Chris Roner is gone.

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Alexi, Mar 1, 2005.

1. BlueMeanie

BlueMeanie New Member

Apr 1, 2002
    EastSIIIIDE
    Other than Roner's HUGE goal against the Gals in that playoff, I have one other fond memory, which illustrated an aspect of Chris' potential. I'm pretty sure it was during the 2003 season. The Quakes were playing a scrimmage against the USMNT at Maloney Field at Stanford. At one point, Roner jumped so far over Joe Cannon (who was on the USMNT for their game that weekend v. Wales) to head one in, it wasn't even funny. I'm talking WAY over Joe, who also was jumping for the high cross.

2. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am bummed. We needed his mobility and speed on defense. He's great on set pieces too. I also hope that he recovers sufficiently this year that he can try again next year. In any case, good luck to Chris!

GO QUAKES!!

- Mark

3. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is a very unfortunate, sad example of what happens when an athlete tries to play through an injury. I'm not criticizing Chris, if I were in his shoes, I would have probably been doing the same thing, but I was looking forward to seeing that potential blossom. I hope something good can come out of this.
    W

4. Roblar

Roblar Member

Sep 15, 2000
    The 73072
    I'd like to fall in with all the others who are wishing him well and remembering the best. I too had high hopes for him this year. He may be gone, but I hope he will be able to return! If he doesn't, then I just wish him the best from here on out.

5. clashcityrocker

Mar 12, 1999
    In the shadow of RFK
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    So why the hell couldn't our mascot Cyberdog (or whatever his name was) donate one of his bionic legs to Roner?

6. billward

billward Member

Oct 22, 2002
    El Cerrito, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From the latest Mercury News article (too lazy to link here) it sounds like he may be on IR again, instead of cut from the team.

7. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Does that really make much difference? The end result for the Quakes is the same: He will be unavailable this year...

8. billward

billward Member

Oct 22, 2002
    El Cerrito, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It makes a difference if you're hoping he manages to make a comeback (eventually).

9. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True. Here's the quote from the Merc article by Dylan Hernandez (the link is on the boards in another thread):
    "Defender Chris Roner will miss a second consecutive season, still recovering from surgery on his right ankle more than a year ago."

That's not the same as saying he was let go, but he's not with us, either.

10. Alexi

Alexi Member

Feb 26, 1999
    San Francisco
    Mods, can you please add "for the season" to the title of this thread?

11. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A while back it was reported that his option was not renewed after last year, and he was invited to camp to get a chance to earn his way back onto the team. So if that's true, they didn't have to waive him or put him on IR or anything--he just wasn't offered a contract.

12. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
  13. SJtotalfootball

May 26, 2004
    The Hayward Fault
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SAN JOSE (Friday, March 4, 2005) - The San Jose Earthquakes announced today that midfielder/defender Chris Ronér has stepped away from his professional soccer career, ending his current attempt to rejoin the team in the preseason following major surgery on his ankle in 2004....

14. Hawkeye17

Hawkeye17 DynaChick v QuakeBabe v WildKate v Chewie23

Aug 25, 1999
    Miami Vice 82
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The euphemism is that he's "retired" in quotes... he could try out again next year, or officially call it a playing career... just have to hope he gets well soon and return as a non-roster invitee...

This is key from the release:
    Because the Earthquakes have not exercised their option on Ronér for the 2005 season, he will not count against their roster and will not have to be put on the season-ending injury list again. The Quakes will, however, retain Ronér's MLS rights.

And, his "leaving" in quotes will free up a roster spot, and again, if he returns it will be here again. Cheers!