Cincinnati?

Discussion in 'FC Cincinnati' started by CrazyJ628, Jul 30, 2007.

1. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
  2. Traumer

Traumer Member

Feb 25, 2016
    Cincinnati
    I think we have a competent FO like Orlando. They won in USL, drew huge crowds, and spent money. They also struggled in MLS.

Atlanta spent massively in part because their stadium situation allowed it and they had a manager with amazing South American connections. Los Angeles is an elite US city that can command certain signings, most people outside the US don't know Cincinnati exists or where it is. Cincinnati's best models to follow would be Portland or Kansas City.

3. Traumer

Traumer Member

Feb 25, 2016
    Cincinnati
    Almost certainly. Koch is loved by management and we are getting results. Even if we bomb out of the playoffs again I don't see them changing direction at this critical junction.

4. TheRealBilbo

TheRealBilbo Member+

Apr 5, 2016
    The thing about duplicating someone else's model for success is that a lot of people try it, and many fail.

FC Cincinnati has built a strong team with a huge following. People talk about it. They are successful on the field.

I'm not sure what their supposed model is, or if it's the Portland or Kansas City model. What I know is that they should keep on doing what they are doing and soon, other teams will be wanting to follow the Cincinnati model.

5. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Looking back on this thread, who would have thought back from July 2007-2012 or in early April 2016 an MLS would start in 2019?

Good job Cincinnati! :thumbsup:

Jul 30, 2007

Jul 27, 2012

Apr 5, 2016

6. Traumer

Traumer Member

Feb 25, 2016
    Cincinnati
    We are relatively successful in a league where we outspend other clubs. Louisville had a fraction of money we did in 2017 and were far better than us. The issue shifting to MLS is we will likely be middle of the pack budget wise. Not a very fiscally conservative side, but we can't expect to cover issues up via spending.

The fan interest is there, but I know Cincinnati and its people, we are fatalist. There is a cloud of despair that exists in our sports scene and if cracks in FCC armor show after a few years in MLS then I sadly could see the goodwill built start to fade. Why I agree with the 21,000 stadium design that will lock in more hardcore fans. On the flip side, if FCC brings a title to this town it will be the oasis in the desert people will drink from for a long time.

7. Traumer

Traumer Member

Feb 25, 2016
    Cincinnati
    I honestly cannot disagree with the feelings back then. Even going into FC Cincinnati I was hopeful we might get 8-10K, and now people would be worried if we were to fail to get 20K. The city has changed and this club has tapped into something converting a lot of people to the sport. Those old school sport radio guys have essentially thrown their hands up because they can no longer deny the appeal. Some of them have even become fans.

8. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yeah I think that has more to do with the old timers not wanting soccer overtaking their major sports or rather, the NCAA, NFL , MLB and NBA. Not sure how it is in the mid west but in the Bay Area, rarely are local sports talk show hosts talking about the sport. You would think by now or after all these years, most of the mainstream will have accepted it as a viable game as its indoctrinated in most youthg sports leagues. I think though it has to do with being afraid of soccer more than anything else. If soccer overtakes sports fans, the big time sports league can and will suffer. I'm sure many people will hate that.

9. Traumer

Traumer Member

Feb 25, 2016
    Cincinnati
    A big plus to this day and age is gatekeepers in sport media have lost power. People can watch or listen online to get soccer fix. Newpapers and radio adjusted because they could see demographics they were missing out on. Many people who grew up in 50s-80s struggle to understand how much sporting culture changed because it wasn't a switch overnight, it has been slowly building.

Auriaprottu repped this.
  10. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yeah this is true. I do recall however, before the Internet , when the old NASL went big from at least 1974 until maybe 1981 in selected soccer cities, there was a huge amount of interest on local radio , TV and newspapers. Then it died when the league folded. The way you listen to some sports journalists talk though, they are real biased and have a total disdain for the sport and disregard it as foreign.

11. Justin O

Justin O Member+

Seattle Sounders
    United States
    Nov 30, 1998
    on the run from the covid
    Club:
    Seattle
    What is the sports talk radio listener demographic these days? There can't be a lot of under 40s. I think that is an increasingly irrelevant way to assess popularity.

12. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I stopped listening when Jim Rome and Eric Wynalda got in a fight....or the threat of a fight. I forget which...

13. TheRealBilbo

TheRealBilbo Member+

Apr 5, 2016
    Twitch needs a soccer channel.

14. Traumer

Traumer Member

Feb 25, 2016
    Cincinnati
    It definitely skews older (I'd guess average listener is 50+), but it is the strongest voice in local media with sports. They know it is the hot thing with under 40 crowd, but their existing audience is resistant to it. I find more people go to Reddit or listen to fan podcasts like Cincy Soccer Talk than put up with show having angry callers complaining about our sport.

15. Cincy Liverpool fan

Fc Cincinnati
    Jun 16, 2015
    Cincinnati, USA
    Club:
    Cincinnati Kings
    one of us thought it would be a slam dunk

16. Cincy Liverpool fan

Fc Cincinnati
    Jun 16, 2015
    Cincinnati, USA
    Club:
    Cincinnati Kings
    Radio still has a very large audience in Cincy (and Ohio) what’s been surprising is the way the talk radio crowd has been drawn to the team. It’s not just a bunch of 20 year olds

17. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hello, Cincinnati fans!
    Crew fan here.
    I hear “Dong Arber” is coming to the Queen City on Tuesday.
    That can only mean one thing, so...
    CONGRATULATIONS!!
    While there are some Crew fans apposed to Cinci in ML$, I speak for what I believe to be a majority who want FCC in ML$. Bring on the Hell Is Real Derby!! Such a rivalry can certainly *help* the league.
    If LA and NY can have two teams, why not two large midwestern cities, even if we are only 75 miles apart? Let’s show the coasters that this isn’t flyover country!
    Obviously, we very well could lose our team. What happens will probably be determined by how things in Austin unfold, what happens behind the scenes, and the outcome of the Modell lawsuit.
    It was discussed on the Crew boards about Save the Crew people going to Cinci on Tues. While there may be individuals who show up in yellow, I think the general consensus is that this is *your* day, and we shouldn’t commandeer it.
    However, I would imagine many of you would like to see a Hell Is Real rivalry blossom, and would be enthused about road tripping to Cbus (and watching hopefully in a new downtown Cbus stadium!)
    If you are so inclined, it might aid the cause to have a “Hell Is Real Derby” sign with both the FCC and Crew logos at the announcement. Or even a “Save the Crew” sign but in blue and orange, NOT in yellow.
    Just a musing from a fan who wants to see a rivalry.
    (A “Save the Crew” chant might be asking too much, but I’ll put it out there anyway.[emoji6])
    Again, congratulations! Let the rivalry begin! I’ll end with a little bit of smack. You’re not really going to be called Fussball Club Cincinnati, are you? The first thing I think of is spinning the rods playing table soccer in a bar. Are you going to play in a rigid 2-3-5?[emoji16]
    Also, your badge. I can’t help but notice, at the very top, is a pentagon that looks suspiciously like the shape of our old “village people” shield. As it should be, Crew above FCC![emoji16]
    Bring it on!

Titanole and falvo repped this.
  18. EPJr

EPJr Member+

Los Angeles FC
    United States
    Mar 21, 2009
    Richmond VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mayor John Cranley declared that today is officially “Orange & Blue Day” in the City Of Cincy!
    [​IMG]
    So make sure you do your civic duty and head to our downtown shop to get your ahead of tonight’s festivities!

OWN(yewu)ED repped this.
  19. EPJr

EPJr Member+

Los Angeles FC
    United States
    Mar 21, 2009
    Richmond VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. EPJr

EPJr Member+

Los Angeles FC
    United States
    Mar 21, 2009
    Richmond VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. Traumer

Traumer Member

Feb 25, 2016
    Cincinnati
    1. I want Columbus to stay both on principle and for a rivalry, I see no reason why Ohio cannot have two teams.
    2. I hope it is a peaceful celebration for Cincinnati as big day for many of us fans and some people may not be aware of the Crew situation.

Tobias C and TKyle repped this.
  22. EPJr

EPJr Member+

Los Angeles FC
    United States
    Mar 21, 2009
    Richmond VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hhhhmmmmmmmmm, I wonder what they got up their sleeve. I mean, it could be annnnything :D . Looks like itll be a fun time guys.

Congrats guys, you saw Sac and Detroit stumble at the finish line, and saw a chance to better your odds with the West End location. It was high risk, high reward.........and you got the high reward. Very smart, shrewd move to get back to the drawing board knowing what happened to the competition to get the absolute perfect bid together.

24. EPJr

EPJr Member+

Los Angeles FC
    United States
    Mar 21, 2009
    Richmond VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. EPJr

EPJr Member+