Christian Pulisic Thread

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by ussoccer97531, Oct 21, 2015.

1. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    When people want to persuade, they spin. "Heckling tourists" leaves out a piece of context that the article emphasizes over and over. But since it doesn't help you minimize this behavior, you left it out.

But yes, what someone does at 20 while drunk isn't proof of how they feel now. We don't know how he feels now. We do know that he is a very inexperienced coach at a very big club, and that the reasons he offers as CP's shortcoming (work rate) don't ring true.

2. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    I'm an American who lives in New York. So you can shove it with your cute implications about spinning and this particular story. Especially given that I didn't even want Lampard hired.

All we know is that he's not playing Pulisic, and while I don't agree with that (as well as certain other of his selections/tactical decisions) Occam's razor suggests those reasons have nothing to do with him once getting drunk at an airport.

3. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    I think pretending I was saying something about you that I didn’t say was your best bet. Far better than defending your spin, for which you apparently had no answer.

4. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Lol, sure buddy. You want to start a “does Frank Lampard hate Americans” thread somewhere, go for it. Not what I’m here for.

5. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    Where has he said work rate is the issue? I've only heard the generic he needs to impress in training. People here are assuming his defensive work rate is an issue, but I haven't heard lampard say it.

twoolley repped this.
  6. Crawleybus

Crawleybus Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    You seriously think Lampard gives a flying feck about his nationality!? Frank Lampard has a LOT on his mind right now and where his players come from is most certainly NOT one of them!
    Lampard wants to win football matches - THAT'S IT. He will do everything he can to support and help his team to achieve that goal, he isn't going to play somebody just to please posters on here, he most certainly isn't going to omit somebody just to piss off posters on Big Soccer either!! He doesn't play William just to please 200 million football mad Brazillians and he wont care about upsetting Brazilians by dropping him - that is just completely absurd!

MarioKempes repped this.
  7. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mason Mount isn't that good. Sorry.

gogorath repped this.
  8. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    He got playing time in the first few games, lost the ball a ton and produced very little. Hard to blame Lampard for that. Notice after producing in pre-season he was in the starting 11 at first. Pulisic is a good player and he will work hard and get more chances. I don't think anyone has seen enough of Lampard the coach at this level to know if he's good enough to stick around at Chelsea long term or not, but he certainly has had justifiable reasons to use other players, although I do think leaving him off the bench is a bit much.

Deep Wilcox and russ repped this.
  9. tbonepat11

tbonepat11 Member+

Jun 21, 2001
    In general I agree he probably doesn't care where people come from but there is definitely a bias towards Mount. Whether it be England or his former club and a comfort level, I dunno. Putting him on the wing was the dead giveaway. He isn't that impressive a winger at all.

10. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think this particular argument has been exaggerated. He clearly disappeared at times... sometimes I think it had to do with his teammates... but nevertheless, he has done the same for club and country before. The argument that he doesn't defend well has merit. Add in the fact that he isn't the best striker of the ball and there is enough criticism to put on his shoulders. But every attacking player making attempts to advance the ball will turn it over... I see the best players do it all the time... but CP is under a giant microscope and every time he loses the ball he is uber scrutinized for it.

Overall, I would like to see a truly motivated player the next time he gets an opportunity. He needs to hustle around the pitch and make sure he puts a stamp on the game. Pedro is been underwhelming while Willian has started to impress. He needs to set his sights on the former and take his slot... then try and move on to Willian.

11. No, there isnot. I like Mount very much, so he better play him, if necesary as a goalie, but play him.
    Lampard reads my post.:cool:

12. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mason Mount isn't better than Pulisic, but Lampard trusts him. That means a lot. Not much Pulisic can do except go out and show Lampard in practice what he's capable of.

13. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pulisic with an assist in a 10 minute cameo

Deep Wilcox and Burr repped this.
  14. He has to show it anytime, like Mount does:
    [​IMG]
    Mason Mount (m) celebrates his goal with Callum Hudson-Odoi (l) and Tammy Abraham (r). © Action Images via Reuters

15. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course. But if you aren't playing games, then all you have is the training ground.

16. Deep Wilcox

Deep Wilcox BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 5, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am a fan of CP's, and hope he does well at Chelsea. He did get chances (albeit mostly out of position) early in the season, and was rather luke warm. That's going to be an issue for a young American in the EPL.

He's back on the bench. He broke into the Dortmund line up so he is obvious quality. I think he'll be fine.

RalleeMonkey and TimB4Last repped this.
  17. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good assist for CP. Remember that Lampard doesn't know everything. He's just another coach.

18. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Yeah, he's not a poster on BS.

beerslinger23 and GiallorossiYank repped this.
  19. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am starting to think that CP getting benched for a while might be the best thing for him overall moving forward. While he was not nearly as bad as some make him out to be in his early starts... he didn't set the world on fire and didn't make an impact defensively. Perhaps having to earn the job in the midst of stiff competition will be the hurdle he needs to up his game? He certainly made his presence known in 10 minutes last weekend.... If he can make an impact like that consistently and can garner a few steals/breakups when tracking back then he should see his minutes increase. If he does that in limited action and he still doesn't see an increase in playing time then he needs to hope for a loan. 6 months to adjust and find regular minutes is perfectly fine for a big club like Chelsea... but he needs to be on the pitch on the regular by early next year or it may end up stunting his growth instead.

20. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, Lampard thinks he knows everything. So I guess he is a poster on BS?

21. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Does he?

22. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    If getting benched is the best thing for players, we should have won the World Cup by now.

Eleven Bravo and FC Tallavana repped this.
  23. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just had a legit assist to put Chelsea up 1-0 over Ajax on the road. Time to fire up the hype train again. ;)

1187076668504100865 is not a valid tweet id

24. harttbeat

harttbeat Member

Dec 29, 1998
    New York
    Just imagine if we have a player like Michy on our team?

25. goussoccer

goussoccer Member+

May 23, 2001
    Avon, CT
    Good to see Christian get on the field and make the most of it. I didn't see the game until the 73rd minute, so I missed his first 6 minutes of action, but he was dynamic and dangerous. Getting the assist was the big news, but he made several other good runs and passes that created opportunities. Not sure that will make him a starter, but it should give him (and his coach) some confidence.