Chris Richards at Crystal Palace

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by TheFalseNine, Jul 3, 2018.

1. EricSunRa

EricSunRa Member

FC Dallas
    United States
    Sep 29, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I'm not sure, but I think he played LCB in a 4-1-4-1. Meier plays left wing, but might have dropped to left back for this game. Whereas in the graphic you mention, Meier is at CB.

Bayern's website has the following lineup:

2. DC_Dave

DC_Dave Member+

DC United
    United States
    May 16, 2017
    Chris started for Bayern U19 and played all 90 minutes in Bayern's 1 - 0 home win over Nurnberg U19 in A Junior Bundesliga Sud/Sudwest

3. punintended_13

punintended_13 Member+

Atlanta United
    Mar 22, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Would be interested to see how much he's progressed in the last few months. Have to think being there is doing some insane stuff for his development. Even if he doesn't stay at Bayern, he could come back to FCD next season and immediately be a starter if he keeps getting these valuable experiences.

4. DC_Dave

DC_Dave Member+

DC United
    United States
    May 16, 2017
    #204 DC_Dave, Sep 29, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2018
    Chris started today, went 90 and was joined by Justin Butler (off the bench at 67 minutes) as Bayern U19 traveled to Stuttgart and won 0 - 2 in A-Junioren Bundesliga Süd/Südwest

5. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. Thundering165

Thundering165 Member+

North Carolina FC
    United States
    May 1, 2017
    Raleigh
    Highlights:

bsky22 and Winoman repped this.
  7. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The kid doesn't look like he is ready for the next level :-(

8. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What’s the next level?

9. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Starting mls

SCSAutism repped this.
  10. ShaftBrewer

ShaftBrewer Member+

Jul 18, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've watched the first 30 minutes and he's been very good, quick and alert defending and nice passing and combination play. Will upload all touch soon.

11. zlebmada

zlebmada Member

United States
    Jan 16, 2018
    Didn't see that @ShaftBrewer was working on an all-touch until just now and I made this. Not an all-touch but all the major plus or minus moments. He played pretty well, but had two bad moments in the second half -- dispossessed by Dest after taking a very clumsy touch, and then lost Brobbey, the Ajax striker, on a cross from the wing. Brobbey got a free header and hit it right at the keeper. Could have been the middle CB's responsibility but there was no communication. And then Richards was involved in the scramble that led to the Ajax equalizer in the 90th. Would be harsh to fault him for the goal, but he couldn't get his foot through it.

Overall, he looks mobile, decisive and smart to me. Also the level of UEFA Youth League is impressive. Entertaining game -- fast, technical, physical. Bayern was the better side but couldn't finish their chances. Should have been 4-1 or 4-2 going into the last 10 minutes.

https://streamable.com/8jyw4

12. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right now, I think McKenzie(19) is more polished than Richards(18) and is playing one/two level higher than Richards.

13. ShaftBrewer

ShaftBrewer Member+

Jul 18, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Training with the first team:

1050015449155596288 is not a valid tweet id

14. EricSunRa

EricSunRa Member

FC Dallas
    United States
    Sep 29, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    FC Dallas
  15. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
    Based on this, he should be called up to Nats for England and Italy friendlies, if only to get his feet wet on the bench.

bsky22 repped this.
  16. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    lol no he should not.

17. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First, no.

Second, have you considered that he's going to be playing for the U-20 team at World Cup qualifying next month?

18. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
    Didn't realize about u-20 qualifying, that would take precedence. But for that, I would want him with the first team Nats. Blood them early.

19. EricSunRa

EricSunRa Member

FC Dallas
    United States
    Sep 29, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    A center back without a single minute of professional soccer? Even I, with my homer glasses, can't see the logic in that.

frankburgers repped this.
  20. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's one thing for a guy like Sargent who has a long history of U.S. youth national teams and plays a position of need.

But central defense? The U.S. team isn't desperate in central defense and playing a guy without a minute of pro experience in central defense is the mark of a desperate team.

How can you say that Richards should be above:

1) Brooks
    2) Miazga
    3) CCV
    4) Long
    5) Parker
    6) Zimmerman
    7) Trusty
    8) Glad
    9) Hines-Ike

Right now Richards is the starting central defender alongside Mark McKenzie (who is probably the U-20 captain).

Winoman repped this.
  21. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The kid is not ready for getting Bloodied. He is still a bit raw.

22. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    [​IMG]

23. justinpaul10

justinpaul10 Member+

Sep 2, 2013
    That is a hell of an athletic defense from a u-20 perspective.

24. DC_Dave

DC_Dave Member+

DC United
    United States
    May 16, 2017
    Started, went 90, in Bayern München U19, 1 - 1 draw with Stuttgarter Kickers U19

Justin Butler remained on the bench for Bayern

25. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    #225 bsky22, Oct 21, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2018
    We really need to get rid of all these rules that limit our pool. There shouldnt be a "Sargent exception". We have seen over the last four years that players who havent put together solid professional careers can help our national team. Gyau looked promising before injury, Wood, Morris, Sargent, Weah.

It isnt about being desperate, but not being complacent. Many are complaining that Brooks and Miazga cant play together because they lack mobility and I dont see much of it on your depth chart. I'd think a coach would want at least one CD with quickness, agility, etc. I'd want our coach to be actively seeking that kind of player. So even if a guy isnt in the top 10 of your depth chart, he might be worth bringing in and seeing how he stacks up and compliments the other players.

I think Alvarado is easily in the top 10 of central defenders and provides a different skill set. I'd consider VA and EPB as a fifth CB for camp and would also consider Richards if he wasnt going to be with the u20s. There are many other examples of players worth bringing in to get a first hand look and give them a feel for the level.

If there is a player that deserves an exception (if one was needed) it is Hyndman though id call him in because i think he is more talented than many who we have been seeing in central midfield. Another player who might be worth seeing alongside Pulisic, Amon and Weah would be Akale. None of them have to play and not sure anyone suggested that. It is all about keeping tabs on players that could go from not meeting some arbitrary criteria to being an obvious member of the team. The last two years has been mostly focused on MLS players. This upcoming camp would be a reasonable time to give a lot of Euro guys a shot given some MLS guys will still be in the playoffs and rest will just have had their season end.