Christian Pulisic at AC Milan

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Balerion, Jun 30, 2014.

1. madvillain

madvillain Member+

Aug 28, 2011
    Club:
    Brooklyn Knights
    You're seeing the weaknesses of the BVB team lately and one of the biggest ones is that they are incredibly reliant on Auba and that Auba has no backup so he's prone to be over played. He's off form right now and they have no viable alts up top.

Relying on that Isak kid is completely bonkers. He looks like he should be playing in the Dutch league at best.

Pulisic and Auba aren't the only ones struggling either. Yarmo is a great talent but he's a slow, big IF, not a true pacey winger and combined with Gotze and Kagawa it just slows their biggest asset (their countering speed with Pulisic and Auba and Weigl) down.

Bench Kagawa/Gotze. Insert CP into the middle. Play Weigl behind him. Get that Zhagadou kid back on the pitch, he's pacey, fits their style even though he's raw.

2. MtnGardener

MtnGardener Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 21, 2017
    My view of it is that BVB are just not reading each other well. They have looked more like a national team than a club team lately. This makes sense. Gotze has been out. Yarmo is new. Dembele is gone. CP is very green. Weigl has been out. TT is gone, Bosz is changing things. I think they need time to figure each other out and find the combos that work. The combos that worked with last year's team aren't going to work now. It isn't realistic to expect them to beat teams that are more coherent. We can hope and we can be disappointed. I will be disappointed if the season doesn't progress toward better play. And if it doesn't progress then fire Bosz, because the talent is there. If he can't find a way to use it then he isn't the right man for the job.

Winoman, EricSunRa and madvillain repped this.
  3. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I think you are onto something, but I think it is the tactical change that has them at sixes and nines in attack. These guys played together plenty, and they know each other. They were built to utilize the half spaces, and PB wants to go wide for crosses and stretching the field.

They need fullbacks who can get forward for that.Toljan so far has not been the answer and is a part of the defensive problem. Burki has been poor and looks to be channeling his inner Weidenfeller.

Even at that, they are producing goals at a fair rate. They are defending poorly. The return of Bartra and Weigl is going to help, if they could get Rafael back he will help. He could play beside Weigl and that has the makings of a very good combo, or as a fb, thought to be his best position, and that would still make the offense better.

There is also the idea that football is much easier to play great defense than it is too score goals. Over time the better team will win on aggregate, but on any given day a team that hangs it hat on offense can drop points. This offense can do better, but the enemy gets a say in matters.

4. justinpaul10

justinpaul10 Member+

Sep 2, 2013
    For me the tactics are a big issue here. There is just little coherency or ideas against strong defenses or teams that can play out of pressure. His style is a little frustrating to watch, and seems internally inconsistent if that makes sense.

5. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Yes it makes perfect sense. They built a helluva an offense and go hire a defensive coach.

justinpaul10 repped this.
  6. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    Bosz has got to do much better, BVB been dropping points rapidly. BM might overtake them today. At the mimnium, they would tie BVB on points after today.

Bosz started this game all wrong.

7. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Not only starts wrong but goes up 2-0 on the road and makes a weird double change and messes it up worse. WTF!!

Our boy was not good today. Trying to do too much, perhaps feeling the weight of expectations? He just needs to relax and play football. Keep it simple and don't overthink things.

8. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    He's not standing out like he did early in the season. I wonder if the workload is getting to him a bit.

9. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    I have a feeling the WC disaster is still not behind him yet.

10. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pulisic will continue to start on quality alone with this squad. Philip and Yarmolenko can't keep him out of a lineup, I think. That should be scary to BVB fans.

Tuchel would be getting mroe out of the current group.

11. frankburgers

frankburgers Member+

May 31, 2016
    Just as I said a month ago, he hasn't been producing. He has moments of brilliance that don't lead to anything. He's in bad form overall.

But ITT, he can do no wrong.

12. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    all players go through tough times.

Winoman repped this.
  13. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    They were off to a flying start, but you wondered if the rest of the BL coaches already figured out Bosz's games.

- Marked Auba, take him out of the game
    - Play direct ball behind that high press and slow defense

Do that, and you have a great shot at winning the game. You have seen Frankfurt, RB Leipzig, and Tottenham done this to great effect.

y-lee-coyote and Winoman repped this.
  14. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It looks to be a bad weekend for our USA players.

15. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT

Yedlin won

16. dcochran

dcochran Member+

Feb 17, 1999
    Vero Beach, FL
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As did Danny Williams.

17. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    A bad 4 years to come

18. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT

That was impressive, beating Man U and Mourinho.

19. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tuchel HAD this group, or better, and got worse results

4 wins, 3 draws, 2 losses through 9 games last season. Can't say I was all that impressed by Tuchel last year...

wsmaugham and sXeWesley repped this.
  20. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    I have to say I don't think Bosz is in Tuchel's league as a coach.

21. ???8 matches- 6 wins - last 2 matches a loss and a draw...
    How were they doing last season after 8 matches?

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  22. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    The Good: Dortmund is scoring regularly, and some pretty goals.

The Bad: Pulisic is neither scoring nor assisting in those goals.

The Ugly: That defense makes sure the goals scored aren't worth much.

Another week goes by, and Peter Bosz takes another step towards the edge.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  23. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    really thats pretty amazing to read.

could've swore that bd was better last year.

I mean they made the champions league quarter final....right now Bosz has a big match coming up to try to get third in the group stage to keep them in europe. TT.....did better did he not?

24. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Last year better in UCL, worse in BL...better against good teams, worse against bad teams.

Both coaches eschew defensive approaches, Bosch's team looks a little more disorganized at the back to me, Tuchel's team looked disorganized in the attack

In my eyes it's a push and it makes me wonder why BVB's administrators keep going for coaches who seem to think pragmatism is immoral. I mean, it's one thing to always sit back and win via the counter, it's another to at least start a game more conservative against Real Madrid or Baryern.

Eighteen Alpha and neems repped this.