Christian Pulisic Thread

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by ussoccer97531, Oct 21, 2015.

1. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Not slapping the Duke around or anything but this was a good write up on Pulisic's game today:

http://www.fearthewall.com/2016/1/30/10875778/dortmund-2-0-ingolstadt-player-ratings

Pulisic 7: Wow. Pulisic, 17 years old, came on in the 68th minute and looked immediately like a game changing player. He played on the left, coming on for Ramos, and looked a hell of a lot better than the experienced Colombian did. This was an encouraging debut for the American, and he'll likely see more playing time if no one new comes in at the end of the transfer window.

Gacm32, Dervos, John McGuirk and 4 others repped this.
  2. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    On talent, he'll be a USMNT starter soon, but in reality, getting the necessary stamina might keep him only on the bench.

3. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Ready to start by the Hex

4. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the kid is ready for the U23 Colombia game, if only his club team will release him, I highly doubt it.

Gacm32 and Editor In Chimp repped this.
  5. bumbleBeeVB

bumbleBeeVB Member+

Aug 6, 2014
    NYC
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    video of his touches for those who missed the match.
    btw it was not a cup tie, it was a bundesliga match and we were struggling to break down their defense (which is one of the strongest in the BL) at 0-0, pulisic was a lot more positive than some of our other players today.

Footsatt, Gacm32, Bookmesir and 10 others repped this.
  6. Donny10

Donny10 Member

Aug 28, 2015
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    With what he's showing I imagine that it'd be a good add, although I don't think he'll be there as you said. That being said, how do you think he'd fit in with that group of players?

7. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

bsky22 repped this.
  8. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like the way the kid played with the U17, he was a spark plug, very crafty and smart. For the U23, he may be a little surplus if Rubin is back to his usual self because I envision RR to be 10 rather than a true CF.
    If everyone is available I would like to see a 4-4-2.
    Morris--Rubin
    Ariyibi--Pulisic--Kiesewetter
    CCV/Trapp
    Pelosi--Brooks--Miazga--Payne
    In this lineup Rubin will be playing as an SS. You have blazing speed on the flanks. I like CCV as the #6, Trapp and the rest don't give me much confidence when defending.

9. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looking at his highlights, I see that he plays his usual self. A lot of times a kid or new player will play timid because of the level of play, not Pulisic, he plays the only way he knows how to, which is crafty with confidence.

10. chris thebassplayer

Feb 18, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    LD's doppelganger...can't wait to see how it plays out...JK's time frame to bring him into the nats... I'm over the moon to see another quality flank or ACM option join the mix.

Short term, I'd love to see him with the U23s for the Colombia games.

soccerusa517 repped this.
  11. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Isn't the Colombia series in a FIFA window? They don't have to release him for a youth competition, but they probably would............................................

Its also worth noting that Pulisic has never even played with the U20s. If the U23 game in March was a friendly, he'd be a lock. However, its a do-or-die game against a quality opponent with zero training camp (or games/friendlies until then). I suspect that Herzog will go with the guys that he's been working with for two years. They perhaps don't have the same ceilings as Pulisic, but are perhaps better options for those games. Pulisic's position may not actually be one of need for that team. There are guys like Morris, Rubin (if he's back from injury), Arriola, Green, and company available.

Its possible that Pulisic has never played a single game with or against any member of the current U23 team. [It looks like Junior Flores isn't going to make it. Maybe Green, but Pulisic actually hasn't played a lot of games for Dortmund II.] We're not assembling a youth all-star team for the Colombia series. We're selecting a team that gives us the best chance to win those two games only.

augiechen7 and LouisZ repped this.
  12. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's our next Donovan level player, probably/hopefully even better someday.

Way too good for U-20's. U-23's if they let him go, which I doubt it. He'll probably get a US senior cap this year.

raza_rebel repped this.
  13. nycfc919

nycfc919 Member+

Aug 17, 2015
    Pulisic being there would give us a better chance of winning IMHO. He's already a better player than almost every single member of this squad.

deejay repped this.
  14. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eh. If Messi and Sergio Agüero (and Landon himself, of course) can play at the u20 age level then so can Pulisic. We need high level players to hit the field. Hopefully we qualify for the youth championship and its at a time that he CAN play.

bsky22 repped this.
  15. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    He showed excellent pace and elite quickness in those highlights. The dribble and first touch were there. I like that he was frequently involved in the play.

chris thebassplayer and Gacm32 repped this.
  16. Dignan

Dignan Member+

Nov 29, 1999
    Granada
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He looked very good for a 17 year old, making his Bundesliga debut in a game situation that was far from decided, with one of the better teams in the world. In one game, he blows by a ton of other hypothetical talent that JK has been willing to call in i.e. Julian Green and then some.

I suspect that we will see Pulisic in USMNT jersey. The big question is will he be ready to lead the team? Probably not, ala 98 Reyna and 06 Donovan. He has some way to go, but definitely looking like someone to pencil in for the future.

chris thebassplayer repped this.
  17. Gacm32

Gacm32 Member+

Chelsea
    Switzerland
    Nov 28, 2010
    Geneva
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    If he keeps developing, he'll be much better than LD. I love Landon, and I know I'll get flamed for this post, but if we want to become a top footballing nation, LD should not be our benchmark for our young players.

augiechen7, Namdynamo, DHC1 and 2 others repped this.
  18. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Man, the hype train is really rolling out of control already.

One substitute appearance for Dortmund, and we're already annointing him as "better than Landon Donovan."
    Gedion Zelalem has played multiple times for Arsenal, and we didn't achieve this level of hyperventilation.

Let's all just take a deep breath and see more.

augiechen7 and Mr Martin repped this.
  19. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Zelalem has made no league appearances with Arsenal. Posters referred to Pusilic's being better than Donovan in the hypothetical future sense.

Folks claiming 'hype-train' need to calm down.

20. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    So you would say that being named best young player at world cup is not a legitimate benchmark.

I think I just used benchmark for the first time other than paraphrasing Klinsmann. I believe soccer players are individuals who reach their pinnacle in helping their team while maximizing their individuality. There are no benchmarks, no trail of crumbs, no academy of malformation. What benchmark did Pirlo ever aim for.....?

Personally, I think Pulisic and Morris are bringing a more modern game to the USMNT. I don't know if we have a modern coach. He keeps shoving the same stuff down our throats and we are being passed by Jamaica, Trinidad and Haiti.

21. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wish they had time for a mini camp and then he'd be a shoe in for the U23 do or die series. I do agree it may be hard to bring him in totally cold. Dortmund players all play that quick attacking style but US U23's don't and it may put him on an island with no one to pass too. Let's see how he looks in a few more games and who else is available. He may be at least a big impact guy off the bench.

Excellency repped this.
  22. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I like your lineup except CCV who will get caught flat footed. His range of mobility at U20 level has to be taken with a grain of salt at u23 level.

23. Gacm32

Gacm32 Member+

Chelsea
    Switzerland
    Nov 28, 2010
    Geneva
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    I didn't say he's better than LD, he's certainly not... For the moment. I just said if he keeps developing on the same track, he'll be the better player.

24. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's still young and may not have the top speed Landon had but he does seem to be much better at dribbling by opponents. Seeing as there's a big hole in the full US team I would be quite happy with a Landon level replacement. If he ends up better then the team will take a big step up. I'm really hoping he's someone who can stay healthy too. We've had some other young players with big potential get big injuries in the last few years.