Christian Pulisic Thread

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by ussoccer97531, Oct 21, 2015.

1. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    That is just Suy... From what I have observed he only likes one american player and he is retired. He massively over rates LD and continuously posts how LD is a genius. It always seemed odd to me, as he has said so many stupid things over the years and massively underachieved his potential.

CP has always seemed like a generally bright kid and actually reads the game well. I've always guessed that he has been encouraged to dribble as it is such a dangerous weapon and to not coach it out of him. He will likely evolve as a player over the next few years and we will get a better understanding what his full game really is.

Soccer brain didnt look that bad against CONCACAF teams when playing centrally. Nice runs, two nice assists to Dempsey, ran into a "dead end" and drew a free kick that led to a goal, and spread the ball around well all in one game...

2. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    All this (not picking you out) analysis of Pulisic's game is based on his play with certain teammates and a revolving door of management. Chelsea is a much different organization. Pulisic was always getting the "kid" treatment at Dortmund. He needs to leave home. Having 10 brothers and sisters is hard. That's the euphemistic version of his experience.

3. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    It's an odd comparison, but he reminds me of Kobe Bryant in his rookie year. A huge percent of the time he would touch the ball, Kobe would drive, but rather than driving to the basket, he ended up on the baseline a few feet away from the key. He'd pick up his dribble and be stuck there. A second defender would collapse on him and that was difficult place to pass out of. He did it all.the.time. Weirdly similar to what Puli does. (though, I know, there is no "picking up the dribble" in fooootbowl.)

Kobe grew out of that. Hopefully Puli does too. It won't be tolerated at Chelsea. He does that a couple of times in one game and people will come down on him. They'll be less forgiving than Lakers fans were.

Pegasus repped this.
  4. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    The Nike Angle:

MiB implies that there is a there may have been some Nike influence in Puli's move to Chelsea.

"Congratulations Christian Pulisic. In its 27th season, the Premier League finally has a blockbuster trade for an American player. The Dortmund midfielder’s $73M transfer to Chelsea is one of the 10 most expensive in Premier League history (a list that includes not only the likes of Paul Pogba and Kevin De Bruyne but also busts like Angel Di Maria and Alvaro Morata.) The move is massive for the Premier League and its surging growth in the United States. It is a big win for Dortmund who are cashing in on a starlet who has essentially become a squad player after the emergence of 18-year-old South London sensation Jadon Sancho. It is also a massive boost for Nike who align the American National Team captain with one of their marquee European clubs and the growing US audience.

How it will work out for Chelsea is harder to project. Commercially, Pulisic’s arrival is a coup for a club who are no longer able to rely purely on Oligarch largesse. They will sell a LOT of jerseys. His will automatically be the shirt of choice on the back of every child who first kicks a ball in the United States. However the Chelsea squad is aging (see Willian, Pedro) and in transition, and whether that centrifugal force Eden Hazard stays or goes to Real Madrid will impact not only Christian’s playing time but the weight of expectations that lands on his shoulders."

This part is comically wrong though: "They will sell a LOT of jerseys. His will automatically be the shirt of choice on the back of every child who first kicks a ball in the United States."

Are they kidding? They are not going to sell a LOT of jerseys and his kit will be farrrrrrrrrr from the shirt of choice of every child who kicks a first ball in the United States."

They do realize that maybe half of the soccer fans in the U.S. are fans of a NT other than the USMNT? Apparently not.

And, even USMNT-first fans are not slavishly loyal to whichever U.S. player happens to be at the top of the U.S. pile. Might-be-the-best-player-in-the-world types are going to outsell Puli, even among USMNT fans. Neymar, Ronaldo, Messi, whomever the next to emerge is.

Marko72 repped this.
  5. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    I don't see it that way. I think willfully dribbling away from teammates and into tight spots to show off his best assets, doing it repeatedly, and failing repeatedly, is a display of poor g, the intelligence factor that display cognitive abilities --that you can actually learn fast.

Mind, I'm not saying the guy is dumb, only that he's not a fast learner. Sancho got it after a game. Puli has kept doing it for two full seasons. It's going to be the difference between a good player and a true elite one, though.

6. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    Ya, that's interesting. Don't get me wrong - Puli is already one of the best players we've produced, and I expect he'll continue to improve.

But, he and Sancho have similar physical attributes, and similar ability on the dribble. I think Puli would do well to watch "All-of-Sancho's-touches" videos to get it ingrained in his brain what better options are in certain situations. So, that it becomes pre-conscious, second nature. Sounds crazy. But, in any sporting context, if you're a starter and a guy comes in and takes your job away, it would make a lot of sense to study what that guy does "what makes him/her better?"

There's no shame in that.

I imagine he'll learn from playing with Hazard, but Sancho's style of play seems to me to be a closer analog to Puli's.

7. #8or#6

#8or#6 Red Card

Arsenal
    United States
    Aug 15, 2017
    I don't know what this 'g' is, but it sounds like the way my Chinese wife pronounces Ch'i and uses as kind of an all purpose word to define non-specific characteristics of human life force. I'm much more humble in my understanding of human energy and simply believe Pulisic is maybe too persistent in his attempts to dribble out of problems. It's a high risk strategy with a relatively low reward, ie he only obtains some space and time. The lower risk strategy is, of course, a pass.

I think Christian will do this less and less as he gains experience. I remember watching Freddie Adu in his first year in MLS. He was always being knocked of the ball by the bigger, more experienced, and possibly resentful older players. When asked if he were going to spend the off season working with weights, he deferred. He said he needed to make his moves quicker. I think Pulisic is a better student than Freddie.

8. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here

As someone above noted, Puli will have a different set of teammates at Chelsea. It may be that he's not giving up the ball because he's not getting it back. It's my understanding that he's really focused on goals and assists. So, maybe he feels like the only way he's going to have deep possession is to dribble it there.

I'm certain that is true with the USMNT. We don't pass the ball to someone in or around the box but a couple of times per match. We're incapable.

But, at Dortmund, maybe he's not making good runs when Dortmund has deep possession, or maybe he does and they don't pass to him?

My mental image of Puli, off the ball, when Dortmund has deep possession, is him standing off the box, hoping someone will pass to him. Maybe part of it is that he doesn't make incisive runs when Dortmund is in attack.

If he is making the runs and not getting passes, maybe that will change at Chelsea.

9. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Maybe we should simply look at Pulisic's entire time at Dortmund as an extended tryout for Chelsea.

11. SamsArmySam

SamsArmySam Member+

Apr 13, 2001
    Minneapolis, MN
    Or maybe we should look at the Abramovich Chelsea years as an extended tryout for Pulisic.

12. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    Que sera, sera. Whatever will be, will be.

13. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Maybe there's nobody on the other end of the pass...…..(?) …...at Dortmund....

14. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Of course there isn't after you've dribbled yourself into a cage.

ChrisSSBB repped this.
  15. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Has no one yet had the audacity to point out the Vodka'd Elephant in the Abrahamovich Chelsea Room? Surely Russia, Comrades, is colluding with the USMNT.......;)

16. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Pulisic was tied, with Sancho, for second in xGchain. So he has been very involved in buildups leading to scores.

Zinkoff repped this.
  17. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Um...……….

18. Guinho

Guinho Member+

San Jose Earthquakes, bless their hearts
    Estonia
    May 27, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    If my guy is in a cage ….I'm there to help him out, ya know? I'll have more to say about Dortmund when Pulisic is in an aisle seat in row 5 on his way to Heathrow...or maybe it will not matter anymore so what's the point.

20. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

yikes

21. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Money laundering is tricky business.

TxEx and y-lee-coyote repped this.
  22. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    He does have a point. Chelsea have spent a TON of money compared to their rivals like Spurs. And their return on investment is pretty weak. How much have Chelsea spent trying to find a successor to Drogba? Amazing.

Chelsea fans are quite skeptical of the Pulisic signing. They're an ornery bunch right now.

[​IMG]

23. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    England fans are quite skeptical of any Yank footballer. Unless it's a keeper.

Heck, Englishmen are quite skeptical of the viability of their ex-colony as a functioning nation, if you ever visit any of the political forums.

250 years prove nothing. Get to 1,000 and we'll talk.

24. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    McBride, Harkes, Dempsey, Max-Moore, Wegerle, Reyna - all well loved by fans and respected by foes.

Pegasus repped this.
  25. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    They had to prove themselves first. And Dempsey was despised by the Spuds fans even when he was scoring and playing well.

When they get some new French or Spanish player, they don't have the negative 'tude. Now they have it with Brazilians, after N of them have failed to impress in the EPL, too.