Christian Pulisic Thread

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by ussoccer97531, Oct 21, 2015.

1. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    From ownership, not from the media.

2. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    Oh, great here's the guy that doesn't know how to read, again.

Here's what I said "I never said Bradley didn't deserve the sack. "

Learn.to.read.

3. Crawleybus

Crawleybus Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I'm not sure what point you are making but if I had to guess I would imagine that over the years there have been FAR more Swiss coaches/players involved in English football than American ones, and this is simply because football has been a more important sport in Switzerland than its ever been in the US. I am not sure what difference that makes though? I ask again, why do 'some' of you Americans seem to think the English would have a 'problem' with American players or coaches???? Do you really believe that you are somehow 'more important' to the English than players or coaches from elsewhere on this planet? If so why do you believe this?

4. Crawleybus

Crawleybus Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Then what ARE you saying exactly?

5. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How about that Christian Pulisic guy?!?!

Burr and appwrangler repped this.
  6. Crawleybus

Crawleybus Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Lets hope that in a year or two we have Pulisic, RLC, Barkeley and of course HO all fulfilling their potential.

7. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #3882 truefan420, Mar 7, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
    I’m not a fan of Barkley nor do I think he’ll ever reach his potential. RLC could be legit but he just can’t stay healthy. At least his tactical flexibility will always provide a bonus to the squad. I’ve got a lot of excitement about Cho on the left and Pulisic on the right for the future. I think their skillsets balance each other very well. Just need to get that ST for them to play off of.

8. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Heck Bob got his own recurring skit on the Internet. That's an accomplishment, up there with Bobby creating the 6 rating on Kicker or Jozy being named the "worst striker in Premier League history ever!" by Daily Mail.

No animosity, if anything they make us feel special.

9. Crawleybus

Crawleybus Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Barkeley has promise but RLC is an absolute 'Rolls Royce'..........if he can stay fit, for a fairly big fella he has a lot of skill, he has all the right ingredients to be something very special.

10. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    That the fans and the media were on him before he started. And, that was largely to do with him being American.

How do I have to re-explain this to you every time it comes up?

Marko72 repped this.
  11. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, lots of stereotypes, money, and fanfare regarding the Swiss, eh?

First of all, you're likely wrong in assuming there are more Swiss involved in English soccer. There have been more American players in the EPL than there have been Swiss, and that disparity will only continue to grow as Americans come overseas, and as the pool of professional American players continues to grow.

That's beside the recent trend of American ownership groups within English soccer, from John Green and Wimbledon AFC, to Stan Kreonke and Arsenal, and the proliferation of MLS games and American soccer media overseas.

Second, it's fairly obvious that people care whether or not an American is playing/coaching. Rightly or wrongly, it's so blindingly obvious. It was a story when Swansea hired Bob Bradley. It wasn't when they hired Paul Clement or Carlos Carvalhal.

And here you are, pretending like the Swiss move the needle on the English soccer consciousness. Yikes.

Marko72 repped this.
  12. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    #3887 y-lee-coyote, Mar 8, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2019
    SO BB is going to coach Pulisic at Chelski or the USMNT? Otherwise what the hell is all the BB bullspit about?

orcrist, Pegasus, Burr and 1 other person repped this.
  13. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's some actual on topicness:

Also inadvertently assisted this one:

bsky22 repped this.
  14. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Pulisic was definitely positioned on the right side, but he shifted centrally when Dortmund put the pressure on and when they attacked down the left.

15. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    CP most dangerous in the center of the field coming off the bench. A goal and an assist isnt bad for a second half sub.

ifsteve repped this.
  16. laxcoach

laxcoach Member+

United States
    Jul 29, 2017
    intermountain west
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's got more options with and without the ball in the middle and it shows. I like him there better too.

justinpaul10 and bsky22 repped this.
  17. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    He can do well in the middle when he's given enough space. There's a reason why Stuttgart is in the relegation zone.

18. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Such a silly take. Good thing he had so much space on his assist today.

ifsteve repped this.
  19. Crawleybus

Crawleybus Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I'm sorry this is just bollox - you should try getting over yourself, I will say it once again - English people DO NOT care about American players or coaches any more than anybody else, in fact to put it bluntly they probably care less than they do when it comes to nationalities that the English actually have a sporting rivalry with, Scotland, Wales, Australia, Germany, France, Argentina, West Indies etc - there never has been any sort of sports rivalry between the English and the US - none - traditionally they don't even play the same sports - so I ask you WHY WOULD THE ENGLISH HAVE A PROBLEM WITH AMERICAN FOOTBALL COACHES?

20. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know that caps-lock doesn't actually mean "yelling", right? It just makes me want to not read what you're posting

Have a nice day. Hopefully, you didn't have an aneurysm typing that.

21. btlove

btlove Member

United States
    Sep 29, 2017
    Austin Texas
    Why act all sanctimonious? All he is saying is that the English don’t have a negative bias towards American coaches. Your argument seems to be that Americans draw more fanfare/media attention. Seems like two points that can coexist truthfully.

22. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why even respond? I'm not going to engage with an apoplectic poster, and I'm not swayed in the least.

It's just a cultural reality that Americans in soccer draw eyeballs, and not purely because of play. People are welcome to pretend otherwise, but I'm unconvinced when the foil presented is, for example, the Swiss...

23. El_Fool

El_Fool Member

Jul 19, 2011
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    You know this is the internet, right? There are folks who've lived and played overseas here. You lost your colonies and your world status to us in the post-war. I'm not interested in politics but it's what it is. There's absolutely a worldwide sentiment that USA dominates everything and football belongs to everyone else. You may not feel it, but it is a fact. Imagine if Emile Heskey was from the USA?! The English fanbase could've denied two ostriches with one sandlot! No US player has done what Pulisic has, and it is stupid/delusional/naïve to not factor that mental strain into things. Even moreso with Zizou targetting Hazard.

24. El_Fool

El_Fool Member

Jul 19, 2011
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nothing I said was USMNT related. Sorry, @bungadiri or other mods. I do believe CP is paving a new level for our best young talent. Very interested in how he transitions to the PL and believe it will be a testament to his mental build. Weston and Tyler both seem to like him. He's a "person to build around" prospect as much as a player prospect in my opinion.

25. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the tag.

Folks, let's ease out of the discussion of Bob Bradley and Swansea, please. It's begun to take on a life of it's own and now has little or nothing to do with CP.

And I do not mean to imply that broader discussions of CP's reception at Chelsea are out of bounds. It's just that this one side topic has begun to turn into a threadjack.