Christian Pulisic at AC Milan

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Balerion, Jun 30, 2014.

1. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    I'm assuming that is a video game? No, I just don't think it is done enough given how effective speed is directly down the middle of the pitch.

2. Midas Mulligan

Midas Mulligan Member+

Jul 24, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, it is.

And what you’re talking about is the “meta” tactic of that game. I have jokingly mentioned in other places that Klopp basically builds meta FIFA teams. High pressure, skilled dribblers with pace, defend the center, attack the center.

All of that to say, I 100% agree. While it’s over utilized in the video game, it’s underutilized irl.

3. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    BVB was dour, even watching with one eye like I did. But CP was less bad than much of the team. There was, for instance, the cushion bring down in the box in the second half. It was a very, very difficult ball to control in tight space. And while CP did nothing exceptional with it (he was about 5-6 line, a few meter right of the near post with two defenders on him) there was no awareness from Dortmund attack that the ball was in the box a perhaps an error could be forced. It was like a sea of blue with one yellow finch bobbing on the towering breakers... ok, not really but if you read Breugel's Icarus recently... well, you should. But I digress.

Then there was the cross to Goetze I think it was. A nice floating cross across the box. Goetze is alone wide. Traps - at about 8 meters, outside 18 meter box, and crosses it OUT of the 18 to a blue shirt... WTF? Late game. Need a goal. All your attackers pushes up nearly on the goal line and you play the "let's start a counter" ball. It's just stupid football. That's not coaching or anything. That's just boys turning off their brains.

4. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    Another coach who used a similar concept but vastly different was Mourinhnino. He used to use Drogba like a battering ram to break teams right down the middle. I have no idea what he does now. Bale also used to play down the center of the pitch to great effect . For me CP can be an elite ACM or reserved striker. Still angry neither Bob nor Bruce had the vision or stack to play Donovan Beasley as tandem forwards . Could have been our Romario and bebeto.

Midas Mulligan repped this.
  5. adi21

adi21 Member

The ones that have Americans starting
    United States
    Mar 17, 2001
    Maryland
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For comic relief , and blatant homey bias , take a look at these Kicker ratings:
    Reus 3.5
    Sahin 4
    Schurrle 4
    Shmelzer 5
    Pulisic 5
    I dare anybody to justify these ratings .

6. They know about soccer?;)

7. frankburgers

frankburgers Member+

May 31, 2016
    lol are these real? pulisic's second half alone should have made him a 3.5 he was by far the most dangerous player, in an otherwise listless side. schurrle once again was garbage. he isnt good enough

largegarlic and HartwickFan repped this.
  8. adi21

adi21 Member

United States
    Mar 17, 2001
    Maryland
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is it possible "they" know soccer , and be bias at the same time ?

9. adi21

adi21 Member

United States
    Mar 17, 2001
    Maryland
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shurrle is German , so he's automatically 1 point better than Pulisic . By the way, Seltzer :) at the very least was a 5.5 , a 6 wouldn't have been outrageous , he was full of gas .

10. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Bats is really hurt. I take back all my snark. That sucks for him. Schalke was chippy and the ref was letting them get away with it - and I think too much, but the challenge on Bats didn't look that bad live. Haven't seen the replay, but hate for that happen to him. He was one of the few BVB bright spots.

Winoman repped this.
  11. punintended_13

punintended_13 Member+

Atlanta United
    Mar 22, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Dortmund have no bite in the midfield anymore. They rely on their attackers creating chances out of nothing and it just doesn't work, not even for Marco Reus. They used to be a lot better about winning the ball in the midfield that would lead to getting their attackers in space, but these days they just pass around the defenders before eventually asking CP or another attacker to force through a wall of defenders.

I've watched about 90-95% of BVB's games since CP had his debut, and the stark contrast between the way the team is now and the way it was 2 years ago is disappointing.

They never win the second ball. Anytime the ball is bouncing around the midfield, they never come away with it. I don't know if it's talent, tactics, mentality, or a combination of all 3, but it's been very hard to watch as CP is asked time and time again to turn water into wine.

largegarlic repped this.
  12. adi21

adi21 Member

United States
    Mar 17, 2001
    Maryland
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unlike Kicker, ESPN watched the game .
    Here's their more objective ratings ( 1 to 10 ) :
    Seltzer 2
    Sahin 3
    Shurrle 3
    Reus 5
    Pulisic 5
    the only field player with a higher rating was Omer Toprak 6

13. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    Did they give Dahoud a 1 and Bobby wood a 6.5 for old times sake?

HartwickFan, kba4life1 and adi21 repped this.
  14. adi21

adi21 Member

United States
    Mar 17, 2001
    Maryland
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This week they were too busy dumping on Pulisic and being fan boys of any German standing on the pitch .

15. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reus actually took up good spaces in the box to get some shots off, 3/4 on target. He didn't get dispossessed and was a threat from set pieces. Clearly the best on the pitch for BVB, in attack at least. Still not that great.

For CP tho, 3/10 dribbles is poor. 2 of his numerous passes were crosses, both of which were good and 1 resulted in a shot! However most of his passing wasn't dangerous at all, fair amount of back passing. He was dispossessed in his own half a few times. Just not a good outing, never going to get a good score with this kind of performance.

Those other attackers (apart from Reus IMO), they didn't create more than CP for the most part... but they also didn't make as many mistakes either.

HartwickFan repped this.
  16. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    The fans seem to be turning on CP. There are more fans saying he shouldn't be starting, that he'd be better as a sub, and not in Reddit but on the SchwatzGelb forum.

The dribbling numbers are the most criticized, followed by the imprecise crossing. Also, the Kicker ratings do have an effect on fans: many didn't turn on Wood until he started getting sixes.

17. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you sure it's not because he has 1 goal in 1300 minutes?

striker and HartwickFan repped this.
  18. Nooooo:eek:Really? Bunch of bigots.:mad:

19. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    Yeah, Pulisic didn't have his best game, but still created some chances. Schurrle didn't do anything positive whatsoever.

20. Whatever this season. Comes a new season, comes a fresh start.

21. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    I think that's the big issue from my point of view too. When they were great at possessing the ball and moved so fluidly in attack, winning balls back in midfield wasn't a huge concern, nor were their frailties at the back. Now that their offense has become so stilted and lacking in cohesion, it becomes very apparent that they can't win by imposing their will physically and through superior determination (as Schalke seems to be doing this year). I know it's easier said than done, but I feel like they need to get a real stud two-way CM in the summer.

22. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No justification. IMO, much is expected of CP and he is being judged against the best that he has shown. I think the expectation is a 2.5 and, as a result, he is penalized when not achieving that mark. Say it ain't so, Joe, but I am worried. His game has gone backward. In addition, nothing about the current situation indicates that he is being encouraged to pick up his 1v1 activity or help the team develop small group attacking skills. Of which BvB seems never to have heard. He desperately needs a new, knowledgeable and encouraging coach at this point in his career.

23. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

24. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    I think Pulisic is having trouble transitioning from being one cog in a fairly effective machine to being expected to be one of the main guys leading the attack. Last year he had Dembele on the opposite flank drawing attention, and Aubameyang up top drawing attention (and finishing crosses...how much do Dortmund miss that?). That gave him more room to operate and more options to combine with others.

Now, when you watch Dortmund, he'll get the ball around midfield, and there's nothing for him to do with the ball other than try to turn and take on the defender(s) in front of him. And he's not Messi, so most of the time, that doesn't work, but he does seem to put in a dangerous cross once or twice per half.

25. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its almost like getting 6's in Kicker correlated with Bobby Wood's poor play!

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.