Christian Pulisic at AC Milan

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Balerion, Jun 30, 2014.

1. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    #13501 Cris 09, Nov 21, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
    Most team in the CL are currently better teams than BVB...no shame in that. Currently, Spurs is a better club. I have no issue saying that. We suck at the moment. Heck, even Apoel managed to tie us - TWICE!!! What the team is today is not what it is yesterday and it is not what it will be again tomorrow.

Real Corona repped this.
  2. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    It really isn't disrespectful to Tottenham to say BvB is a wreck right now. They are a club in crisis.

I don't know about most balanced 11 in football, but they are a good side and are playing very well. Dortmund OTOH are like a ship without a rudder, listless and bereft of ideas.

3. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IMHO, Dortmund is stuck with a coaching problem. Bosz is no Sam Allardyce. The defensive organization is abysmal. In context, horrible individual errors are minor. The major problem is a lack of defensive cohesion in the team that runs (probably) right from the attackers on back to the keeper. The players are not covering one another and the group is not compact. Some of the players are not good. Burki, for one. I also have little faith in the linking between midfield--->defensive midfield---->central defense as some of those players are not strong. Some are made to look worse by inept mates. Bottom line, however, this is primarily an organizational problem and there is ample evidence that the proper organization yields great outcomes with this Dortmund team. Bosz needs to go.

4. PalmettoSpur

PalmettoSpur Member

Oct 21, 2015
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Dortmund needs steel. I feel like they have an abundance of players with speed and/or technical ability, but they need power and physicality. It's mindboggling that they haven't used that Dembele money to build a stronger spine.

5. This is a guy who wouldnot be given one moment of a thought on the continent by any club.
    He's the Andy Carrol of the coaches, only (over) valued in the EPL.

6. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    933358191819177985 is not a valid tweet id

Winoman, CA23 and PalmettoSpur repped this.
  7. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    Alardyce is good at getting his defenses organized. Bosz isn't (or at least isn't with this Dortmund team at the moment). I think that was the only point.

lmorin repped this.
  8. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I agree. I'm just saying that they are still within striking distance of where they "should" be in BL, whereas you can't say the same in CL (necessarily). Beating Schalke puts them top 4 again, and they've shown this season that they can score goals and create chances against just about anyone. Just need backup back line to step up for while they get healthy.

I said one of the most balanced... performances in this tough CL group show that.

...who have created 2nd most chances in the BL, only behind the obviously superior Bayern. Chances created + goals scored, BVB are probably top 10-15 in Europe. The goals against is the stat that has held them back, and the back line is where they have been hardest hit with injuries.

I won't argue about the manager's inability to adapt... but the fact remains he hasn't had a healthy squad to pick his 11 from for weeks, has he? I'm always on the side of "don't fire the guy" unless things have gone unexplainably wrong. Chelsea a few years ago under Jose, Liverpool under Hodgson, United under Moyes, the obvious examples of the manager clearly being the problem. With BVB, it's easy to figure out what happened & they're in a good position to have a very strong BL season. He still might get canned, but they'd just be scapegoating their poor defensive performance IMO and perhaps hoping for that magical new manager bump!

9. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    I disagreed.

PB has basically the same roster to pick from since the start of the season where they won 6 or 7 games.

What happened is the BL coaches figured hiim out, and he failed to adapt either tactically during games, or personnel wise to help with that backline that keeps leaking goals.

PB is most at fault, not the injuries.

y-lee-coyote and madvillain repped this.
  10. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Piszczek went down in late September and Schmelzer went down in early September. 1st choice LB has missed half the season, and BVB hasn't been able to pick their 1st or 2nd choice RB since late September... so the above statement is clearly not true.

11. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly. Thank you.

12. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    They need a couple of defensive players in January.

And a new coach, of course. I think Bosz has lost the team.

PS: Buying good defenders in January = paying through the nose. It may not happen.

13. EricSunRa

EricSunRa Member

FC Dallas
    United States
    Sep 29, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    FC Dallas

Pulisic Einsatz fürs Derby fraglich

"Ob er im so wichtigen Derby gegen den FC Schalke 04 am Samstag (15.30 Uhr) wieder mitwirken kann? „Ich hoffe es“, hatte Trainer Peter Bosz nach der Tottenham-Partie gesagt. Und die Hoffnung scheint berechtigt."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pulisic use questionable for the derby

"Will he play in the important derby against Schalke on Saturday?
    'I hope so', coach Peter Bosz said after the Tottenham game. And hope seems justified."

Winoman repped this.
  14. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    Their technical ability really is not that great. I am very sorry to say that but Castro, Auba, Schmeltzer, Sokratis, are not particularly technical players.

adam tash repped this.
  15. Are you suggesting there are players sabotaging the club by loosing matches to get rid of the coach?
    Could it be that these are the (imaginative) players feeling their days as player for BVB are numbered?

16. So you're saying this guy would be able to let the defenders other posters call insufficient become defensive world beaters.
    Or are you saying he would make BVB a bunker soccer playing team? Let's keep the clean sheet, worry about scoring ourself later. Would Puli be part of such team?

Sufjan Guzan repped this.
  17. #13517 feyenoordsoccerfan, Nov 23, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2017
    People narrate things into what serves their purpose.
    Feyenoord lost their complete defense and we're not winning matches. So the media are talking/writing about a crisis at Feyenoord:rolleyes:
    Yeah, in the middle of replacing transferred defenders, we had to fill up the defense with midfielders.
    So the impact of loosing the core is undeniable in a league as strong as the BuLi is.

18. As I already posted, the one PB wants is on the hit list of loaded clubs.
    So, if you cannot get what you need to improve, what's the use of paying big number of millions to chuck off a coach, while the reason of dropping points cannot be solved, so the incoming man will leak goals like before?

19. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are missing the point. Allardyce has a solid history of making failing teams better by improving their defensive organization. The result is improved play all around. No, not a bunker team, a better defensive team which is not the same thing as a bunker team. And, no, clean sheets are the result of good defense which, if done right, need not come at the expense of good attacking.

Nobody has advocated for Allardyce as the Dortmund coach, including me. He is merely an example of a coach with the capability of getting the most out of a team with serious defensive woes.

20. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    Have to wonder if CP could move in January. If BVB is out of Europe at group stage and out of the running in BL, CP might be more open to a team chasing titles. Bvb is also playing like dog poo.

21. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Chances are Slim and None, and Slim just left town, so no. He hasn't had that good a first half statistically and BvB surely need the player worse than they need the cash. That seller's market would make for another 75-80 mil transfer, and it is hard to see that based on the first half of a season.

wixson7 and TarHeels17 repped this.
  22. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    I was in Munich a few weeks ago and everyone (fans and commentators) is clamoring for Pulstic to be bought. So your stats argument is meaningless-they watch the actual games.

23. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Of course, however, it is not binary. The choice is not: our D is not good enough so we need to spends 10's of millions on a defender or we need to give up.

There are currently 9 teams in the B1 who have given up less goals than Dortmund, including lowly Bremen. Dortmund have a very decent goal scoring rate - though low of late - that suggests some of the problem is game management and small adjustments.

Whether the current coaching stff(it's rarely just the "main" coach) has the touch to get the team back on "top 3" track is unclear. If the coach does not know how to manage his team to manage games - both winning those you "should" win and sometimes stealing points out of tight games (which is less an issue for Dortmund as most of their games are in the first category) then spending big on a top-tier defender is going to be less effective.

I'm not well versed enough in Dortumnd inner workings to have a good opinion on where the main source of their trouble lies, but the choices is not between "break the bank" defender or nothing. Many clever coaches/clubs have found gems in the rough that help get the few extra points Dortmund needs to be a contender at this point.

Suyuntuy and Winoman repped this.
  24. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I watch the actual games too. I am not a stts guy, I can do real mathematics, I am also a huge Puli fan and think he has the potential to be in the BdO conversation in a few years.

You can attach whatever reason you want then, but he is not dominating except in flashes, and he is under contract for a very long time. Pulisic is not likely to pull a Dembele and refuse to train even if he wants a transfer. Dortmund have no need to sell. Don't need the cash, and they need him.

He is one of the team leaders in minutes played pre-injury, and there is no way BvB sell a player like that in the winterpause.

I think Auba would be more likely and don't see that happening either.

Oh and Puli returned to training. Looks to be good to go for the Darby. I am still thinking he is going to blow up if he is healthy.

He is rested and fresh, and IIRC this was his first BL start for the senior team.

Winoman repped this.
  25. punintended_13

punintended_13 Member+

Atlanta United
    Mar 22, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls