Chris Durkin at Sint-Truidense V.V. (Belgium)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by BostonRed, Oct 9, 2016.

1. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    In Italy it's completely common to do so.

twoolley repped this.
  2. Gacm32

Gacm32 Member+

Chelsea
    Switzerland
    Nov 28, 2010
    Geneva
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Ok, I retract my previous statement. Apparently, it's only uncommon in the circles I find myself in.

3. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    i dont understand at all. do you start from the idea that each player is sui generis? seems like a huge mental hassle

4. Gacm32

Gacm32 Member+

Chelsea
    Switzerland
    Nov 28, 2010
    Geneva
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    You can look at each player as an individual, just like you look at each person as an individual. I don't know why that's unusual.

5. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    every person isnt involved in an 11 v 11 game of soccer with reams of data about formations and roles and positions

6. Gacm32

Gacm32 Member+

Chelsea
    Switzerland
    Nov 28, 2010
    Geneva
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    When analyzing a player, how does comparing them to another player ease the strain of analyzing statistics and data? Or how they are viewed on film? I'm not a scout, or anyone that works in a high-level of the game, but I don't see how comparing player A to player B has any impact on how effectively player A is analyzed. Again, I'm not an expert by any stretch, I just don't hear the player comparisons at the pubs or cafes I frequent. I could very well be wrong in my initial comment, and that's why I retracted that statement.

7. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    I think player comparisons are generally made/used in the context of fan A explaining to fan B what kind of player that player is like if fan B has never seen the player before.

Fan B will most likely have familiarity with many stars of the game from the last decade or two.

PalmettoSpur and Gacm32 repped this.
  8. Sufjan Guzan

Sufjan Guzan Member+

Feb 13, 2016
    Alternatively, they can be used to describe the missing gap a team might have.

For example, Arsenal needed someone like Patrick Viera the last decade Arsene coached the Gunners.

9. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    YA is truly the frontier, where posters are constantly finding new things about which to argue.

10. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Read my signature line

11. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was bad today.

12. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

BostonRed repped this.
  13. UnitedBorn

UnitedBorn Member+

Dec 7, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While I don’t think the Adams transfer is a fair comparison since it was essentially an internal transfer DC is seemingly handling this as bad as possible.

ArsenalMetro repped this.
  14. mattjo

mattjo Member+

Feb 3, 2001
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What do people think is a fair valuation for Durkin? I wonder what clubs are offering. I am assuming that if DC United requested 3 million and the German clubs made a counter officer that led to a breakdown in negotiations, than the amounts have some significant distance between them

15. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    After how he played at the U-20s, $8 and a handshake.

But actually, $1-$1.5 million plus a 30% sell-on fee or something like that. $3 million is way too much.

16. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A) I don't think his U20 World Cup was as bad as the narrative that has grown up around it, and

B) $3 million seems more than reasonable for Durkin. There is some value to DCU from having him on the team and if they foresee any growth in his game whatsoever it is a reasonable price.

largegarlic repped this.
  17. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    #67 kruck, Jun 28, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2019
    I'm sure you've watched Durkin more than most. I thought he looked slow and lacked top level lateral quickness/athletic ability. I didn't think it looked all that promising his game would translate very well to the highest level where the game is the fastest and where the quickest, fastest and most athletics players play.

ArsenalMetro repped this.
  18. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    I can see DC's side. He is a useful player for them right now, even if he's not a starter when everyone is there and healthy. And DC is somewhat in "win now" mode while they have Rooney and Acosta. If they're going to give up a useful piece, the price must make it worth their while.

Looking down the road a bit, I see Durkin as Trapp 2.0, which means he'll still be a useful MLS player, but not the sort of guy who will have serious Euro interest in another couple years. And again, DC could think he'd be an above average MLS CM for them for the next decade or so, and they'd need a pretty decent transfer price to give that up, even while they recognize that they won't be able to get any money for him in another year or two.

I think that's kind of the difficult spot a lot of B-level prospects fall into. Valuable enough to their MLS teams to not sell for low offers, but not with enough potential for Euro sides to offer more than $1-2 million. It will be interesting to see what Bassett gets, if that deal to Freiburg indeed goes through.

Winoman repped this.
  19. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I watched every U20 game. His World Cup was exactly as bad as the narrative.

The list of players who have been sold out of MLS for $3 million-plus is pretty short. The list of teenagers to have been sold for that much is two: Altidore and Davies.

If DC thinks he's worth that much, great! Keep him around, play him, let him develop, add some value. MLS clubs (despite what a lot of YA posters think) are under no obligation at all to sell young players to the first club that comes in with a decent offer.

The issue is that the track record of young pros leaving MLS for Europe isn't...great, so there isn't any incentive for European clubs to pay all that much based on club performance. Add Durkin's uninspired U20 performance to that equation*, and there's no way he's worth $3 million on the transfer market. Until MLS exports play well in Europe on a broad scale, the sale model is going to be a relatively low up-front fee with sell-on and performance clauses.

* - even if the narrative is overstated, it's a long journey from there to it actually being good

TheFalseNine repped this.
  20. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    good to see dcu sticking to the skc circa epb playbook

21. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good for you, should we keep this up pretending like one of us will eventually convince the other?

22. UnitedBorn

UnitedBorn Member+

Dec 7, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Impressive number of three letter abbreviations here.

23. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    felt so good tbh

UnitedBorn, largegarlic and TheFalseNine repped this.
  24. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007

new three letters: wtf

suddenly i guess dc cares a bit more about durkins professional career now that he perhaps doesnt have the upside they once thought he did?

25. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Gacm32, WheezingUSASupport and Winoman repped this.