. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    I'd love an explanation here.
    STL supported an NFL team pretty damn well for 20 years.
    That team is gone.
    That team uses substantially MORE disposable income than MLS would
    Where did all that disposable income that is no longer being used on the Rams go?

18. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Well, for one, as The Franchise pointed out, tallguy doesn't seem to be interpreting the article correctly. The table is talking about potentially adding teams to the market, not necessarily about how well they've supported their existing franchises.

That said, particularly in STL's case, it provides some insight into the existing sports landscape of the city. The Rams leaving DID give a bunch of disposable income back to STL. But the article posted here pointed out that STL, as a city, was so far "in the hole" in terms of disposable income with the three teams it had that, even with the Rams gone, the city's still "overspent" for its sports $$.

19. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    Which shows why the article is flawed.
    If, according to the article's numbers, STL could effectively support a team when "in the hole" in terms of disposable income, it is strong evidence that this "disposable income" is not an accurate measure of a cities ability to support a team.

Glad to see people are finally figuring out that this poll, which has been pulled out time and time again over the last 5 years, is total crap not worth the paper it is written on.

The One X and Footsatt repped this.
  20. tallguy

tallguy Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    MoCoLand, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The study clearly states that a number of cities that are presumed to be frontrunners for a new MLS team don't have the disposable individual income to support a team. What could be more clear than that?

21. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    It's clear what it says.
    But it's also clear that it's premise is entirely flawed.

FFS, the most over-extended cities have great attendance at their sporting events.

22. Footsatt

Footsatt Member+

Apr 8, 2008
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and some of them have a history of supporting 3 or 4 franchises for 50 plus years.

The One X and Sport Billy repped this.
  23. The One X

The One X Member+

Sep 9, 2014
    Indiana
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    I have a hard time taking these kinds of studies seriously. There are obvious flaws in their methodology.

Sport Billy repped this.
  24. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States