Review: Chris Wondolowski in 2019

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by xbhaskarx, Mar 31, 2019.

1. Seismothusiast

Seismothusiast Member+

Jul 14, 2006
    Modesto
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Fair enough, but at this point he has the players he has. We do not have the depth of Chivas or River Plate. One of those two could play in a more withdrawn role. I'm fine with sitting Vako, Magnus (who was alright on Sat), or both.

Sactown Soccer repped this.
  2. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    You forgot the "like it or not." :)

markmcf8 and Seismothusiast repped this.
  3. due time

due time Member+

Mar 1, 1999
    Santa Clara
    I really like it where Danny had a successful pass to himself over there on the left touch line. Let's see Wondo pull that one off!

yeah, yeah, I know that's just a coincidence. But it put a kink in my mental process for a second there. I've looked at a lot of opta stat charts and never seen that.

4. due time

due time Member+

Mar 1, 1999
    Santa Clara
    I don't think anyone on BS mentioned it, but my son said he saw on Reddit some discussion after the LAFC game that Wondo was tearing up afterwards. It could be he was just emotional from the embarrassing loss. But it did make me wonder if he didn't think to himself - "I'm part of the problem here". Maybe he decided to take himself out of the Portland starting line-up? Just spitballing here.

5. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I didn't notice that, but I did notice he was extremely animated and celebratory to the players during half-time. He went around and was pumping the guys up and that kind of thing, and was pretty jovial. That's a good thing, in that he didn't seem the least bit resentful to not be out there. That's pretty much what one would expect, given the way he's always talked about the team to the media moreso than himself.

To your point, I think he would have some pretty big issues with self-awareness if he didn't at least consider whether or not him playing so much was best for the team. I don't think anyone, especially athletes, wants to face the time when they just aren't up to the task. Giving that up can't be easy. However, given how long he's been in the league now, I'm sure he's aware of his limitations.

Ultimately it's still up to Almeyda who plays and who doesn't. I would have to assume he and Almeyda have discussed what his role would be this year and that kind of thing. Harder for me to believe Wondolowski would flat out say, don't put me in to start the game.

markmcf8 and Sactown Soccer repped this.
  6. nivla

nivla Member+

Jan 17, 2003
    Milpitas
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Hoesen is the more viable forward option and should start, but when he is injured, we still only have Wondo to fall back on. I don't think Vako or Magnus is suitable to be the point of attack.

7. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
    No… there is another **

** currently not eligible to play but should be available this summer upon completion of his academy training.

markmcf8, Boysinblue and Sactown Soccer repped this.
  8. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah...I am not sure we should pin our current hopes on a 15 year old.

9. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
    Pin our hopes on? We were talking about having an option if Hoesen and Wondo are unavailable.

EDIT: Hoesen ‘or’ Wondo are unavailable as a sub is more what I was thinking.

markmcf8 repped this.
  10. asdf2

asdf2 Member+

Oct 11, 2004
    San Francisco
    Agreed.

Agreed. The changes in aggregate made us a lot better. Godoy had a truly excellent match. We were more athletic and the man marking system works better if you have a faster team than your opponent. And Portland was unimpressive on the day.

That said, Hoesen for Wondo was visible improvement in terms of mobility and hold up play needed from a target forward.

All this is true. Personally I have felt for the past year that Wondo can still be a valuable player as a late supersub/goal poacher when you need a goal and can add in a second forward.

don gagliardi repped this.
  11. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  12. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  13. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Whether Wondo breaks the goal scoring record or not, he's still the greatest MLS player of all time. If he breaks the record, someone will eventually take it from him. No one will ever approximate his greatness, however.

markmcf8, bsman, nivla and 2 others repped this.
  14. jetdog9

jetdog9 Member+

Nov 14, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Wondo and Hoesen have looked got working with each other the limited times they've been on the pitch together this season. But the Quakes just don't seem to do the 2-striker thing anymore.

Hoesen is the future, even the here and now, and probably should start if only one of them can go. He also might have had a little delay in getting his season started because of the green card stuff. Even so, you see some of the concerns about him in the 3-0 win. The goal that he did score is one Wondo would have finished as well... clean up at the back post. Hoesen did get a bunch of breakaways and looks on goal that Wondo may not have due to speed and 1-on-1 abilities, but he converted 0 of them. 0.

Espinoza mentioned in his interview that they had not gotten Wondo the ball enough in the first few games... basically Hoesen benefited from better/more balls into the box against Portland. And Vako was not on the field to serve as a black hole.

Maybe the double digits streak finally ends this year, but the record will come sooner than later and there aren't going to be many games where Wondo gets 0 minutes at least in the first half of the season.

15. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LOL. He is not even the greatest Quake MLS player of all time. DeRo and Donovan actually led this team to titles...

16. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Wondo never bailed on his team or aped signing a check while on the field.

markmcf8, bsman, SeaJayBee and 1 other person repped this.
  17. DotMPP

DotMPP 'Quakes fan in Stumptown

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sometimes it seems the only thing more head scratching than assessing character in a player is the apparent lack of even considering character when assessing a player's worth to a team.

18. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Given how different the team was without him on the field, I lean towards that record barely being broken, unless he happens to get a lot of penalty opportunities. I hope he breaks the record, but I really can't argue in favor of giving him the minutes required to actually break it. If I'm in Almeyda's shoes, I'm giving Wondolowski probably ten or fifteen minutes in most games, then reassess again whether or not he deserves to keep getting those minutes.

19. NedZ

NedZ Member+

May 19, 2001
    Los Gatos
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Almeyda's system (at least so far) has been very demanding on the outside backs and midfielders and thus those positions have needed substitutions. That makes it more difficult to use up a sub slot just to give Wondo some extra minutes.

20. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I agree. Wondo has been benched and through this type of slump before and he seemed to always bounce back. He was a lot younger then though and 36 years old for most forwards is just too old and it’s even older to be playing in Almeyda's system.

21. asdf2

asdf2 Member+

Oct 11, 2004
    San Francisco
    Good point but he did sub in Vako for Erickson centrally with 15 mins left.

22. jetdog9

jetdog9 Member+

Nov 14, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well after today he gets a passing grade for the season and there are still 22 games to go...

TyffaneeSue and don gagliardi repped this.
  23. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Maybe Wondo has broken out of his slump?

Let's just hope this 4 goal outburst against Chicago continues the rest of the season! :thumbsup:

24. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes

MtnGardener, DotMPP, falvo and 4 others repped this.
  25. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    He certainly proved me wrong! Good job Wondo! :thumbsup:

NedZ and Sactown Soccer repped this.