Christian Pulisic Thread

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by ussoccer97531, Oct 21, 2015.

1. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On in the 58th minute. Gives him plenty of time to do something.

2. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Three goals against since he came on. Obviously Barkley was holding things together and Pulisic never should've seen the pitch.:eek:

3. VBCity72

VBCity72 Member+

Aug 17, 2014
    Sunny San Diego
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right because that's the reason all three goals have gone down the opposite side of the field from him.

Burr repped this.
  4. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was sarcasm but you should see the peanut gallery on Twitter

VBCity72 repped this.
  5. VBCity72

VBCity72 Member+

Aug 17, 2014
    Sunny San Diego
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gotcha no worries. I'm sure, Twitter is a cesspool.

Burr repped this.
  6. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I bet it’s interesting and that’s exactly why I stay clear of Twitter

7. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    He began playing better at the end, though he missed a cross to a relatively open Giroud (?).

The only thing I'd wish with CP is that he put in a little more work on defense for his club team, especially when he's only for only 30 minutes. He used to, and he does with the US, but his defensive workrate with BVB and now Chelsea has not been good after his first couple of years.

Guinho repped this.
  8. ChambersWI

ChambersWI Member+

Nov 10, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Pulisic had some good and bad today. Bigger issue was how bad the back 4 was for Chelsea. Team lacked creativity though. A lot of running from pieces but no vision with passes. Would not be shocked with Marcos Alonso and Pulisic going into starting line up next week but Chelsea is hoping that Willian, Rudiger, Loftus Creek. And Hudson Odoi get healthy

9. GoBigBlue88

GoBigBlue88 Member+

Feb 11, 2009
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Biggest issue for Chelsea -- beyond Zouma -- was that Abraham would get blown over by a light breeze.

The floodgates opened when all Abraham had to do was body off Maguire for like 2 seconds and leave the ball off for Pulisic for a high % shot on goal. Abraham flailed, and the ball was 60 yards down the pitch a few seconds later.

dougtee and Burr repped this.
  10. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    abraham had two bites of the apple on that play too! it was truly zardesesque

11. skim172

skim172 Member+

Feb 20, 2013
    Theory: This season will be Chelsea's version of "tanking". They looked at their roster, looked at their empty manager spot, looked at Hazard leaving for Madrid, and decided that they'd accept the transfer ban and eat the lost season. If they'd pushed for it, they probably could've gotten a postponement of the ban while CAS reviewed their appeal. But they decided that one transfer window would not be enough to turn them into contenders, so screw it, we'll give up on this season.

Hence, Frank Lampard. He is the perfect guy for their position. He's young and inexperienced - which means he'll be content to defer decisions to the ownership. A veteran manager might complain, push for more organizational control, or make buzz in the press (all things recent Chelsea managers have done). Lampard will accept their decisions throughout this crappy season quietly. And, as a club legend and fan favorite, it's a signing that'll make fans happy - and they'll be more forgiving of Lamps in the losses.

If Lampard does well despite limited resources, then they'll be lauded for giving a club legend a chance. If he sucks, then they'll be okay with them letting him go next season when they start competing for real. It's win-win situation.

What this means for Puli is that this season is gonna be a lost year, barring a miraculous development. Unfortunately, his situation may be a "can't-win". If he impresses Lampard and gets regular starts, then fine - but it won't help if/when Lampard leaves and he has to start over with the new manager. If he plays well this season, fine - but that's not gonna stop ownership from bringing in big-money transfers next season as an overhaul to become contenders again. If the team struggles, Puli has a strong chance of becoming the scapegoat - the highest-paid new signing, an American, isn't Eden Hazard - because the fans won't be blaming Lampard. And if he struggles, he'll be ridiculed as another high-profile mistake by the owners, and will be on weakened footing with the new manager next season.

For Puli, it's a "lose-or-push" situation. Not great for him. His best hope is to have a hot start and become a fan favorite - which will be a tough task, with the Chelsea fanbase particularly.

TOAzer, VBCity72 and Burr repped this.
  12. VBCity72

VBCity72 Member+

Aug 17, 2014
    Sunny San Diego
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unfortunately this post is probably 100% correct.

TOAzer repped this.
  13. Crawleybus

Crawleybus Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    As an English based Chelsea fan (for a very long time) I can hand on heart say that a LOT of what I'm reading on here is plain 'wrong!

Excellency, TheHoustonHoyaFan and bsky22 repped this.
  14. orcrist

orcrist Member+

Jun 11, 2005
    Bay Area, California, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "''wrong'"? As in ironically wrong?
    Or you just like single quotes? ("inverted commas" to you)

15. Crawleybus

Crawleybus Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    The 'sweeping statement' on Chelsea fans for a start! But also Pulisic himself, potentially a great player but not the player everybody on here is portraying him to be (not yet), Pulisic is at a club with a lot of 'other' great players but just like the rest of them he is young and Chelsea supporters will not throw him under the bus if he has a few bad games (which like ALL young players he will). Chelsea DO have some exciting young players (which includes Pulisic) that IN TIME are going to make some team - but you have to give them a bit of time.

16. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    Let's not start another Bradley/ Swansea discussion.

bungadiri, Burr and EruditeHobo repped this.
  17. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. Let's keep the thread on topic, please.

18. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But let's start another Crawley down the "EPL Teams Are Too Good For Yanks" road. That one is a never ending Joy.

19. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    I've never seen him suggest anything of the sort. Quit being so insecure.

20. Crawleybus

Crawleybus Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    #4095 Crawleybus, Aug 14, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
    What!? And where have I said that exactly? What difference does a players nationality make? Players are either good enough or they're not, nationality is COMPLETELY irrelevant! Pulisic, like CHO, like Mount, like Abrahams, like Christiansen is an exciting, promising youngster but just like the rest of them he is still young, still learning and is still a LONG way from his best, for all of these players the future can go 'either way' but I tell you under Lampard they have EVERY chance of fulfilling their potential, all I am saying is that Pulisic LIKE THE OTHER YOUNG PLAYERS needs a bit of time! Anybody that thinks he (or CHO, or any of them) is suddenly going to turn into 'Eden Hazard' this season are going to be disappointed! What they WILL see is a young team full of promise that will (in my opinion) get better and better. At Chelsea ALL these players are up against intense competition so just because he started as a substitute there is no point getting 'knickers into twists' and start claiming Chelsea fans are 'this' or Chelsea fans are 'that', the boy will get the same opportunities as the rest of them! Here is a thought for you all - Gianfranco Zola (in my opinion better than Hazard) started his Chelsea career with substitute appearances.

Pegasus repped this.
  21. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    'Yellow card' for 'excessive' use of 'air quotes'!

deejay, superdave and orcrist repped this.
  22. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    [​IMG]

I don't think a yellow card will 'get the job done.'

orcrist and Paul Berry repped this.
  23. Crawleybus

Crawleybus Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    English - never been my strongpoint, maths a little better, football though - I'm a bloody expert! Or should that be 'expert'.

TimB4Last repped this.
  24. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pulisic starts against Liverpool in the UEFA Super Cup and gets an assist to Giroud for Chelsea, 1-0.

TimB4Last repped this.
  25. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now he has a goal disallowed. Bummer, it was a nice one!