News: Chris Rolfe to Aalborg

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by schrutebuck, Sep 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Otergod

Otergod Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    indianapolis
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Under-utilized, but quite effective. Sadly under Hamlett, Rolfe would have succeeded as a striker, but DH simply felt he be used as a winger. Of course now at the intl' level, perhaps winger will be his best option. With the USMN, i could see him do well as a striker, or perhaps a wide striker in JK's "4-3-3"

2. dabes2

dabes2 Member

Jun 1, 2003
    Chicago
    Rolfe could play as a withdrawn striker, running off Altidore. But honestly, I think if Klinsmann wants to use someone in that capacity, its probably going to be Donovan.

Nonetheless, Rolfe is a very good possession passer and can strike very well from distance. So I could see him being very useful during WC qualification when we are playing teams that like to pack it in.

3. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    Still think that we could try

----------------Jozy
    ---------------Rolfe
    --Shea-----------------------Dono
    -----------Demps

4. ForZaAaB

ForZaAaB Member

Mar 24, 2009
    Club:
    Aalborg BK
  5. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. ForZaAaB

ForZaAaB Member

Mar 24, 2009
    Club:
    Aalborg BK
    Leave it to the AaB supporters...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BH9RyhtSjg0"]Highlights from AaB at FCM[/ame]

7. YeOldeCoach

YeOldeCoach Member

Mar 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Are you sure this is the correct highlight stream? Thanks.

8. A_Strandfelt

A_Strandfelt New Member

Aug 13, 2011
    Aalborg, Denmark
    Club:
    Aalborg BK
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    I can confirm that it is the right highlight stream. :)

9. YeOldeCoach

YeOldeCoach Member

Mar 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Thanks. For some reason when I tried to look at it yesterday, I was getting the Dennis Marshall's tribute game. I'll try it again.

10. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rolfe went the distance at right midfield as Aalborg lost on the road to Silkeborg 4-2. Rolfe had one shot on goal which came in the same minute as the 2nd Aalborg goal suggesting that it might have been scored off a rebound from Rolfe's shot.

11. A_Strandfelt

A_Strandfelt New Member

Aug 13, 2011
    Aalborg, Denmark
    Club:
    Aalborg BK
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    You're right. Kayke scored off a rebound from a shot by Rolfe.

I my eyes, Rolfe played a good first half today, but a terrible second half (as pretty much the rest of the team). There were a lot of misplaced passes from Rolfe and his team mates.

12. cd715

cd715 Red Card

Aug 22, 2009
    What's Rolfe's contract status? As a National Team fan, I'd really like to see Rolfe get a look. Klinsmann obviously doesn't rate this league.

Is he good enough to move into a top 5 league? I'm guessing that he doesn't stand out enough to warrant a move, and I know that these guys make decisions based on what's best for themselves and their families, not just the national team, but I'd like to see him move.

13. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

That can't be it, he calls Goodson and Parkhurst. Besides, the Danish league is stronger than MLS, stronger than Scotland's.

14. Garby80

Garby80 New Member

Jul 7, 2007
    Copenhagen
    Club:
    FC København
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    The difference between a Danish team and a team in the bottom in Germany, Spain or Italy arent that big and i think he could get a contract there, but in my eyes he is more suited for a club in Holland, Belgium or Switzerland.

15. YeOldeCoach

YeOldeCoach Member

Mar 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I think Rolfe's contract expires at the end of this year.

16. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. ForZaAaB

ForZaAaB Member

Mar 24, 2009
    Club:
    Aalborg BK
    To be honest, I can't really see why Brøndby would want to add Rolfe, they have potent strikers and RW´s. However, he would be relatively cheap to get - as AaB are in trouble financially...

18. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    ??... In my opinion, Brøndby have they poorest strikers in the Superliga... Their only experienced striker Martin Bernburg (4 goals in 40 league games for Brøndby the past 3 seasons) is always injured or is not really match fit, because of his injuries...

So they have even been fielding the young inexperienced defender Dario Dumić as striker in lack of better options... and their first choice striker has of lately been midfielder Mikkel Thygesen, also in lack of real strikers.... Thygesen is no doubt an excellent attacking midfielder, but he is no real striker.

19. ForZaAaB

ForZaAaB Member

Mar 24, 2009
    Club:
    Aalborg BK
    Gerht and Agger are good strikers IMO (experience isn't everything) and the reason for bringing Thygesen forward was the arrival of Rommedahl...

20. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Thygesen is not a striker, so whatever the reason, it's a bad one.

21. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    Rolfe is not moving to Brøndby... they have just signed Simon Makienok from HB Køge, and their director of sport said, that this will be their only signing in this winter transfer window.

22. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
    Rolfe started at right mid for Aalborg in their latest pre-season loss against Djugardens. The season resumes next Sunday against Copenhagen. Rolfe's contract expires in December 2012, so you would think he either signs an extension this summer, or Aalborg lets him go on a free transfer. Given how much MLS has improved in the last few years, I wouldn't mind seeing Rolfe back in Chicago (or elsewhere). Otherwise, I could see him latch on at a mid-table Holland side perhaps.

http://fodbold.aabsport.dk/nyheder/2012/02/dyrebare-fejl-i-generalproeve.aspx

http://fodbold.aabsport.dk/nyheder/2012/02/aab's-startopstilling-mod-djurgaardens-if.aspx

23. Otergod

Otergod Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    indianapolis
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    as a free agent, i would imagine Rolfe will have suitors.

I would love to see him back in Chicago.

24. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Postcard from Europe: Rolfe focused as free agency looms
    All of that will be figured out in the next few months," said Rolfe. "I've got interest from clubs here in Denmark, including Aalborg. Once the summer hits, hopefully there will be some other interest."

25. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    AaB Aalborg have really been bleeding money, or perhaps the word 'hemorrhaging' would be a stronger and better word to use, so it could very much be, that they cant afford to keep Chris Rolfe, simply because they have to make further budget cuts in the summer and rely more on their own youth players next season... or in other words, I believe the AaB management are thinking more about damage control at the moment, and less about how they are actually doing in the Superliga. They are just happy not to be in any real danger of relegation I think.