Christian Pulisic Thread

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by ussoccer97531, Oct 21, 2015.

1. Andy_B

Andy_B Member+

Feb 2, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So in response to Pulisic being added to the 35 man roster for the U20 WC, Arena had this odd statement about it. I don't think I like this idea.

=====================================

✔@DougMacESPN

Arena said it's not likely that Pulisic will play in U-20 World Cup in May. Could send him if U.S. reaches the final. #usmnt.

12:27 PM - 13 Apr 2017

2. joe cleats

joe cleats Member

Jun 17, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Having lived in Germany and had blast barriers between my school and the road running near it, I suppose I could be biased. Although, an attack on a single American does not quite have the same effect as an attack on a team the American is on. Regardless, from the information I've read so far, it seems the terrorists were going for something larger as I haven't read anything about Pulisic being a specified target.

3. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Here it is- a bunch of Panamanians approached a person who they knew was reliably involved with ISIS to blow up the BVB team bus. Why Panamanians? These guys may or may not have some connection with the Panamanian Football Association, or whatever it's called. The ISIS guy was only too happy to create another terrorist incident for his group, and really didn't care what the Panamanians' motive was. The Panamanians figured if they were able to take out Pulisic their chances of upsetting the U.S. when they faced them in the States would be greatly increased, thus enhancing their chance of qualifying for Russia 2018.

4. joe cleats

joe cleats Member

Jun 17, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pulisic is the least of Panama's worries so long as San Zusi is healthy.

deejay and Alexisonfire repped this.
  5. jackiesdad

jackiesdad Member

Apr 13, 2008
    I agree with Arena. Pulisic has become an integral part of our effort to qualify for the real World Cup. If he gets injured in the U-20s, our hopes for making it to Russia are gone with him. I could really see other countries putting a bounty on Pulisic for that reason.

6. Andy_B

Andy_B Member+

Feb 2, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you may have mis understood me. I too do not want to see him in the U20's. When I said I did not like the idea, I was talking about sending in Pulisic for the final game only.

jackiesdad repped this.
  7. Tony in Quakeland

Jan 27, 2003
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Completely random post:

Saw about five minutes of Wednesday's CL league. Ball came out wide and Pulisic extended his leg, took the ball down easily, putting the ball exactly where he wanted it, seemingly already moving forward, went around the first defender and was nearly around the second defender when he was bought down. It was all so seemingly effortless...

And I thought, "Wow, we have never had this before."

8. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    My news feed had this ditty on Bartra.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/uef...is-life/ar-BBzQrId?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartanntp

I've been thinking how unlucky it was that Bartra was the one seriously affected physically. BVB have been tinkering with defense all season and seemed to have found the right formula in Piscek, Sokratis and Bartra as a back 3.

I don't see how one can prevent losers like the latest dumbass to plant a bomb. Some people are going to a loser's fate because that is what they are.

Burr and orcrist repped this.
  9. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Nice bit of highlights for one half. They played number of "longer" balls to him that he had no problem with handling. Just keeps getting funner to watch.

852537102885683201 is not a valid tweet id

10. salvikicks

salvikicks Member+

Mar 6, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He probably has the best first touch than any US player I've ever seen.

11. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    That's odd. I don't think his first touch is his strong point at all. In fact, I think his first touch was holding him back and it is why they could not play him in a more central position. Donovan had a much better first touch.

12. salvikicks

salvikicks Member+

Mar 6, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At his age i've never seen anyone bring the ball down like he was in the Monaco game. Receiving the long ball near the sideline, his first touch in the box does need work but he's only 18.

RalleeMonkey repped this.
  13. orcrist

orcrist Member+

Jun 11, 2005
    Bay Area, California, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No.

Edit: But I'm ready to let you convince me... with even one clip showing Donovan settling a ball like that instantly.

adi21, RalleeMonkey, Bajoro and 2 others repped this.
  14. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    "settling" a ball isn't necessarily best touch. Settling a ball instantly isnt even difficult. In the case you are talking about he did well. He wasn't getting the ball more earlier on with the senior team because he was spilling the ball. Addressing the ball is something you don't hear so much about and it's what I liked about Donovan's play. He didn't settle the ball, he put it in play.

Actually, Pulisic's off the ball movement is what makes him special for me. It's also why I'm not crazy about all the talk of him becoming the ball handler. Just think for a moment. How many goals does he have, as opposed to assists......

15. orcrist

orcrist Member+

Jun 11, 2005
    Bay Area, California, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's like you aren't even watching the same player the rest of us are. I can't even figure out who you are describing here.

16. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Well, how about

The young American helped spark a much improved 2nd half with his direct running and impressive link up play.

or

b.t.w., if Pulisic has such a brilliant "touch" then why isn't he replacing Dembele or Kagawa instead of playing wing/mid-fwd-back?

otoh, Pulisic is probably about as good if not better than Dempsey moving off the ball.

I'm actually not quibbling here. There is a point to be made. Remember Puli's goal off Piscek's assist in the CL game? The reason we don't see this more is that Dembele doesn't give him the ball in the right situations - to be short and crude about it. b.t.w., did anybody else notice how quickly Dembele started moving into the left side of Monaco after Pulisic came on and Dembele saw him dance by the Monaco left side?

You are right, tho, I don't watch the same things you do.

17. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I find this argument specious. He has played just about as may minutes as his body can stand. Dembele is a year older and that makes a difference in ability to handle the physical demands of a long grueling season of a top ten global club. Ditto Kagawa. Additionally Kagawa does play alongside Wiegl some and not always so far forward.

I believe his stint at wingback was to provide some more experience with defensive play.

I almost commented earlier when somebody said he drifted out of the game, that Ousmane moved into the space he was exploiting. He didn't "drift" out, he was crowded out and tried to move inside to find the ball.

I really do not see Ousmane and Christian competing for the same spot. They are different players and most teams can accomodate both of them at this stage of their careers.

USSoccerNova repped this.
  18. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I dont think anybody ever said they were. But we don't really know what Dembele is thinking. That's up to him.

19. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    You clearly implied that they were sompeting for minutes with the first part I quoted.

20. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy

So you say they played Pulisic at wb against Monaco in a UEFA CL quarterfinal to give him experience.

But to your latest post: "minutes" - no, I asked why Pulisic wasn't playing where Dembele and Kagawa play if his touch is so brilliant. I didn't say anything about minutes. The answer is that his touch isn't good enough. LIke somebody on these boards is very fond of saying, "skill is technical proficiency under pressure"

21. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    . . . and the rumors begin.

http://www.starsandstripesfc.com/us...rtmund-christian-pulisic-transfer-rumors-news

[​IMG]

The Daily Mail reports that Spurs have had their top scout, Steve Hitchen, keeping tabs on Pulisic. The talent evaluator was in the crowd for Dortmund’s 3-2 first leg home loss to AS Monaco in the Champions League quarterfinals on Wednesday. In that match, Pulisic came off the bench at halftime with Dortmund trailing 2-0 and changed the match with his dynamic flank play. Even the commentators calling the match on TV were raving over the immediate impact the youngster had on Dortmund’s play.

There have been a host of clubs linked with Pulisic over the past year. Among them have been Liverpool, Stoke City, RB Leipzig, and more. Notorious Dortmund raiders, Bayern Munich, have even been rumored to be a potential future landing spot.

Burr and USSoccerNova repped this.
  22. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I can't tell if you are serious or you are just trolling. When you said "why isn't he replacing those two players" that implies he is competing with them for minutes. In fact he has played ~280 minutes games more than Kagawa this season.

When I said "stint" at wingback I was referencing his early season play when he played that spot for a few games in a row. Against Monaco, they were playing so far on the front foot even if his spot was "wingback" he was playing more like a RAM.

His minutes this season do not reflect any deficiencies in his game. They reflect a young man who has all the tools needed to be successful, and only lacks in minutes played and experience due to his young age.

I understand the discussion came about because somebody committed sacrilege hen they said he was better than soccer jesus. I knew when I read that it would end up being like this, so I am out. have a nice day sir!

23. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    more Pulisic, from today . . . (video would not imbed) . .

http://www.starsandstripesfc.com/us...sics-dope-assist-on-marco-reus-back-heel-goal

Christian Pulisic has notched his 8th total assist of the season for Borussia Dortmund, setting up Marco Reus in the 2nd minute vs. Eintracht Frankfurt. A slick one-two with Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang found the American youngster who used his pace to race onto the pass and catch the goalkeeper in no man’s land. He kept his composure well and found Reus in front of goal for an audacious finish on his return from injury.

WrmBrnr, Bajoro, Zinkoff and 2 others repped this.
  24. Tony in Quakeland

Jan 27, 2003
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Please, just no. No. No f-ing way. Spurs? Shoot me. Just f-ing shoot me now.

Besides, why leave what is shaping up to me the coolest team on the planet? And if you do, then Bayern. Bundesligia is a far, far stronger league than the EPL right now, and far mor entertaining. Stay there. But if you must, for chrstsake, not Spurs.

<despair and rant over>

Excellency, Zinkoff, Burr and 5 others repped this.
  25. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    lol, the name of the game, unfortunately, is money.

Anyway, who knows where this fairy tale might end . . .

JJV1994 and Tony in Quakeland repped this.