Chris Isaak

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by krolpolski, Sep 12, 2002.

1. krolpolski

krolpolski Member+

I was watching the Concert for America last night and was pleasantly surprised by Chris Isaak's performance.

Having only heard one of his songs previously I was wondering what his style of music is and if anyone here knew on which album the song he performed last night is.

2. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't believe I beat Ted to answering this thread.

Let me savor the moment.

3. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah, that was good.

You could say that he's derivatively original, or that he's originally derivative, but this is one of my favorite acts you're talking about here. As far as style of music, it's kind of hard to ignore the Orbisonisms in his voice (listen to the first track on his new album, 'One Day', and you'll think he's channeling the spirit of Roy), but all in all he kind of treads a line between '50s roots-rock pastiche, old country (Marty Robbins, etc.), and others. It's tempting to say he's completely unoriginal, but I can't think of anyone else who sounds just like him.

Chris Isaak has been around for quite a while - his first album (when his act was known as Chris Isaak and Silvertone if I recall) came out around 1986 or so. 'Wicked Game', off his third album, is the song (and video) that everyone remembers him for, but the 2 albums before that are both good, with a bunch of essential tracks to pick from if you were to make a Best Of CD. He didn't get the big follow-up-to-Wicked-Game hit out of 'San Francisco Days', and kept making a string of decently-received, decent-selling albums through the 90s; 'Forever Blue' is probably the best of the lot - virtually every song Isaak has ever made involves being blue, cryin', or some other form of torturous, pained heartbreak, but FB has a little something extra - a little bit of anger, a little bit of bitterness.

Never seen him live, but I've heard his shows are a blast; I used to have a bootleg of a show in Dusseldorf (!) from the early 90s and it was pretty electric.

He also gives some of the funniest interviews in music, I think. Surprising to see him doing beer ads lately, because as far as I knew, he was teetotal.

Off the top of my head, I'd download the following tracks and burn em for an idea of Isaak's music.

Blue Hotel
    Two Hearts
    Wicked Game
    You Took My Heart
    Dark Moon (off the 'A Perfect World' soundtrack)
    Somebody's Cryin'
    Western Stars
    Walk Slow
    I Believe
    Somebody To Love
    Cool Love
    Waiting For The Rain To Fall

I could pick another dozen pretty easily. There's a lot to choose from. No idea what song he played at the concert last night though - didn't see it.

4. Ted Cikowski

Ted Cikowski Red Card

May 31, 2000
    yeah I am a huge Isaak fan.

And yes he is derivitive in ways to Orbison. Especially seeing him live, he sounds EXACTLY like Roy.

But where Isaak differs is that he isn't afraid to venture into new terrortories and he really isn't a Rockabilly singer anymore. Plus he uses digital technology now, which didn't exist of course in the Sun records days.

His best albums?

Forever Blue is a masterpiece and one of the best albums ever recorded in my opinion.

I'd say get any of his last 4 albums. San Francisco days was really good, the newest one is really good, Speak of the Devil was decent. The Baja sessions was kind of weak but it wasn't a proiper album.

And as noted, he has his own TV show on the Showtime channel and it's actually pretty good.

Chris Isaak also appeared as an actor in Twin Peaks, Little Buddha, That thing you do, an episode of 'Friends' and several other movies.

Krolpolski, get to your local Virgin (or go to grammaphone in CHicago) and get Forever Blue.

5. Ted Cikowski

Ted Cikowski Red Card

May 31, 2000
    Marty Robbins was awesome.

as you probably know, this was written after a serious breakup with his manager/girlfriend. this was a personal cd, and there is evena letter to her in the CD case.

I've seen him. For sme reason his shows are really expensive. Anyway he is great live and after the shows he talks to the fans, he actually comes into the crowd and hangs out with people. He must have signed 500 autographs and shook 500 hands but he was very pleasant and nice thru the whole thing.

he's also funny in concert.

you left off most of my favorites. But here's my picks:

Go Walking Down There
    Somebody's Crying
    Walk Slow
    This Time
    Fade Away
    Can't do a thing to stop me

and others I can't think of without being near my cd collection.

6. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would concur that Forever Blue is Isaak's masterpiece, followed by San Francisco Days. I too used to think that Baja Sessions was weak, but is the one I always listen to now, maybe just because its been too long since I've been to the ocean.

7. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My favorite tunes would include:

Forever Blue
    Sweet Leilani
    Go Walking Down There
    Goin' Nowhere
    One Day
    American Boy
    Wicked Game
    Blue Spanish Sky
    Two Hearts
    Solitary Man
    Can't Do a Thing
    Please
    Like the Way She Moves Me
    Super Magic 2000

I saw him in concert once at a festival. He must've been having a rough day because he was ripping on the crowd the whole time. I give him the benefit of the doubt though on being a nice guy because that's all I've ever heard about him.

8. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For curiosity's sake, you should also download his collaboration with Metallica on an acoustic version of 'Nothing Else Matters', from a radio show in the early '90s. It's pretty easy to find online.

No, I am not joking.

There's also a song called 'Winter Waves', off a Music for our Mother Ocean compilation, which I really like.

I liked the new album as soon as I got past the thought that 'Let me down easy' was really a Sugar Ray track in disguise.

Don't know how I forgot 'Solitary Man', now that you mention it. Another one of my favorites, and much better than the Neil Diamond original, I think.

9. krolpolski

krolpolski Member+

I believe this was the song he sang last night and he killed.

Which album might this be on? And thanks for the comments.

10. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's off his latest album, 'Always Got Tonight' - if you've got Showtime, you'll also see it's the theme song to his show.

11. Ted Cikowski

Ted Cikowski Red Card

May 31, 2000
    actually have you guys heard the full theme to the Craig Kilborn show? It's actually a great song (late late show has started). It's not on CD anywhere is it? I'd say it's on my top 10 Isaak list.

12. krolpolski

krolpolski Member+

And guys, what's your opinion of this album, compared to Forever Blue, for example?

13. Ted Cikowski

Ted Cikowski Red Card

May 31, 2000
    it's really good Krolpolski, it's more upbeat than Forever Blue. Forever Blue might be the most depressing relationship album ever. Don't listen to it after a breakup. Luckily I just use girls for sex so I don't have to worry about that. Anyway I would reccomend that album. The single "Let me down easy" got some top 40 airplay.

14. Senor Askew

Senor Askew Member

Jan 19, 2001
    San Francisco, CA.
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chris Isaak is cool.

15. Ian Lozada

Ian Lozada Member

May 29, 2001
    The Pick Four Pool
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I seem to recall he's in The Silence of the Lambs as a SWAT team leader.

I second the vote for San Francisco Days. Great album.

16. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's also due to be in an upcoming movie called 'Sultans of Africa', whatever that is - this from the advertising before the movie I went to see the other night.

I really like 'Always Got Tonight', and the more I listen to it, the more it grows on me. At most, the only thing that gave me pause was (like I mentioned before) the first 15 seconds of 'Let me down easy', which I thought sounded like a shot at out Sugar Raying Sugar Ray. But that's cool - the songs still good. And if there's the ever-so-slight suspicion that he's coasting a bit now (what with the TV show now and a little more attention here and there) - so what? In general you know what you're getting with one of his albums, and I don't mind that at all. As much as Isaak's music never strays too much from a basic formula, his sound changes a tiny tiny bit every album; get the new one, and go find Heart Shaped World or San Francisco Days and it's pretty apparent (Wicked Game would sound really out of place on this new album). If you like 'American Boy' (and I do too) you'll like the rest of the album, I'm sure.

17. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    I used to live in his neighborhood in SF. Never saw him, though.

And he is much older than he looks.