Christian Pulisic Thread

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by ussoccer97531, Oct 21, 2015.

1. ifsteve

ifsteve Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Jul 7, 2013
    MS and ID
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1199768276223574018 is not a valid tweet id

Surprised nobody posted this yet. Pulisic with a very important UCL goal. With the draw Chelsea is likely to advance to the Round of 16.

2. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Kid is on fire!!! He not only looks like he belongs but has been a really bright spot in a team sitting in fourth place in the EPL. In their last 8 games (3 CL, 1 EFLC and 4 EPL), CP has 6G, 3A, and 1 drawn PK. He has started the last 7 of them and gone 90 in 4 of them.

The role he is playing is better suited to his whole skill set. I wonder if his "excessive " dribbling he exhibited at Dortmund was what his coach was asking him to do as he has shown very little of it at Chelsea. He of course is picking his moments to take people on, but he is combining well, circulating the ball, and picking out attackers. He has never looked less like a "system player" who only "dribbles into dead ends".

FanOfFutbol and RalleeMonkey repped this.
  3. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His ability to pull the strings, attract defenders and setup teammates has really gone up a level this season. Appears the game has slowed down mentally for him.

4. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    That was a nice dribble but it looked like -- at least from the camera angle -- the early through ball to the striker was the better option.

tomásbernal repped this.
  5. orcrist

orcrist Member+

Jun 11, 2005
    Bay Area, California, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We're all over in the YA thread drinking it in :)

russ repped this.
  6. orcrist

orcrist Member+

Jun 11, 2005
    Bay Area, California, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A lot of people have been making that comment, but others (and I agree) think that Tammy was offside for a lot of that sequence. Perhaps there was a brief onside window, but considering the speed, and the fact that CP was recovering his balance from the one attempted tackle, I'll give him a huge benefit of the doubt.
    And that's added to the fact that the chance he did end up creating has to be considered a very high-percentage chance.

Patrick167, tomásbernal and Burr repped this.
  7. laxcoach

laxcoach Member+

United States
    Jul 29, 2017
    intermountain west
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Still he threads it to an open man with a great look who shoots straight at the goalie's belt buckle.

orcrist repped this.
  8. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    He is getting the ball just off the middle and he no longer plays like a chalk on his boots winger. That is really the only difference. His coach is setting him up to be successful by allowing him to do what he does best. Dribble at the heart of the defense with runners to the left and runners to the right. Pulisic in the half space running at you is scary for any defense, with a supporting cast like CFC has, it can be lethal.

CP did all the work to get here, and he has worked his whole life for this chance. Fate smiled upon him by giving him the first coach since TT that knows how to use him. This Lampard fella might turn out to be the kind of coach that he was a midfielder.

orcrist and Burr repped this.
  9. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My only quibble with this is that Klopp also knew how to use him he just left before he was able to show it more. The rest is spot on. Place him on the right sideline and he will try and get to the endline and cross. Place him on the left and he will cut in centrally at times to shoot with his right or a short pass to an open teammate.

y-lee-coyote repped this.
  10. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    But where will he be loaned to in January??

russ, bsky22, Burr and 4 others repped this.
  11. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    He is no longer likely to be loaned to anybody. He is one of the most productive players on the team and no player that is playing at all like he currently is will get loaned out.

Although I am quite sure that almost any team would be more than happy to have him.

12. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite

russ, tomásbernal, TOAzer and 8 others repped this.
  13. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    Given that his ceiling is Fabian, I can’t believe Fabian didn’t compete to win a UCL!

btlove repped this.
  14. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    With 5G/2A Pulisic is likely to surpass Johnson's best season (6G/4A, BuLi 15/16) this season.

15. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Every really good joke needs a really straight face.

16. Akhan786

Akhan786 Member

Mar 1, 2013
    Pulisic deserves to be our first true La Liga Star

Would love it if rugged 28 year old 180 pound Pulisic could dominate at a place like Atletico Madrid

17. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nobody deserves anything. I’d hope he starts by dominating the EPL. If he makes his way to La Liga it will be with Barca or Real.

tomásbernal repped this.
  18. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    La Liga is more intellectual than the EPL, and I'm not sure Puli would be a good fit.

19. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Excellent point. Our American philosophers, such as Peirce or Putnam or Puli, lack the tactical Nous required for La Liga. Even when Santayana chose to play for the USA, and turned his back on Spain, he did not have the necessary gravitas for Camp Nou.
    It's telling that in the famous match between Alemania FC and Sporting El Greco, as chronicled in the documentary by Monty Python, not one American, homegrown or dual national, even made the bench.

20. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Since this page has a good dose of sarcasm, I assume you are adding in?

21. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Not at all. The EPL is frenetic, with little pause. A league that requires you to take the pause also demands that you have the technique and know-how to cover a ball.

22. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know why people want him in La Liga playing against crappy defenses most of the time.

bostonsoccermdl repped this.
  23. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    He is still very young so the jury is out but from everything I have seen, he is no less qualified than anyone else to make that jump.

I am not suggesting he does, as I don’t think it is a better league. Much less parity outside the top few teams.
    Plus much less tv coverage here, and it simply isn’t as fun to watch for the reasons you mentioned. ( my selfish reasons for him to stay in the EPL:thumbsup: )

24. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Results in the Europa would argue against that (last season excepted). I'd say La Liga has much more parity than the EPL, where the bottom six teams or so are truly garbage that rely only on the physical side of the game.

For me, watching La Liga would be much easier, since I'm already subscribed (I follow La Liga, Ligue 1 and Serie A, always have, always will; but now I also follow the EPL/BuLi because of the Yanks there).

I wouldn't want Pulisic there because I think he's a much better fit in the EPL. Although I detest Chelsea and its owner.

25. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why? As far as Russian oligarchs go he’s definitely one of the better ones.