Christian Pulisic Thread

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by ussoccer97531, Oct 21, 2015.

1. Crawleybus

Crawleybus Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    #3701 Crawleybus, Jan 4, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
    Oh come on of course its not true! Hey it doesn't always rain in London either! Good lord I didn't realise that people still believed this kind of bad stereotypical rubbish. I suppose Arsene Wengar was all 'kick and rush' too eh? Let me guess the English 'can't play football' because of their 'DNA' right? Think carefully about this, English football is made up of players and managers from across the globe INCLUDING SPAIN so your arguments about 'English football' doesn't really make sense does it - Stop making daft generalisations. Whether you like them or not there is no arguing about the fact that Chelsea Football Club is a world class soccer establishment that has competed at a high level for over a hundred years, they do have 'some' knowledge of the game (yes even though the club is situated in England!!), Pulisic has EVERY chance of developing in that particular environment.

#8or#6 repped this.
  2. BakedAlaskan

BakedAlaskan Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Ancho-RAGE,Alaska
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Poor kid.

Spends 4 or 5 years learning German, soon he's going to need a translator while he learns English. Not many Hershey, PA accents in London.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  3. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    Sorry, poor compared to where he was loaned from. San Jose was a perfectly parity enabled 2002 MLS team. But it wasn't near the quality Borussia Dortmund is my point. Probably closer to Furman than BVB haha.

4. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    Been to quite a few places in Europe, never had a harder time being understood than in London...

5. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Where are you from? I do disaster (Temp basis) work right now and talking to people in Georgia, Alabama and Louisiana is a tough ask. Annunciation is unknown to them.

6. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    From the same area as Berhalter, Bob Bradley, and Tab Ramos who all sound alike to me in how they talk.

Wasn't the accent so much as the every day slang. For instance, to take things completely off topic, they have no idea what, "egg over medium" means. It is just a "fried egg" and I have no idea if they even think to differentiate between a runny yolk and a hard yolk. They have different words for all kinds of everyday items and actions.

But Pulisic will be fine, just funny that it is easier to talk American English in Amsterdam or Florence, than London. The same drive that led him to learn German fluently is his best asset.

7. dwsmith1972

dwsmith1972 BigSoccer Supporter

May 11, 2007
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I live in NJ outside NYC and play twice a week with a large group of guys. Used to play CB next to a guy from the East End of London. He was a very good player but I couldn't understand a damn thing he was saying. I had to ask the left back, a guy from Chicago who spent a few decades working in London to interpret for me.

Patrick167 repped this.
  8. Crawleybus

Crawleybus Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    No such thing as 'American English' - just 'English' with different accents and the odd 'slang word' (which can vary from region to region in the UK, I'm sure it must be the same 'over there' too).

9. Crawleybus

Crawleybus Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Eh!??

10. #8or#6

#8or#6 Red Card

Arsenal
    United States
    Aug 15, 2017
    Throughout Asia, the American intonations dominate among English speakers. You'll be happy to know that even in Hong Kong the "English accent" is nearing extinction in the business world.

11. skim172

skim172 Member+

Feb 20, 2013
    Well, this is obviously not true. Accents may vary across regions and groups, but the continuum of accents in North America are similar enough to one another and distinct enough from other groupings that "American English" is almost universally recognized as "a thing".

Placid Casual repped this.
  12. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    D
    Dude, you're making stuff up again. Where has anyone posted that CP won't get a chance because he's American? I haven't seen *anyone* post that.

But, ya, dribbling into blind alleys is definitely his hurdle to get over. I've posted a few times, he needs to learn that it's no good trying to beat 2 defenders on the dribble when there's no space behind them.

Placid Casual repped this.
  13. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    Wow, that's pretty bigoty.

14. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    And, you do know that an Annunciation is an announcement, right? Perhaps the word you're looking for is enunciation?

15. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    So apparently I am not to have a problem with people I help who are hard to understand. This is the definition of bigot.

big·ot
    /ˈbiɡət/
    noun
    1. a person who is intolerant toward those holding different opinions.
    I just said they were hard to understand. A bit touchy on your part don't you think.

Actually know I didnt. I was on my phone and couldn't remember how the word was spelled so I trusted my autocorrect.

Patrick167 repped this.
  16. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    As for Puli at Chelsea he will be fine. Chelsea is not the type of club to make a big splash just for T-shirt sales. I have only known them to do something like when they signed Shevchenko and that was an Abramovich want.

Sarri not knowing about it, is no big deal. The HoF probably gave him a few names of RWs he would be ok with to replace Willian and Sarri was like Pulisic looks good, he will work well. Sarri then moved on and the HoF pulled the trigger.

Puli will be fine in the EPL, it is a little faster but the kid is not brittle, he has played Concacaf and Germany. Germany is not the Spanish or Italian league, they mix it up a bit. The big question is will Hazard stay. If Hazard goes then Puli will be sort a playmaker and life will get hard.

Pegasus and Patrick167 repped this.
  17. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    what part of Louisiana? Make fun of those Georgian/Kentuckyians. Don't mock my state :p

Deadtigers repped this.
  18. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Parish the thought!

19. Magikfute

Magikfute Member

Mar 9, 2001
    Lancaster, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That’s a nice post bayou.

TimB4Last, russ, SamsArmySam and 3 others repped this.
  20. Goldtone

Goldtone Member+

Aug 8, 2013
    California
    Club:
    Udinese Calcio
    CP will be ok, he will join Liverpool in 2-3 seasons :D

21. SamsArmySam

SamsArmySam Member+

Apr 13, 2001
    Minneapolis, MN
    CP will be OK. He just made... what percentage of the $73 million does he make up front? Before his new paycheck kicks in? And all this before his 21st birthday. While he lives the single life in London.

Kid's gonna be just fine. Liverpool, schmiverpool.

22. Goldtone

Goldtone Member+

Aug 8, 2013
    California
    Club:
    Udinese Calcio
    It was a joke. Haven’t been here in a while, just popped in to see what is being said and Big Soccer never disappoints. That being said aside from his financial triumph, I agree with the opinion that no club will pay that much and not give a player a fair shot. I will not cheer for Chelsea but I will probably watch every game he plays.

23. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    He's got the technique, the first-touch, the acceleration, and the dribbling. But that dribbling into blind alleys may be a sign of not having a top notch brain on his shoulders.

Let's hope not, because usually that's not fixable.

Marko72 and RalleeMonkey repped this.
  24. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've always thought Pulisic was the most rigid in the way he plays on the right. His left foot is good for crosses but not for longer shots so on the right he mostly tries for crosses. His best crosses are when he gets to the endline so he does get into blind alleys when he is trying to force his way to the endline. On the left he cuts in to the middle a lot more and his right foot is pretty lethal cutting in from the left. In the middle he has more freedom to go to either side or trail. He does play central attacking mid more like a central attacking winger. He's not nearly as much about ball control that about overloading a weak spot on the left or right. He'd probably be a great second forward but no one really uses one anymore.

Marko72 and LuckofLichaj repped this.
  25. #8or#6

#8or#6 Red Card

Arsenal
    United States
    Aug 15, 2017
    Excuse me? If you'd have said 'soccer brain' I might have let it slide, but then you added 'not fixable,' too.

He doesn't think they're blind alleys when he dribbles into them. He sees an opportunity there which turns out to be untrue as he's not used to the speed of the defenders. He'll learn and adapt, just like a programmer learns to adapt to trickier problems with more variables.

You've no evidence to support your assertion at this stage in his career.