Christian Pulisic at AC Milan

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Balerion, Jun 30, 2014.

1. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    You can make an outright sale (so I've been told... although somehow Mom's antique silver was hard to move... so, uh, I've been told...) but in most cases what Pawnshops are set up to do is "loan" you money based on the collateral of your object, and you hope to get it back when you repay the loan + fees. If you "default" the shop gets to keep it and resell, which is why they havve to low-ball you, but most shops hope you come back, pay them the fees and go on your merry way. Better margin.

Cris 09 repped this.
  2. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Anyway, Pawn shop aside, there are tons of ways to think about value/worth. Things like soccer players, especially elite soccer players, are way more difficult than your run-of-the-mill object because you can't really find a bunch of Messi's or even Pulisic's laying around. And it's next to impossible to create one. So standard economic supply-demand pricing etc. kind of fail us in one-of-a-kind situations with small pool of legit buyers.

3. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Meh, same thing as a house, it's worth what someone is willing to pay for it, not whatever you value it at, your wife values it, your neighbor values it, your real estate agent values it, etc, all that matters is the amount of the check a buyer is willing to write.

And like soccer, different homes have different values in different markets. What goes for $1M here in SF would go for 350K in Montana.

6 ft. Leprechaun repped this.
  4. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not a good example. "Value" is determined in a rational market. A schizophrenic person who buys because of his/her illness is not contributing to a rational market. The Pogba transaction is viewed by many as "crazy" and, presumably, not rational. However, performance by performance Pogba demonstrates that ManU made a rational decision in paying "crazy" money for his services and that value is in the eye of the beholder.

5. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    #9205 Cris 09, Jun 21, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2017
    Not true. You may have a house that is worth $1M. I am willing to pay $500,000. That doesn't mean that is the worth of the house. That means that is what I am willing to pay for it. you can tell me to take a hike and wait for the next potential buyer or choose to close the deal. The value is the market value set by the houses around you, school district and quality of the neighborhood. And if no one is willing to pay more than $500,000, and you've had many suitors, than that may be added to the determination of the value.

A player's worth depends on position he plays, age, experience with other clubs, international experience. Not what one club is willing to pay. Worth isn't determined on a single transaction. That is my position.

deuteronomy repped this.
  6. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

There's a definition of value in the sense of what some item subjectively means to a person. But how to measure this type worth is ultimately intangible, subjective, and subject to endless debate. What someone will pay for that item is objective and easily determined, so that's the best proxy for worth.

7. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably more like 100K in Montana.

8. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    #9208 Cris 09, Jun 21, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2017
    You go right ahead and define it that way - we can just agree to disagree.

9. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do not agree to your proposal.

Cris 09 repped this.
  10. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess where we disagree is I put little stock in market value. I've purchased items for far lower than their listed value, like a car for example, and seen people sell assets for well over whatever market value would be. And that ends up being the true worth, not market value. Market values are estimations which have little to do with the buyer and seller. Those two are all that matters in a transaction. It's separating general assets from a specific asset.

11. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    Giannis, Judge and Pulisic are all good for that away. I don't know Hernandez or her sport to have an opinion there. I think Dak is a bit overrated

13. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Holy crap. ESPY know of the Bundesliga? How much did USSF have to pay for this bribe

And I love how it says just Soccer

14. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Three words: Vancouver housing market.

That a 1200 sq. ft. bungalow is selling for 1.2m bucks doesn't mean it's worth it, it's just the Chinese investors hiding money in property that got the price there.

Similar idea with the big clubs in Europe and the money launderiprivate equity funds from Russia, Singapore, the Emirates, USA, and so on putting insane amounts of money into the transfer market.

deuteronomy, Winoman and Cris 09 repped this.
  15. Midas Mulligan

Midas Mulligan Member+

Jul 24, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh my. Here come the cowbells. The scour the internet for slights, so when they show up, don't say you weren't warned.

Deeneaus and gunnerfan7 repped this.
  16. Cyclops1776

Cyclops1776 Member

AC Milan
    United States
    Apr 6, 2017
    There is nothing worse in the world than a stadium of those damn cowbells...espeically when things aren't going your way.

Deeneaus and PalmettoSpur repped this.
  17. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I think the only solution is to take CP to the Pawn Shop and see what his value is sitting a case while
    Well, this is way off the rails, but for a Chinese dual/national who is aware that capital outflow controls (which were instituted not that long ago) could be jacked at any moment, Vancouver real estate is completely "worth" that price. It may not be "worth it" as a living space (although even that is debateable.) but it is clearly worth it as a Chinese economic uncertaintly hedge.

Just like a player might not be "worth it" in terms of putting butts in the seat or future transfer value, but might be in terms of brand building (any number of MLS signings at various points could be cited for that.) Of course, illegal activity like money laundering can also warp markets.

What is difference between Vancouver housing and gold, for instance, which rises when there is widespread monetary uncertainty. Jewelry has not gotten more expensive, people with assets have come to trust "confidence currency" less, so demand for gold goes up.

Vancouver and Toronto housing is a hedge for some international investors and is also fueled b the asymetrical urbanization of the Canadian job market and taste for urban living. So those houses 100% are "worth" that. You could offer most west coast urban homeowners a 100 acre ranch and a 4000 sq foot farm house in Fort Bragg straight trade for that 1200 sq foot house. Very few would take it.

18. taylor

taylor Member+

Jun 9, 2000
    Fav team: FC CARL ZEISS JENA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    If the toenail clipping is unique i.e. nonreplicable, then yes it is.

This would be great news for CP.

19. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gotta love BigSoccer. Now open your text books to page 327 where we will be now diving into the topic of how to launder money....

LouisianaViking07/09 and freisland repped this.
  20. GoBigBlue88

GoBigBlue88 Member+

Feb 11, 2009
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Would Dembele's exit open up more opportunities for Pulisic? They mostly played opposite wings, it seemed, when it lineup at same time. But Dembele drifted so central, hard to say he was ever a true out-and-out winger.

At least imagine it's one less talent competing for time with ball at his feet (and boy, does Dembele like to keep that ball stuck to his feet...)

21. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I obvioulsy grew up in another time, but pawn shop 101 was required for every kid trying to start a band. "Do I pawn the Strat and buy the tweed and just play everything on the double-neck SG... Then I can reclaim the Strat and... or, uh... Man, math is hard!"

22. kba4life1

kba4life1 Member+

Jul 14, 2010
    Irvine, CA
    Potentially, but BVB would probably go out and immediately buy another young attacker like Brandt to replace Dembele.

I hope Dembele stays a bit, it's sad to see Dortmund's best talent perpetually sold off. If Atletico Madrid can keep their top guys, why can't Dortmund?

23. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I'm not sure they would.

They still have tons of attacking options. Theoretically, they could have Pulisic and Philipp as starters with Schurrle and Mor off the bench as wingers. Thats not so bad. When Reus comes back, everyone goes down one spot, so I'm not so sure they would go out and buy another big name winger.

24. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's frankly absurd. "Worth" implies some kind of utility. A toenail provides almost no utility. If we want to say that "worth" is simply how much something was sold for, then fine. Otherwise, there's just no way. How about if I sell a Snickers bar for a million dollars? It's ubiquitous, common, nothing special. There's no amount of utility from that Snickers that can possibly justify that price tag.

With soccer players, they're able to provide utility in multiple ways. They put butts in seats, advertise the club, etc. But that doesn't mean that "overpaying" can't exist. It doesn't erase the fact that there are price points for soccer players where they will never be able to recoup their transfer fees and salaries.

25. taylor

taylor Member+

Jun 9, 2000
    Fav team: FC CARL ZEISS JENA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    #9225 taylor, Jun 22, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
    Lol, ok. If Debemble is a snickers bar, then Ronaldo must be a 5th avenue and OBVIOUSLY CP is a hersheys bar. And for the record, Freddy Adu is, my favorite, the butterfinger and yet millions buy all them for a dollar...

Market value is litterally defined by demand and potential substitutes.

But back to the point, if he goes, CP could finally move into the middle. CP may become a "mint" hersheys bar then ;).