Chris Durkin at Sint-Truidense V.V. (Belgium)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by BostonRed, Oct 9, 2016.

1. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Brugge was a good test. Only watched the first half. Command in possession was at issue, otherwise he exhibited good defensive instincts. His offense should improve with reps. He always exhibited a flair for the hunt in the final third. His passing thru mid was usually a bit iffy compared to his long passing out of the back which tended to be good. His coaches need to work on his confidence in the short passing game in the middle third. After all, he is a midfielder.

3. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On the bench:

Wait a second, they move him to the starting XI:

4. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    My b-r account is telling me there's viewing option after match ends, i.e.no replays. Seems I have to watch live on b-r live or not at all. Anybody know how he did?

5. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His only mention on their twitter timeline:

7. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
  8. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "I have never felt so tired after a match", Chris Durkin told 1-1 afterwards at Voetbalbelgie.be. “Both physically and mentally. We played a strong game and deservedly took the lead at the end. Unfortunately they took another goal in the 94th minute. That came hard. Then you feel all those meters extra. "

Durkin can again count on playing minutes against Waasland-Beveren. A very different match than at home against Antwerp. On strange terrain, another playing field, with less support from the twelfth man.

“It's a shame that we didn't win this match. We earned the three points against Antwerp. Then we just have to grab it at Waasland-Beveren. If we start with the same mentality, we can succeed in that. We also have to play as one block in that match. The teams at the bottom grabbed points, we have to ensure that the margin remains large enough. "

After Waasland-Beveren-STVV, Chris Durkin boarded the plane. He is also looking forward to that. “I'm only nineteen and haven't seen my family for a while. I do miss the USA a bit. Football is better in Belgium, let's say food in America is better (laughs). Your sugar waffles are damn good. "

9. justinpaul10

justinpaul10 Member+

Sep 2, 2013
    Winoman and twoolley repped this.
  10. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the football is better in Belgium, why couldn’t you break through at DC United?

I say this just to point out that EVERY* foreign player overpraises the league he is in. That includes foreigners in MLS.

The only quotes of this type I find interesting is when a player compares styles or strengths and weaknesses. (In the case of MLS, if you pay close attention, foreigners are more critical of the soccer brain of the American player than the technique.) Straight “who is better” quotes are meaningless.

*Except Zlatan. He is Zlatan.

11. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well he also said “food in America is better” so I would take his whole statement with a grain of salt. Or sugar.

12. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    He'll be fine as long as he understands how much better the food is in Belgium than Holland.

Does anybody know how to watch Belgian league these days ? I used to get it on B-R live which I got for UCL. Now they don't seem to have it suddenly.

Winoman and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  13. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    as if ben olsen's mind is some kind of objective filter of player quality :rolleyes:

never ceases to amaze me how so many conflate how a player's status at club xyz = their objective "level"...especially when it is usually just the personal opinions of 1 person or a small group of people that is ultimately deciding that players fate/status/etc...

i mean just look at any thread on here and see how wildly different opinions are on any player.....just b/c some coach is an "expert" doesn't mean his opinions are somehow standardized and infallible or even just not a matter of TASTE

it'd be like standing outside an ice cream shop and second guessing how good chocolate is b/c someone just chose vanilla...

"if chocolate was so godd, then why did that customer order vanilla?!?"o_O

14. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Adam, look at my profile info. What club is listed?

I know all about Ben’s deficiencies. I also know all about Chris’.

Kid wasn’t good enough for DC.

15. frankburgers

frankburgers Member+

May 31, 2016
    That’s not really true. There was a time in early 2018 when he was one of the best players for DC.

16. mattjo

mattjo Member+

Feb 3, 2001
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He played admirably filling in during that period for Canouse who was injured. He showed promise as a young player but DC was the worst team in MLS during that period. When Canouse returned he was demonstrably better than Durkin. Chris can still develop and improve but this year for DC he was likely the third option as a defensive midfielder and was not a dedicated starter.

frankburgers repped this.
  17. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chris can be a decent player in the right system. For starters, I don't think he'll ever be a good enough lone 6 in a 4-1-4-1 or a 4-1-3-2. He'll need the support of a 4-2-3-1 or something like that.

18. UnitedBorn

UnitedBorn Member+

Dec 7, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Biggest problem for Durkin was signing with United at a time when they didn’t care about youth development. There was no plan for him but playing a couple games here and there with the kickers and hope his World Cup performance was enough to make some cash.

19. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    I've thought for a while that Durkin looks like Trapp Jr. He is a good passer from a deep-lying CM position, but he struggles with the defensive aspects of the position, especially against fast and/or physical opposition. Despite all of the justified griping about Trapp when playing for the USMNT, he's a pretty decent MLS player, and that's what I'd guess is Durkin's ceiling as well. But he's obviously still young, so maybe he can figure out how to fix those deficiencies and surpass that expectation by a bit.

21. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, at Durkin’s current age, Trapp was getting ready for his first professional season.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  22. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Among the many international club friendlies today, I see Schalke 04 v St.Truiden.

Winoman and UniversalAdvice repped this.
  23. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD