Christian Pulisic Thread

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by ussoccer97531, Oct 21, 2015.

1. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Pulisic can help himself out some by not trying to dribble three players when we are up 3-0. Dude does clown some folks, and they might take genuine exception at that point.

We need to do something as a team. Collectively foul their guy just like they do ours. Force the ref to use some cards or lose control of the game.

I get he is going to get kicked some, occupational hazard, but the "after the ball has gone" stuff has to be stopped. If the ref won't do it, find somebody who is skilled in the "dark arts." We can't just let concacaf Kung-fu assault continue unabated.

2. Ruben Rivas

Ruben Rivas Member

Madrid
    United States
    Apr 1, 2017
    Miami
    When you have skills, people go hard on you, that’s life.

There is a documentary on ESPN Deportes, they interview one of the Salvadorian players that went to Spain, he said for qualifying they went really hard on Hugo Sanchez but the Mexicans went hard on Jorge Gonzalez too.

There are videos of Argentina vs El Salvador in the World Cup, Tarantini did a criminal tackle on Mágico Gonzalez too, the Argentinas beat the crap out of Jorge on that game.

Pele said he almost quit soccer, FIFA actually had to go tougher after everybody wanted to break Maradonas leg.

Not only teammates but the ref have to protect skilled players.

This sounds ugly but I was a diver when I was young, not only you can get penalties and red cards but you can protect yourself from dumb wreckless players.

3. Bajoro

Bajoro Member+

Sep 10, 2000
    The Inland Empire
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think it's important that the best player be the captain. Could be the most reliable, hardest worker, best on-the-field organizer, guy that throws the best parties... would of course would be be Puli since he makes more money than anyone else.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  4. Bajoro

Bajoro Member+

Sep 10, 2000
    The Inland Empire
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He probably knows a few choice words.

Marko72 and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  5. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    i have not noticed this at all

6. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    I don’t know why, but somebody needs to protect him... whether it is a coach and/or players.

7. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    #3257 ebbro, Oct 10, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
    It's not like he's doing multiple stepovers and rainbows. He's just quicker and keeps the ball on a string. I wouldn't call it clowning them, at least not in a showboating way that should anger opponents.

Bajoro and HartwickFan repped this.
  8. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    Pretty poor choice of word then. His teamates have described him as humble. Tuchel described him as modest. And everything we've seen of him supports those statements.

And what's with the hamming up of his goal celebrations? Recently people have been complaining he needs to work on them. A dab or a knee slide? Whoopee. Are you talking about his goal Friday? Was that hamming it up? He can ham that one up all he wants as far as I'm concerned - that goal took all the pressure off the team.

Some of you guys think too much and too dramatically.

9. beerslinger23

beerslinger23 Member+

Jun 26, 2010
    Maybe.

You could be right. *shrugs*

10. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    And Croatian "choice" words are colorful. Pička ti materina! ;)

Bajoro repped this.
  11. orcrist

orcrist Member+

Jun 11, 2005
    Bay Area, California, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gutted for the kid. First World Cup appearance stolen from him by a bunch incompetent amateurs. And by T&T.

TheFalseNine, Namdynamo, Zinkoff and 3 others repped this.
  12. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    At least I can still see him play with BVB every week.

He'll be back and stronger.

13. sXeWesley

sXeWesley Member+

Jun 18, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tear the arm band off Bradley and give it to Pulisic and make him the oldest player on the team from now on if anyone still wants to make the stupid age argument anymore.

Those old a holes cost the greatest American player we have ever produced a chance at his first World Cup, despite him dragging them to the finish line and never ever quitting. God Damnit!

TheFalseNine and orcrist repped this.
  14. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am gutted, too. But, in all honesty, I didn't think he played well in this game, either (aside from the goal, of course).

CP makes an all-star team of sorts.
    World Cup Absent XI: Sanchez, Bale, Pulisic among stars to miss out

15. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the only players i sincerely feel bad that this will tarnish their careers and memories are Howard, Dempsey, and Pulisic. The only one who its going to linger for is Pulisic. hes the most important one who needed to experience this. He will be our captain. he will not tolerate the new batch to do what we saw yesterday.

Burr and Anderson11 repped this.
  16. Guinho

Guinho Member+

San Jose Earthquakes, bless their hearts
    Estonia
    May 27, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's seems Pulisic wasn't even on the bench for the DFB polls match today. Any news on him? Did he get injured?

17. Goldtone

Goldtone Member+

Aug 8, 2013
    California
    Club:
    Udinese Calcio
    Strange, he started on Saturday.

18. Berchtesgaden

Berchtesgaden Member+

May 18, 2011
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    BVB website said he didn't participate in the final training after having muscular problems. Auba and Weigl also missed as a result

It doesn't sound serious.

Caveat I am not a native German speaker

Guinho repped this.
  19. VBCity72

VBCity72 Member+

Aug 17, 2014
    Sunny San Diego
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The cup matches aren't deemed as important as the league matches so until they get closer to the finals it is mostly backups with some regular starters in.

20. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Saw a tweet that said CP and Goetze were being rested.

21. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. SamsArmySam

SamsArmySam Member+

Apr 13, 2001
    Minneapolis, MN
    I love this. #3 in attempts to Messi and Neymar, even though he isn't pulling it off nearly as often (44%). I suspect that's Dortmund seeing the potential and encouraging him to develop to his maximum.

23. beerslinger23

beerslinger23 Member+

Jun 26, 2010
    That's what I am seeing. He is being instructed to go at the defense wherever he sees fit. The percentage doesn't reflect his most recent performances though. He's getting better at knowing where and when to dribble and actually executing them and when he dies dribble at defenders it's not at one. He is dribbling through and across entire lines of players. Also he is usually dribbling from deeper in the pitch than either Neymar or Pulisic who don't really play much in the defensive third and don't play much defense in general. I don't really even like the opta presentation without context. Those stats would have one thinking some MLS player is a better dribbler not accounting for level in general and individual quality. Tearing up Bayern is different than beating up on Colorado or this year's Galaxy or something.

24. beerslinger23

beerslinger23 Member+

Jun 26, 2010
    :eek:

25. orcrist

orcrist Member+

Jun 11, 2005
    Bay Area, California, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Holy post-bump, Batman!