Christian Pulisic at AC Milan

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Balerion, Jun 30, 2014.

1. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Everything you post is true. Its just needs to happen naturally. He'll get naturally stronger but if he doesn't he'll still be a quick elusive, fast, very good soccer player who's more on the lean side like Neymar. What ever happens, happens.

2. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT

He doesn't need to get bigger or bulkier. He just needs to get a little stronger.

Dead lift, squats, and benches we'll get you there in no time. You'll still stay lean, and may get leaner, but damn you will be a lot stronger, quicker, faster.

3. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He will naturally get stronger. But he doesn't need to get Burke big.

beerslinger23 repped this.
  4. beerslinger23

beerslinger23 Member+

Jun 26, 2010
    Pulisic will get a little meatier and juicier. Just look at his parents. I think a little more muscle and bone density can't hurt for CONCACAF play.
    I think he will end up like his parents. Athletic, a little meaty but in no way fat or out of shape and compact. He might ad a few pounds of muscle, a little bone density and that's it.

5. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    And he's short, in the tradition of the great dribblers.

6. MtnGardener

MtnGardener Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 21, 2017
    And both of those shrimps are heavier than he is both by raw weight and also by weight/height. He really is that skinny right now. Look, I am not saying he should bulk up intentionally. I am saying he is 19 years and 7 days old and he will bulk up naturally just by getting older and continuing to train. In my opinion it will help his game.

FirstStar repped this.
  7. frankburgers

frankburgers Member+

May 31, 2016
    Interesting to see who of pulisic, maxi or yarmo gets left out vs Madrid.
    Maxi with a brace at the weekend helps his cause. Yarmo has been in decent form himself. Pulisic with one goal and no assists in last five league games isn't a good run. Moments of brilliance with the ball but limited end product.

I think it will be maxi and pulisic with yarmo on bench

8. eliwood

eliwood Member+

Jul 25, 2016
    Can't see Yarmolenko and his extensive European experience getting left out

Europa League: 42 apps, 12 goals, 11 assists
    Champions League: 25 apps, 5 goals, 5 assists

9. kba4life1

kba4life1 Member+

Jul 14, 2010
    Irvine, CA
    Yeah the fact that Yarmo was rested and Pulisic was pulled early leads me to think they'll both start, but who knows. I don't think Max Phillip will offer much against top quality teams...his touch isn't tight and he's not quick enough on the ball to beat top quality athletic defenders. With that said... his production has been very solid so you could make a strong argument he's earned his chance to prove himself.

Has Phillip played as a 9 before? Might be a decent guy to actually give Auba a break here and there since Isak isn't ready

10. ShaftBrewer

ShaftBrewer Member+

Jul 18, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is no way they're resting their best player for one of the biggest games of the season

11. beerslinger23

beerslinger23 Member+

Jun 26, 2010
    #11986 beerslinger23, Sep 24, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
    This would make sense if you aren't watching the games.

He's got 1 goal in his last 2 which is way more indicative of current form than your well chosen 1 in his last 5. Interesting that you failed to mention he has 3 in his last 7 league appearances with an assist and that is as the third goal scoring option on his team which only plays with a single striker. In other words, most of the time the ball goes to Auba.

I can think of two instances off the top of my head where his aggression, pressing and link up play led directly to a goal scoring play.

Against Hamburg he fed Yarmo on a fast break who took a shot which was deflected slightly and then tapped in by Auba. It may have gone in anyway IIRC .

Against M'gladbach when pressing the back line to create a turnover he blocked an attempted longball from either the CB or FB, another teammate, perhaps it was Sahin or Castro, I don't recall but they recovered it a few yards away and that ball was passed directly to Auba who scored.

I don't remember the timestamp on those plays but they should both be in the highlight packages for those respective matches so he has influenced at least 3 of t BVB's last 6 goals directly and I wasn't really even looking for that.

No one can watch his last two matches and claim he is out of form with a straight face

chalaron, sXeWesley, kumuyc and 3 others repped this.
  12. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess my eyes deceive me. Clearly a noticeable difference in build/height/weight between the two.

[​IMG]

deejay and AngelaMerkin repped this.
  13. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it's Yarmo and Pulisic who'll start with Yarmo and Philipp starting on the weekend.

Anyway, I think you're missing the dynamic Pulisic adds with his pace and dribbling. He's currently averaging 5.5 dribbles per game and leads the Bund in total dribbles at 33. Number two on BVB is Philipp with 13. And his dribbling/pace causes massive attention from the opposition, which in turn opens things up for a guy like Philipp who on his 2nd goal yesterday was completely unmarked in the box. Meanwhile Pulisic had 2-3 defenders on him almost all evening.

BVB need Puli out there as he's the only one providing the defense altering threat on a regular basis in possession. I don't see Philipp offering near the threat at unlocking Madrid in possession. He's more a very good finisher who excels off the attention of others.

Namdynamo, wsmaugham, orcrist and 5 others repped this.
  14. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Max is a rising star in his own right. The scouts at BVB are the real MVP's of this organization. They have been after Yarmo for some years and now we know why.

I find it laughable that anybody is slating CP for his performances this season. When a player merits the focus of three of four defenders says everything. Dortmund keep winning, and if the defense pays attention to those other guys he will get his.

This is what I rate most about him, he creates danger. It isn't always going to show up in goals or assists for him. Of course you can stop him if you keep three defenders playing him. That is how he makes others around him better. Even then he may still find a way to have a more direct effect on the game with a timely steal that leads to a goal or a fk/corner that leads to a goal.

Hard to believe he is a barely 19 year old American and a star on a top ten side.

zanderbz, taylor and beerslinger23 repped this.
  15. beerslinger23

beerslinger23 Member+

Jun 26, 2010
    Was going to take exception to this but right now, I can't disagree. Bayern are a shell and Dortmund is top of the league. EPL has done little in CL the last couple of years so I'll give them 2 teams, Italy gets 2, Spain gets 3, Germany gets 2, France gets 1 because strip-mined PSG mined Monaco.

Dortmund must be top 10.

y-lee-coyote repped this.
  16. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I will concede it is arguable. On any given day, they can go toe to toe with the best.

17. justinpaul10

justinpaul10 Member+

Sep 2, 2013
    Out of curiosity, where are you pulling your stats from? Bundesliga.com?

18. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    HartwickFan and orcrist repped this.
  19. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Team of the Week:

20. Dutch paper interview with Bosz:
    https://www.ad.nl/buitenlands-voetbal/bosz-is-de-boss-in-duitsland~a96df23a/

[​IMG]
    Peter Bosz © EPA

Bosz is de ‘Boss’ in Duitsland

Peter Bosz dendert met Borussia Dortmund door de Bundesliga. De 6-1 zege op Mönchengladbach pookte de euforie voor de CL-kraker van morgen tegen Real Madrid nog verder op.

Maarten Wijffels 25-09-17, 08:34

,,Maar ik geef spelers nooit kans om te gaan twijfelen aan onze spelopvatting, mochten ze dat überhaupt al willen’’, zei Bosz na die 3-1 nederlaag. ,,Wie mij kent, weet dat ik daar heel duidelijk in ben. Je gaat mee in de speelwijze of ik heb je niet nodig."

"But I never give players the chance to doubt our play vision, If they would want that überhaupt at all", Bosz said after the 3-1 defeat. "Who knows me, knows I'm very clear about that. You either go along in this play vision, or I donot need you."

21. Midas Mulligan

Midas Mulligan Member+

Jul 24, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was doubtful about how things would go with Bosz based on the preseason. Happy to see he and the team are making those concerns seem stupid right now.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  22. nycfc919

nycfc919 Member+

Aug 17, 2015
    It has really helped out his cause that he's been able to avoid injuries (for the most part - slight knock here or there). The rest of BVB has been ravaged by injuries the past 2 seasons - let's pray that this continues!

23. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now when he blows his acl midweek against Madrid, we know who to blame.

justinpaul10 and PalmettoSpur repped this.
  24. orcrist

orcrist Member+

Jun 11, 2005
    Bay Area, California, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As orcrist valiantly gets a knuckle injury knocking on wood...

wixson7, diablodelsol, Winoman and 2 others repped this.
  25. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    PalmettoSpur repped this.