Christian Pulisic at AC Milan

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Balerion, Jun 30, 2014.

1. KenC

KenC Member+

Jun 11, 2003
    What I don't understand about soccer transfers is that you are essentially selling someone's remaining contract years, so none of the valuations make any sense without the context of how many years are remaining on their contracts. If a player is out of contract, a Bosman, their transfer value is zero. If a player has 5 years remaining on a contract, then you can amortize his transfer cost over the life of that contract. The implication being that players with lots of years remaining on their contracts are going to cost more to transfer, and those with fewer years left, are going to cost less to transfer. So, transfer valuations without knowing how many years are remaining on a player's contract seems like a pretty meaningless endeavor.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  2. KenC

KenC Member+

Jun 11, 2003
    Happens all the time in Silicon Valley. 10 years ago, some VC pays $500M for a 5% share of some company, let's call it Facebook. The day of the transaction, the book value of that little company jumps to $10B. Is it really "worth" $10B? According to the Treasury Dept., and IRS, yes, yes it is. They are very transaction-oriented. Actions speak louder than words, and so real transactions mean more than valuations. Of course in hindsight a transaction like that for Facebook seem like no-brainers today, but back when it happened, people were saying it was crazy, since 6 months before, some VC invested money for a lot less. (I may have gotten the dates and percentages wrong, but you get my drift)

Now, in a court, the heir of a schizo billionaire might argue that the transaction was not a real transaction since the billionaire was not in sound mind, being schizo, so in fact, he might be able to prove that the toenail clipping is not worth $10B.

3. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Dot Com bubble happened as well. And so did the real estate bubble and financial crisis. Cryptocurrency like Bitcoin exists, and really all shares of stock are of dubious "value". My point is that the TV money in English soccer (and the Chinese Super League to a lesser extent) is artificially inflating the "value" of players. Someone paid 110 million dollars for Pogba, which is fine. On the other hand, Dybala went to Juventus for less than 1/3rd the fee, but you're not going to convince me that Pogba's over 3 times "better", or more "worth it" than Dybala, just because someone overpaid for Pogba.

4. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Sure, but in most (not all, of course) cases where folks talk about transfer value as meaningful it is because there is enough time on the contract, or the player is valuable enough, that a club won't wait out the clock.

5. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I haven't run the numbers, but each place in the EPL is worth a set amount of money, plus a lot of less easy to compute value, If you think Pogba gets you into the CL, or keeps you from the drop, that's a pretty decent amount of dough. Again, might not come close to costs, I haven't looked, but there are revenue difference between leagues. But Football/Soccer/Sports is not a "normal" business and there is major warpage in many areas of its economics.

6. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe you have it mixed up. When submitting a transfer fee you also agree to a new contract/terms/salary with the player you're buying. You're not buying the remaining years on a contract, you're buying the rights to a player under a new contract with your club.

It's not like the NBA where you can trade players against their will and there's more value when there's more years left on the contract.

mckersive and Cris 09 repped this.
  7. taylor

taylor Member+

Jun 9, 2000
    Fav team: FC CARL ZEISS JENA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Well, the thing, I really dont understand is why players dont openly declare that they will not renew their contract in their last two years and openly declare that they will be open to the market in two years.
    The only one I know of who did that was Michael Ballack.

8. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    There's a sphere where what you pay becomes the worth: art.

That's why many scams start with a work of art. You know it's worthless, but set out with a pal to transact it for a crazy price.

Next thing you know, people are lining up to pay twice as much.

9. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    #9234 Cris 09, Jun 23, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2017
    Lewandowski did the same thing. BVB decided to keep him anyway and have him play out his contract.

I think most players keep quiet because in the end it raises their price. If a club knows a player won't renegotiate a contract they could probably get them for much less money. It would be a dick move to your club to do that, not to mention a huge distraction. Might even get you sent to the U21 side for a few weeks if management is pissed off enough about it.

Hmmm. I am not sure this would work. Art doesn't get sold every few years. Art doesn't have to perform, just look nice. Art is a luxury not a need.Art doesn't depreciate in value, quite the opposite. Art to some eccentric billionaire good indeed be a toe nail clipping from Lady Gaga.

10. Wolfbeatseagle

Wolfbeatseagle Member+

May 7, 2007
    The Bermuda Tetrahedron
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's a vacancy on the right wing for Roma now. Just saying...

11. theboogeyman

theboogeyman Member+

Jun 21, 2010
    I've read that Roma is already looking at shaqiri to fill that spot, which would mean that.........Stoke City are coming back for pulisic!

Gorky, GoingGoaling and Cris 09 repped this.
  12. Wolfbeatseagle

Wolfbeatseagle Member+

May 7, 2007
    The Bermuda Tetrahedron
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stoke said Shaqiri isn't for sale, and Roma fans rejoiced.

13. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    That would be a step down...Just Saying.

Dr.Phil repped this.
  14. Midas Mulligan

Midas Mulligan Member+

Jul 24, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You make a good point, and it helped me crystallize an analogy. Player transactions are a lot like buying advertising media.

You compete with other advertisers to buy an audience, but that audience isn't worth the same thing to all advertisers. In fact, it's worth wildly different things depending on a myriad of unique considerations. One of the major ways it varies in value to me is the placement (i.e., medium and site/channel and time) relative to what I'm selling. And that sort of thing matters. If CP's Quality Used Cars wants to advertise to me, it's worth more to them to hit me up when I'm browsing autotrader than when I'm ordering Indian food from Seamless.

15. Wolfbeatseagle

Wolfbeatseagle Member+

May 7, 2007
    The Bermuda Tetrahedron
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lateral move at best but wages solve that. Just ask PL players.

16. chalaron

chalaron Member+

Aug 15, 2006
    Baton Rouge, Louisia
    They will ask you if you're looking to pawn it or sell it. If you need cash fast but it's something you don't want back, you sell it at a severe discount for the benefit of getting the money right then.

beerslinger23 repped this.
  17. chalaron

chalaron Member+

Aug 15, 2006
    Baton Rouge, Louisia
    Thankfully it's Mississippi State, so things usually go the other teams way.

Deeneaus and Midas Mulligan repped this.
  18. beerslinger23

beerslinger23 Member+

Jun 26, 2010
    They also do trades. I've gotten a couple nice guitar amplifiers and a nice desktop computer monitor at a great discount by trading equipment at pawn shops.

19. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For those who are still pursuing player values, have a look at this:
    https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/22/...on=inside-nyt-region&WT.nav=inside-nyt-region
    Sorry, but I was unable to copy any of the text from the article, but the sub-heading says the following:

beerslinger23 repped this.
  20. DeAndresHaircut

DeAndresHaircut Member+

Jul 24, 2015
    Pennsylvania
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One day he will fulfill his destiny at Stoke City

LouisianaViking07/09 and taylor repped this.
  21. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT

If CP keeps improving, like we all expect, his next logical step is Bayern Munich.

A league is well known, guarantee CL plays every year as well as domestic trophies.

Many great players have played and are playing for BM.

I give it 2-3 years and he'll be there.

22. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I believe I addressed that in chapter 2 of "a guy who clearly been closer to flat broke than many on this board..." And then kids, we didn't have bank machines! Yeah, I know... And on Sunday, if your local bar wouldn't cash your check (or if, more likely, you didn't have money in your checking account) you dumped the sofa for change or just hung out in the bar until the barkeep took pity... Then there were these things called "answering services..." but I digress.

I doubt CP goes from Dortmund to BM unless he has the season to end all seasons. More likely he goes to Engerland next. Will be very hard to resist the coin of the realm.

Wish we had a few more starters in Germany. That'll be the league to watch again next season. Be nice if we had 3 or 4 more regulars so there's was a better chance of getting 2 players for your ninety minutes.

Jazzy Altidore repped this.
  23. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT

If he can consistently be the top 5 in the BL in goals/assists for 2-3 seasons, there's a very solid chance BM would pick him up.

But I do agree, no one can offer the $$$ like the EPL teams.

24. justinpaul10

justinpaul10 Member+

Sep 2, 2013
    Interesting but lot of rumors floating around right now re Jesus Corona to Dortmund.

25. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States