Cincinnati?

Discussion in 'FC Cincinnati' started by CrazyJ628, Jul 30, 2007.

1. CrazyJ628

CrazyJ628 Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    The center of the Earth
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    What does everyone think?
    Pro's:
    Nice sized media market
    Lots of big corporations
    Great area for youth soccer
    Stadium sites available (Broadway Commons)

Cons
    Major league city (Bengals and Reds)
    Very conservative media that hates change (700 WLW A.M.)

BTW: No one is really going to bring a team to Cincy. But let's say Drew Carey can't get a stadium built in Cleveland? I say move on down to the Queen City, Drew.

flippin269 repped this.
  2. IlliniOnFire

IlliniOnFire Hostile AND Abusive

Oct 8, 2006
    Southern Illinois
    I don't think there is any need for more than 2 teams in Ohio, and it seems like Cleveland is more likely at this point.

I think Cinci falls into the category of "cities that MLS might be interested in 10 years from now if an investor shows up"

3. Flyer00

Flyer00 New Member

Jul 30, 2007
    Cincinnati, OH
    I really wish the MLS would look at Cincinnati. Nippert Stadium (on UC's campus) would be a perfect place to play if they didn't want to build a stadium in the beginning. It sure would save me a lot of gas money driving up to Columbus for the games.

Plus, Cleveland already has three pro teams :)

Traumer and superdave repped this.
  4. flippin269

flippin269 Member+

Aug 3, 2003
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Name one MLS city/market that doesn't have another major league team. Even the smallest markets for 2008 (Salt Lake City, Columbus, Kansas City) have at least NBA or NHL. The next expansion teams will more than likely also have at least one other major league team already there.

Also, every MLS market has a soccer-hater journalist bashing their hometown team or MLS in general. Journalism will not deter a soccer team from wanting to move to a viable market. If it did, MLS wouldn't exist in the first place.

hipityhop repped this.
  5. CrazyJ628

CrazyJ628 Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    The center of the Earth
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    I don't think you understand my point. There are pros and cons and competing with the Reds and Bengals would be a obstacle to overcome in Cincinnati. Plus the city is a bastion of isolationist conservatives who may not want to support pro soccer.

I think Cincy would make a fine MLS city, but like any city, it would have to overcome some obstacles.

6. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think ones politics plays any part in whether they like soccer or not....:rolleyes:

I think it would be cool to eventually have 3 teams in Ohio.

3 MLS teams...maybe not but 2 MLS and 1 USL-1 and you could play for the Ohio Cup or something like that. It would be good for Ohio soccer.

7. Wulfe

Wulfe New Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Zenit St Petersburg
    Cons
    Major league city (Bengals and Reds)
    Very conservative media that hates change (700 WLW A.M.)

Bro what are you talking about 700 WLW support every team in Cincinnati!:rolleyes: they stuck with the Bengals and Reds through thick and thin!;) Hahahaha
    A Cincinnati MLS team would have very little

8. Wulfe

Wulfe New Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Zenit St Petersburg

9. Wulfe

Wulfe New Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Zenit St Petersburg
    Sorry I posted 2 I'm new to this!

10. MD-Law-

MD-Law- Member

Jun 29, 2009
    Winona, MN
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yo, why not drive an hour north to Dayton and support the Dutch Lions? That's your best option to help bring MLS to the Miami Valley. Anything is possible but be grateful that you live within an hours of a pro-side, unlike me who drives two and a half hours to Chicago several times a year for a game.

11. soccerbetic

soccerbetic Member

Feb 3, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]
    only if they call themselves the Kids and Pete Rose is behind it all

12. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    I think they'd have to be called the Flying Turkeys in honor of Les Nessman and the Big Guy.

Len repped this.
  13. ManuSooner

ManuSooner Member+

Nov 15, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I totally understand what you mean. Here in Oklahoma City the "Sports Animal" WWLS should literally be called the "Sooner and Thunder Animal". That's pretty much ALL they will talk about.
    Probably the most popular host on the station, Al, will actually hang up on anyone who even MENTIONS soccer, and another host is one of the lead sports columnist for The Oklahoman, who famously editorialized in 1994 that he didn't CARE if the World Cup was here, or that it was the most popular sport in the world. He wouldn't watch a minute of it.
    Like I said, I get what youre saying

14. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Looked online but couldn't find anything. Looking at the college team at Xavier nationally ranked, is there or has there ever been any news about Cincinnati going pro in the near future possibly in USL or NASL and maybe later on eventually in MLS? Just curious...

15. CCSUltra

CCSUltra Member+

Nov 18, 2008
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cincinnati had a USL team for awhile, the Kings. They didn't draw to well, and 2007 was the last year.

16. SYoshonis

SYoshonis Member+

Jun 8, 2000
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They're still around, in the PDL.

17. CCSUltra

CCSUltra Member+

Nov 18, 2008
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bahhh, I knew that. I meant to say 2007 was their last year in a pro league.

18. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Do any PDL clubs draw well really? I mean aren't attendance numbers pretty dismal as a general rule in that tier?

19. CCSUltra

CCSUltra Member+

Nov 18, 2008
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Depends on the team. Some do (like Des Moines) and some don't.

aetraxx7 repped this.
  20. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yeah Laurie Calloway (their former head coach) who just got fired told me they drew a lot of fans for a PDL club. Other than them though, he said most clubs don't really draw all that many fans...

21. aetraxx7

aetraxx7 Member+

Jun 25, 2005
    Des Moines, IA
    Club:
    Des Moines Menace
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Menace are fortunate to have a passionate owner that utilizes his business (Kum & Go convenience stores), as well as other local businesses to promote the Menace. K&G runs Menace promotions all summer long, at least throughout the metro (I assume around most, if not all of their footprint). "Game tonight" signs appear at all of the K&G stores and in various places around the metro. Menace iconography appears on K&G fountain machines and cups, as well as store brand water and snacks.
    Further, many of the players get internships within the larger corporate organization of Krause Gentle. Some work in the Menace office, some for K&G, some for Solar (fuel transportatio), some for the various snack brands. Quite a few end up sticking around after the college and PDL careers wrap up, which is where the Iowa Menace USASA team gets its players every year.
    On top of that, the Menace have academies, partnerships with youth clubs, select teams, and all of the trappings that higher level teams have.
    From top to bottom the team is very professionally run.
    Oh, and the owner spends every game at a sideline table at midfield among the fans. He will occasionally show up at pre and post game gatherings at local bars and buy a few rounds. Back when the team was in a stadium that could have a beer tent just outside the gate, he'd spend time there hanging out and talking with fans.
    It would be nice if Cincy and other PDL markets could function like this...

22. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Calloway they were a good organization. I'm still trying to find out why they let him go?

Anyway, I also remember the Cincinnati Kids but never knew until now that Pete Rose was their owner.
    [​IMG]

23. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And from reading the comments from the president, they are never going to get MLS with that attitude. The days of a Timbers or whatever retrofit on old stadiums have passed us bye.

aetraxx7 repped this.
  25. CrazyJ628

CrazyJ628 Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    The center of the Earth
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    The good news is that the owner of FC Cincinnati also owns a big chunk of land north of the city that's partially occupied by the Linder Tennis Center. In my dream world, they'd build Avaya Stadium East in downtown or the Over the Rhine neighborhood, but real estate is at a premium in Cincinnati and you're not getting any $ from Hamilton County. Move to the tennis center and you have land and you're in Warren County.

msilverstein47 repped this.