Cincinnati?

Discussion in 'FC Cincinnati' started by CrazyJ628, Jul 30, 2007.

1. catfish9

catfish9 Member+

Jul 14, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This territory thing is starting to have less and less meaning. Take note of SKC, Philly Union, Fire, DC's academies. They are pulling kids from other areas of country starting to even go out of country.

Pittsburgh for example has become battle ground for Crew and Dc as of late - both pulling kids to their academies. SKCs recent young HG signing as from Carolinas I believe. Even the Casa Grande set up had kids form all over country not just AZ. Philly has like 8 kids from all over the place living in one house together with a house mom shuttling them to practices in a big van provided by the club.

As MLS has better coverage of the country with more and more teams territories will shrink. Can't wait to see clubs chasing after same 11 yo kid and starting a bidding war. Will make college recruiting look like a children's book.

2. catfish9

catfish9 Member+

Jul 14, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As a crew Fan as well, I welcome Cincy or Detroit or Indy. Crap it would be great if all of them were in MLS. All clubs would have to work really hard to keep up with each other. They could learn form one another. nd I concur I think ultimateley it would be better financially for everyone.

3. Todorojo

Todorojo Member

Oct 27, 2008
    South Weber, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    You make a decent point, but it is completely limited. Each team has a set number of exemptions they can use to bring in players from anywhere outside their territory. I am unsure of the current numbers, but as of a few years ago I believe the number of exemptions ranged from 2-7 players per team. The bigger markets had fewer exemptions than the smaller markets. So, although you can bring in some talent from where ever you want, the vast majority of players in an organizations academy are still pulled from their own territory, and it still matters quite a bit.

The Franchise repped this.
  4. hipityhop

hipityhop Member

New Mexico United
    United States
    Jan 10, 1999
    Mission TX
    Club:
    SønderjyskE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Also it would be nice for all involved if either Louisville Nashville get in tooo. Great for all the teams listed.

5. aetraxx7

aetraxx7 Member+

Jun 25, 2005
    Des Moines, IA
    Club:
    Des Moines Menace
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I see a pull coming between KC and Minnesota too. Shortly after their rebrand, SKC laid claim to a good chunk of the existing Iowa clubs, but most are nearly as close to Minnesota. Sure, Iowa is not a bastion of soccer talent right now, but with the sparse population in this region, every little bit helps.

6. Initial B

Initial B Member

Jan 29, 2014
    Club:
    Ottawa Fury
    What, the Trillium Cup doesn't strike your fancy? Or is it the border crossing that gives you problems? :p

7. Cincy Liverpool fan

Fc Cincinnati
    Jun 16, 2015
    Cincinnati, USA
    Club:
    Cincinnati Kings
    Our USL Rivalry will be second to none. gonna be pretty embarrassing for the mls when one of the best upcoming soccer rivalries in America occurs Outside their league

8. Cincy Liverpool fan

Fc Cincinnati
    Jun 16, 2015
    Cincinnati, USA
    Club:
    Cincinnati Kings
    hehehe

9. Cincy Liverpool fan

Fc Cincinnati
    Jun 16, 2015
    Cincinnati, USA
    Club:
    Cincinnati Kings
    nailed it.

10. Traumer

Traumer Member

Feb 25, 2016
    Cincinnati
    In fairness two years ago I would have said to temper expectations in Cincinnati as someone who desperately wanted the sport to succeed. Even after I put down for season tickets early on I had real concerns if we'd get 10,000 people in such a large stadium. The renders had a dozen tarps to artificially reduce capacity pushing people to the sides.

Of 100 possible scenarios of how Cincinnati could have gone, we're seeing among the top 5 best case ones play out. The fact that someone I knew who hated, hated soccer, with a passion up to 2016 is now a 2018 season ticket holder speaks volumes of the impressive impact FCC has made in the area.

What we really need now is a championship for a city that has had a loser complex for past 25 years to finally bring this to a climax. People are happy, but begging for a winner. We have that opportunity with the resources available for USL level. I'd say if we win USL we could see 25,000+ average happen.

11. Cincy Liverpool fan

Fc Cincinnati
    Jun 16, 2015
    Cincinnati, USA
    Club:
    Cincinnati Kings
    We aren't going to do that constantly changing personnel and line ups tho. I understand wanting to win but the beautiful game requires chemistry to develop.
    Edit: the posts I quoted above are actually from 2007(!) the ten year guy nailed It.

12. TheRealBilbo

TheRealBilbo Member+

Apr 5, 2016
    Two years ago, I remember talking to Berding and the coach (what was his name?!?) at one of the local breweries and they said they'd be in MLS in 2020.

Until then, I'm hoping to attend another MLS Cup in Columbus.

Cincy Liverpool fan repped this.
  13. Traumer

Traumer Member

Feb 25, 2016
    Cincinnati
    Our main issue in 2017 was lack of consistency week to week, and I agree that has to be addressed for 2018.

That said, winning in USL is different animal than top leagues. You cannot expect to hold onto quality players, but they have huge value if you want to win. If we discover a great player domestically or internationally the odds are you will lose him in a year or two.

We lost Okoli last year, and right now hearing might lose Delbridge. For me you go out and find the best possible players that fit your system and then try within reason to give them incentive to stay.

We have a limited window right now where winning in 2018-2020 range is huge for the club's image and future. If we make the jump to MLS it will be a lot harder. I look at Orlando who did so much right including some big signings and they couldn't make the playoffs this year. If we fail at USL and MLS in the coming decade I am worried the support could fade with Cincinnati's state of cynicism and fatalism.

14. TheRealBilbo

TheRealBilbo Member+

Apr 5, 2016
    In other words, you expect FC Cincinnati will have better pitching than the Reds.

hipityhop and Cincy Liverpool fan repped this.
  15. Cincy Liverpool fan

Fc Cincinnati
    Jun 16, 2015
    Cincinnati, USA
    Club:
    Cincinnati Kings
    Just going through old posts, Cincinnati and Columbus are very different places. Columbus represents the northern half of the state and the eastern, Cincinnati is kind of their own state which reaches into south east Indiana, southwest Ohio and northern Kentucky. Culturally we might as well be on opposite sides of the ocean,

hipityhop and tallguy repped this.
  16. Traumer

Traumer Member

Feb 25, 2016
    Cincinnati
  17. Traumer

Traumer Member

Feb 25, 2016
    Cincinnati
    This is huge and areal sign of sponsorship might Lindner commands in Cincinnati and how FCC has made companies take notice. In USL and could have an top tier MLS shirt sponsor? We would have the ability to easily outspend anyone in USL for two years should it all come to past.

18. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hipityhop and OWN(yewu)ED repped this.
  19. Traumer

Traumer Member

Feb 25, 2016
    Cincinnati
    Interview on 700 WLW today

Berding: "The benefit of the Ovation site is that they've got a great TIF. The challenge we've had with that site is timing, just when does the hotel, etc get built, to get that TIF. We've had a breakthrough in the past two days."

This tells me the issues in Oakley dragging its heels means Newport is in full swing. I'd expect something formal announced next week, these are the critical days of where FCC will be geographically and league wise.

20. Cincy Liverpool fan

Fc Cincinnati
    Jun 16, 2015
    Cincinnati, USA
    Club:
    Cincinnati Kings
    If it's Newport, let's close the deal. I don't like how close they are cutting it

21. Traumer

Traumer Member

Feb 25, 2016
    Cincinnati
    I agree, this past week has me worried whole MLS bid went from sure thing to falling apart.

29th of November the City will consider the Oakley site...the MLS deadline is the 1st of December. I cannot conceive that is enough time to work it out. No wonder ownership made big moves to get complete picture and establish which site.

22. Cincy Liverpool fan

Fc Cincinnati
    Jun 16, 2015
    Cincinnati, USA
    Club:
    Cincinnati Kings
    Yea, I saw that earlier on twitter. not a chance. Jeff would have to be a fool to cut it that close (and he is most certainly not a fool). Just heard he will hold a press conference at 3:30 regarding the stadium site(s)

23. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    nervous for you guys..........hope you can pull it off. They gotta know how high the stakes are for dicking around. Sacramento had that heart attack with the dual bids thing, cant have any room for mistakes this close, and absolutes need to be absolutes. Its thin ice and you got time to get it across the finish line, but not much. margin for error is extremely small.

Worst case, do what Sacramento did and just keep those attendance figures up and youll be shoe-ins next go around

24. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States