Christian Pulisic at AC Milan

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Balerion, Jun 30, 2014.

1. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They aren't playing a 3-4-3 with him as a wing forward.

They're playing a 3-4-2-1 with Pulisic tucked centrally, quite different than when he's been deployed as an out and out winger or RWB. He has more freedom now to either go wide or play inside.

Screen Shot 2017-03-17 at 3.36.11 PM.png

Gacm32, madvillain and chrome_vapors repped this.
  2. madvillain

madvillain Member+

Aug 28, 2011
    Club:
    Brooklyn Knights
    It's amazing that Dortmund continue to rate Pulisic higher than USMNT fans. The obviously trust him to play a dynamic role in their attack wherever that may be.

IMO, we'd be well served to do the same in the Hex.

Gacm32 and Midas Mulligan repped this.
  3. Midas Mulligan

Midas Mulligan Member+

Jul 24, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, Dortmund don't have a Feilhaber or Klejstan waiting in the wings. So they really can't appreciate what proven, experienced, true central atracking players should play like.

4. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Playing in the Bundesliga is a very different animal than playing in CONCACAF.

That the guy is ace is one does not mean he's going to be ace in the other. He still needs to find his "CONCACAF mode" for when he's on NT duty.

wsmaugham and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  5. madvillain

madvillain Member+

Aug 28, 2011
    Club:
    Brooklyn Knights
    Usually agree with your posts but not this one. There is no "CONCACAF" mode for a dude currently in the preferred 11 at a CL quarter finalist club. There is simply "skip around this dude because I'm better at soccer" mode.

He got slaughtered today by bigger and nastier brutes then he'll face in the Hex. He's fine. He's a big boy and he's very quick and skilled. They can't break him if they can't catch him.

Unleash him.

6. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Let me be blunt: we'll be playing Honduras with Guatemalan refs. He's 18.

I know, I shouldn't, but I am.

7. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're desperately trying to be the voice of reason, but instead you've achieved the exact opposite. lulz

I already refuted your simplistic way of thinking. They have just tried Pulisic as a central player. He didn't make his mark at Dortmund overall as a CAM rather a wide player, he's been erratic centrally with more bad than good at this point, and he's on the field all the same as a winger while actually maximizing his current strengths.

8. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I was talking about the Benfica game.

9. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    USMNT discussion is in a different thread. I am not getting sucked into that here.

The analysis you offer for his BVB performances is simply wrong. For starters what got him a look at BVB was his domination at their youth level, not his "wing" play. He played wide attacker because that got him on the field. In a development minded team like BVB they kind of like to find "ways" of getting promising young talent on the field and a wide attacker accomplished that.

Some of his poorer performances have been as a wingback for BVB, not centrally as you suggest. His performance today was not "brutal" as you say, his touches were limited because the midfield was missing Julien Weigl, possibly one of the most underrated midfielders in the world. Wiegl is at worst co-MVP with Burki. I think the absence of Weigl messes up the positioning for the rest of the attackers.

He was not especially sharp today, but he did not have a lot of touches. He did a get an effort on frame. He was wide open, and not seen a couple of times. He was indecisive once at the top of the box and got muscled off the ball a couple of times and that was about it. It is worth noting that all of BVB's midfield got muscled off the ball more than once.

I could be reading it wrong I suppose, but mostly I have been reading what Dortmund is doing with him, and it is clear to me that they do not share your opinion. It could be they don't have underlying National team motives shaping their opinions.

KenC, Namdynamo, wixson7 and 2 others repped this.
  10. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    agreed. some players will give 80-100% for their club week in/week out and then give less than 50% for the NT. Some of course come down to being played out of position, playing with inferior players compared to their club, fatigue from travel or perhaps just apathy.

11. Cubanlix63

Cubanlix63 Member+

AFC Ajax
    Feb 19, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Once again I think the whole #10 argument is overstated. All you need to do with Pulisic is to start him, make sure he is high up the pitch but; not as a striker and make sure his teammates get him the ball. You can play the main playmaker out wide see David Silva, Christian Eriksen, Juan Mata, etc.

wixson7, madvillain and schrutebuck repped this.
  12. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    Honduras and Panama aren't Guatemala and El Salvador. Go back and watch the last two U-20 games. There were 5 fouls that would have gotten red cards in Europe and I don't think all of them even resulted in yellows. Adjusting to the level of violence allowed and the arbitrary decisions (that somehow usually seem to benefit the home team) is a mental challenge. Generally the refs are fair enough for US home games but things get weird away.

Winoman repped this.
  13. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    I would have given them more of the ball, much more and let team speed on the counter win a 2 goal lead then close up shop and save the players. Ingo is a very physical and disciplined team, I agree and they expect Dortmund to attack...exactly why I wouldn't.

15. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BVB now only 3 points back of Leipzig for 2nd after Werder thrashed them 3-0 today.

wixson7 repped this.
  16. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    It's mid-march and Bayern only have 13 (come on, we know they'll win tomorrow) points advantage over the #2. They're letting up a bit.

17. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dortmund have a busy April

Away against Schalke for the Revierderby
    Home vs Hamburg
    Away vs Bayern
    Home vs Monaco (CL)
    Home vs Frankfurt
    Away vs Monaco (CL)
    Away vs Monchengladbach
    Away vs Bayerns (Pokal)
    Home vs Cologne

Winoman and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  18. Crocajun1003

Crocajun1003 Member

Aug 26, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How do you pronounce Revierderby?

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  19. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    reh-veer-dah-bee (approx)

20. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #7720 jond, Mar 19, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2017

ebbro, Winoman, Deeneaus and 5 others repped this.
  21. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    ah good times. lucky Pulisic

22. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    PUMA must be thrilled...:D

Winoman repped this.
  23. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lots of French ballers on that list. They have quite a wave of talent coming thru.

Gacm32 repped this.
  24. Gacm32

Gacm32 Member+

Chelsea
    Switzerland
    Nov 28, 2010
    Geneva
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    He still didn't play in a 3-4-3 lol he actually played as a second striker in the Benfica game, almost in a 3-1-4-2, that morphed into a 3-4-2-1. Come on man, you're not fooling anyone.