Christian Pulisic at AC Milan

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Balerion, Jun 30, 2014.

1. Midas Mulligan

Midas Mulligan Member+

Jul 24, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He may not get along with the new guy, then. Phrase it however you want.

The new guy could want to bring in other players. Just lots of variables when a new manager is coming in.

All I'm saying is I would be more comfortable with his situation if there weren't a change forthcoming. May work out better, though. I hope it does, ergo, I hope he doesn't find himself out of favor with the new guy.

Winoman, ChuckMe92, Gacm32 and 2 others repped this.
  2. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can someone please fill me in on what went on with the squad and Tuchel? What was the drama?

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  3. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Truth is that Tuchel played Christian a lot and played him in most of BVB's biggest games. While he didn't start CP as much as we would like (and, TBH, not starting him against Monaco may have been one of his biggest mistakes), he still played him a lot and that was good for Christian. Who knows what the next manager will bring. Christian's quality will likely bring him more PT, but I don't think it's ever really good to see a manager who believes in you and plays you at such a young age depart.

Namdynamo, Zinkoff, TxEx and 7 others repped this.
  4. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    May not get along with the new guy has nothing to do with what you said though. That is not about phrasing it however I want - those are simply two completely different approaches to why he may not play.

Agreed.

Every player will eventually have to go through this. Good learning experience for CP. As far as the new guy...I think he'll get time on the pitch. He is that good and I'm confident he will earn it. Heck, many posters here are ready for him to go to Chelsea, Barca, Real Madrid, anyway, right?

5. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A bit of analysis . . .

http://www.starsandstripesfc.com/us...-christian-pulisic-ousmane-dembele-marco-reus

Tuchel and the higher ups at Dortmund have apparently had a falling out, leading to them cutting ties with the manager.

This news comes on the heels of reports emerging that Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang told BVB that he wants to leave this summer. And also news that Marco Reus will miss a significant amount of time with a partially torn ACL.

With the success and potential of Ousmane Dembele, you can be sure that massive bids will be on the way for him as well.

This all adds up for a very interesting and important offseason for Dortmund. They must now find a manager to replace Tuchel, who has been great for Pulisic’s development. He’s managed the teenager’s minutes and exposure very well. Now Pulisic must win over a new manager and hope to remain influential in Dortmund’s plans.

If you’re one of the many Americans invested in Dortmund because of Pulisic, buckle up. It’s going to be a wild summer.

Winoman, Alexisonfire, zanderbz and 4 others repped this.
  6. Midas Mulligan

Midas Mulligan Member+

Jul 24, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought "may find himself out of favor" would cover the gamut, from personality conflict to being replaced by a more talented player or just the new manager having "his guys" or wanting to be credited with bringing along some other youth player (Mor or whatever).

In any event, in my mind it was just a semantical shortcut to relay that a new guy might be bad news in one of a myriad of ways. Probably not. I just don't like the added uncertainty.

Putting that aside, as I don't think we disagree, and I'm not scared of him dropping down too far. But he goes from being probably an auto-start at least while Reus is out to something less sure, not that I know what it is. Also, if they lose Dembele and PEA, it's going to be a lot of new, additional pressure on him. That could have happened anyway, I know. But that many departures, if they occur, just make things seem less hospitable for "our kid" than they were previously.

russ repped this.
  7. RidiculousLichaj

May 18, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wagner to Dortmund? Stranger things have happened.

8. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Welcome to life at the top

CP has got a lot going for him regardless of who comes in - he's BVB developed, so pure profit if/when he's sold, no incentive for the club to let him languish if the new manager doesn't like him. He's flexible enough to play in many styles/formations (Kagawa rots if the wrong manager comes in) and young people are adaptable.

9. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    I never heard about problems between Tuchel and the squad, but I've heard through German based pundits on SiriusXM FC that Tuchel and the Chairman had a strained relationship. Last time was when the bombing happened - apparently Chairman agreed to play the game and Tuchel wasn't consulted.

10. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Maybe it is just me, but I used the context of your whole sentence and that threw me off.

"Given that he wasn't one of the anti-Tuchel contingent based on what came out, he may find himself out of favor with the new guy."​

If I misunderstood, I apologize but I don't see how it could have meant anything else.

I think he's safe with Goetze and Reus out - not to mention Auba more than likely leaving. This will make CP one of them young veterans like Weigl. It could actually really cement his place in the team as a spearhead in the attack along with Kagawa and Dembele.

Winoman, russ and Midas Mulligan repped this.
  11. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    One thing I haven't seen mentioned here - beyond the general grumbling of the out of favor veterans, I've seen talk that a particular decision that irked them was leaving Sahin out of the DFB Pokal team in the final in favor of Ginter.

12. So Tuchel is gone. That's gonna be disaster for Puli, as Tuchel was an attacking minded coach and the one coming is a defensive thinking one. oh dear oh dear oh dear
    Just preposting YA standard posts when a coach of a Yank is replaced

Dirt McGirt repped this.
  13. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Tuchel's departure is solely because of major friction with the front office folk. Why, I don't know. Part of the problem seems to have been related to the club's decision to play the Champions League game immediately after the bombing, a decision made without consulting Tuchel (from FourFourTwo).

14. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Was Sahin fully fit? He was expected to start according to some pundits. I think at the last minute it was simply deemed he wasn't fit enough to start more so than just a snub by Tuchel.

15. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I'm sore Pulisic's performances this season speaks for itself. It helped that Tuchel believed in him enough to give him a chance, but he has shown what he can do. He'll win over the new manager. Maybe he's not starting XI material but he's def the first sub off the bench. His star will continue to rise, just perhaps a bit slower now.

orcrist repped this.
  16. Midas Mulligan

Midas Mulligan Member+

Jul 24, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This would be great. Dortmund to LFC to USMNT. Let's go ahead and line it up for ol' Dave.

Next issue, please. Wagner's career is now sorted.

KicksNgiggles repped this.
  17. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    That's what I was thinking.

If the new manager wants to upgrade on any of those players, that's a 25M player. Which is fat better spent on defensive reinforcement. I also think they should shift Weigl to 8, and get a 6 who is more physically imposing.

Cris 09 repped this.
  18. Midas Mulligan

Midas Mulligan Member+

Jul 24, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, you didn't misunderstand. That's what I said, it's just not what I meant. My meds and caffeine hadn't kicked in yet, and until you pointed it out, I totally forgot I had included that part.

I think I initially wanted to make two points: the one we've now thoroughly covered and another, separate one. The latter being that it will be interesting how CP reacts personally and professionally as he seemed to be one of the players with a very warm relationship with Tuchel.

Anyway, mea culpa. Half-assed post on my part.

Winoman, Eighteen Alpha and Cris 09 repped this.
  19. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    I've read that the Dortmund players where shocked he was left off the teamsheet, and they were voicing their support for him.

Cris 09 repped this.
  20. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    #8920 Cris 09, May 30, 2017
    Last edited: May 30, 2017
    Yup - defense is were I would throw money. Bring Schuerrle and Mor in as subs for Dembele and Pulisic as much as possible to get them into the mix as regular subs until Reus and Goezte are back. If we don't get a new striker, see if Schuerrle can play a false 9 role or play him between Dembele and CP in a 4-3-3.

I will miss Tuchel, but I will not miss the 4-1-4-1 or the 3-5-2 formations.

Interesting. I didn't see any of that but I also read very little leading up to the match. I just assumed the medical powers that be thought he wasn't match fit yet. Where were they voicing their support for him?

LOL. Yup. Been there done that. I get it...

Midas Mulligan repped this.
  21. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    His fascination with a 3-5-2 was bizarre to me. You use that formation when you think you have great Centerbacks, but your fullbacks aren't good enough. Dortmund barely had 2, let alone 3, class centerbacks for a side of their ambitions. But maybe he didn't like his Fullbacks enough trust them to be on an island.

Read it on ESPNFC.

http://www.espnfc.us/club/borussia-...th-dortmund-hierarchy-leads-to-premature-exit

The rift between coach and, at least, parts of the dressing room became evident once again in the aftermath of Saturday's DFB Pokal final defeat of Eintracht Frankfurt. Despite Julian Weigl's ankle injury, Nuri Sahin, one of the leaders in the side, was not named in the matchday squad; both club captains, Marcel Schmelzer and Marco Reus, called the midfielder's exclusion "a shock," adding they are fully behind their teammate.

Cris 09 repped this.
  22. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Interesting.

23. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My thoughts:

Sad to see Tuchel go. Made some weird ass tactical decisions during the season but got the squad to rebound after the attack, finish 3rd, automatic UCL qualification and win the Pokal. I still believe they beat Monaco if no attack happened.

In my reading of the situation a priority again for BVB, as it's always a priority, is finding a new manager who'll groom their youth as a focus. Playing youngsters like Pulisic is still going to be a priority.

Pulisic is solidified as a 1st team regular. I don't see that changing. Will have to win over the new manager if taking the next step to lock starter but that's the reality at this level.

100% he should not play in the Gold Cup and BVB's preseason just became much more important to Pulisic. Needs to rest up after these qualifiers and get a full camp with the new manager, likely a squad with a number of new players and a new system.

Gacm32 and madvillain repped this.
  24. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    An excerpt.

Open letter from Hans-Joachim Watzke to all BVB fans
    "The fact that Borussia Dortmund and Thomas Tuchel are nonetheless parting company has provoked criticism and a lack of understanding from some sections of our fan base. We, the people responsible for the board of management, the club committees and the KGaA, can understand this. With Thomas Tuchel at the helm, BVB enjoyed two successful years in which our sporting objectives were achieved. However, we – Sporting Director Michael Zorc and myself – also did not always see eye to eye with the coaching staff during this period of collaboration. When it comes to leadership responsibilities, it is not the result alone that matters – and in that respect, Borussia Dortmund is ultimately no different to any other sports club or business. What also matters are fundamental values such as trust, respect, the ability to communicate and work as a team, authenticity and identification. Qualities such as reliability and loyalty.

Unfortunately, we no longer believed the current coaching arrangement offered us a foundation for a successful future collaboration based on trust. That is why, following intensive talks and numerous discussions, we ultimately decided the best measure would be not to extend the cooperation with the coaching staff beyond the end of the 2016/17 season. This joint decision is unanimously supported by all committees within the club and the KGaA. I would like to ask you to understand that we cannot and will not provide any precise explanations either at this stage or in the future. The protection of trust has been a key component of the leadership culture in the more than a decade that I have been here.

For me, it is important to make it clear that this decision was not made on the basis of whether two people could enjoy a beer together or have a game of cards. If we were to trivialise matters in such a way, we would be irresponsible and poor decision-makers. I am also not of the opinion that leadership personnel at a club and a coach always need to be the best of friends. The very special relationship that we, particularly Michael Zorc and I, enjoyed with Jürgen Klopp was never the benchmark by which we judged our collaboration with Thomas Tuchel and it will never be the benchmark for any future BVB coaches."

http://www.bvb.de/eng/News/Overview/Open-letter-from-Hans-Joachim-Watzke-to-all-BVB-fans

bsky22, Gacm32, ebbro and 2 others repped this.
  25. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If it was because he was losing the locker like Mourinho at Chelsea or Ranieri at Leicester, they could have at least waited for it to play out more.

Same thing if it was due to lack of accountability/dissent surrounding the quarterfinal match w/ Monaco, because at the end of the day it's a results game.

His overall results were OK by BVB's standards and it was with a young squad which could pay dividends in subsequent seasons.

Either way, the sacking seems harsh.

Regardless of not playing Pulisic in many big games, from our standpoint I'd certainly prefer he stuck around because of the certainty of significant p.t., which would only project to increase as time went along. We don't have that comfort with his successor, who we are blind to at this point. Dortmund usually does have a pretty consistent philosophy in this regard of picking managers who aren't conservative when it comes to playing youth, because that's how BVB remains a relevant club on the European stage, but you don't know what is going to materialize until it does.