Chris Richards at Crystal Palace

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by TheFalseNine, Jul 3, 2018.

1. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Part 2:

https://www.bavarianfootballworks.c...exans-da-development-academy-christian-cappis

"That was crazy for someone to call you and say, “I want your son to come play for me, and I want you to drive him 12 hours to a city you’ve never been to to live with people you’ve never met and to trust me to do right by your son, and that everything was going to be fine.” We met Eric [Quill] and the host family [Michelle and Sean Easton], and we had to put a lot faith that we were making the right decision — and it was one of the best decisions that we ever made."

Tom Collingsworth and TxEx repped this.
  2. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Profile:

https://www.cbssports.com/soccer/ne...coming-an-household-name-for-american-soccer/

Richards finds himself inside state-of-the-art facilities in Munich. The club is one of the most prestigious in the world and known for developing plenty of young talent. Going from a state where soccer was always on the back burner to a historically rich organization in Germany has been quite the change -- one Richards still can't quite believe.

"The journey has been surreal," Richards told CBS Sports. "The past two to three years, it's been life changing. Going from pretty much a nobody in Alabama to being bought by one of the biggest clubs in the world.

"The past few months have just been really hectic, but it's been really great for me as a person and a player."

"I am a young kid, and I still have some experience to get under my belt. But every time I go out to play for Bayern, I always remember that I have the responsibility of being an American on my back the whole time," Richards said.

3. shnaggletooth

shnaggletooth Member+

Jun 23, 2002
    What's going on with him? Is he playing with Bayern's reserves?

4. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Started and went 90 in Bayern’s u19 game sat vs Nurnberg. They won 2-1.

5. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Game ended 4-4. I can’t find any details about how he played but I wouldn’t think giving up 4 goals would be a good sign that the CBs were on top of their game.

UniversalAdvice repped this.
  7. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  8. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Supporting Chris Gloster at Hannover

Dirt McGirt, Winoman and USSoccerNova repped this.
  9. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Started & went 90 in 3-1 U19s win:

Aufstellung FCB-U19: Kainz - Johansson (86. Rausch), Stanisic, Richards, Lungwitz – Stiller – Andersson (34. Batista Meier), Booth, Rhein, Günther (86. Karatas) – Zylla (76. Halbich)

Tore: 0:1 Zylla (6.), 1:1 Cetin (30.), 1:2 Zylla (76.), 1:3 Lungwitz (86.)

Tom Collingsworth and Winoman repped this.
  10. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1126525410576089089 is not a valid tweet id

11. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The second team clinched a playoff spot for promotion. If the can gain promotion to 3. Liga it will be huge in keeping academy players and funneling players up to the first team.

12. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interview:

https://www.socceramerica.com/publi...nder-chris-richards-bayern-munich-experi.html

"We know France is going to be a really good team but we're really excited and we feel we can beat any team that is left here in the tournament,” Richards told Soccer America from Poland. “Pretty much every time we play together, we always end up getting better and better. We know the Qatar game wasn't our best game. We took a lot of positives from it. Even though it wasn't our best we came away with the result. We need to play better and we expect better out of ourselves next game against France.”

13. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For y’all who haven’t been watching the U20s...he makes big plays, which is great. But his consistency and focus are both outstanding. That’s great for such a young defender. A lot of kids have the inherent talent to be quality CBs but lack the mentality, and that’s hard to develop or teach. He already has it.

14. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Expect he’ll be out on loan this season to a BL1 team after this tournament. Very comfortable with the ball too.

15. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Richards has been outstanding for the US. He looks like a seasoned pro out there. I haven't quite put my finger on who reminds me of. He has a little Eddie Pope in him. He has a little Carlos Bocanegra in him. He's unique and his future is so bright. I hope he gets first team minutes, on loan, this season. I'd a promotion hopeful 2nd BL club take him someone like Hannover, Stuttgart, Nunberg, Hamburg, or a Holstein Kiel.

16. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That’s the comparison I made this morning...a (albeit younger and not final version) taller Eddie Pope with more comfort going forward on the dribble.

For me Pope is the best we have had...so that is a s high as I can praise...I do wish CR were a bigger threat on set pieces...he seems to win everything in the air during open play, can he score on corners?

Winoman repped this.
  17. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pope is the best. Hands down. Never looked panicked. Never looked rattled. Never was rash. Never let the moment eat him. Very rarely did he ever resort to emergency defending. He was silky smooth. He defended with what seemed like ease. He was ALWAYS in position. His IQ was off the charts and his passing was undervalued. I see the same attributes in Richards. He has that whole, my play is louder than my voice, vibe going on. That's not to say Richards isn't vocal, he just let's his play be the commanding presence.

Tom Collingsworth and Winoman repped this.
  18. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

19. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    we will see

20. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    This new doesn't give me the warm fuzzies.

The next "promotion" from Bayern II is usually to the Wormatia Worms or somewhere thereabouts. If you're a talent you go from the U19's to the 1st team.

21. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FCB II were promoted to 3Liga - a step up from the regionalliga - so if he has to cut his teeth there until the winter break, that's not such a bad thing. I would love to see Richards latch onto a 2BL club, on loan, at some point his season.

Dr.Phil repped this.
  22. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's also only been there a handful of months and a signed a, what, 4 year contract a few months after arriving. It's gon' be alright

adam tash repped this.
  23. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's been arguably the best player for the US U20s...doesn't really matter what Bayern thinks of him at this point....sure, if they keep him down for an extended time without bringing him up ..it will reach a crisis point...but we are far from that deadline as of now.....CBs take more time to mature anyway.....

24. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One of the reasons for his good play his he's been getting consistent minutes. Getting promoted after the team earned promotion is good.

Winoman and adam tash repped this.