Chris Durkin at Sint-Truidense V.V. (Belgium)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by BostonRed, Oct 9, 2016.

1. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Spotted this today on Chris Durkin:

Which led to this:

The friendship match, Inter played a 2 player his apprenticeship, Reus Danso and Chris Durkin. Durkin came from Academy of DC United.

Seems he has trained at Inter before:
    http://www.blackandredunited.com/yo...84/dc-united-academy-chris-durkin-inter-milan

When he signed with DCU:

As the captain and heart of the U.S. U-17 Men’s National Team heading into a World Cup cycle, Durkin had plenty of options as he and his parents contemplated the next step in his career. A holding midfielder at heart who can also excel at center back, he had interest from big clubs in Germany and Italy, where Inter Milan were receptive to his return after he impressed in a training stint there earlier this year, and “an open invitation” from Dutch powerhouse PSV Eindhoven.

Of course, he's only just turned 16 and probably doesn't have an EU passport, so options are limited for now.

DOB: 02/08/2000 (his DCU profile says 8/2)
    His USSDA profile: http://dcut.ussoccerda.com/sam/teams/index.php?team=1400306&player=28725392

2. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't they used to share an ownership group?

3. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Erick Thohir is still part of ownership for both clubs, I believe. That's why that Inter Youngsters tweet is written in Indonesian.

4. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    From yesterday's news, the latest:

D.C. United’s managing partners Erick Thohir and Jason Levien have bought out partner William Chang’s 40 percent stake in the team, giving the pair complete ownership of Washington’s Major League Soccer club.

Thohir, co-founder of the Indonesia-based Mahaka Group, an entertainment company, also has a controlling stake in Italian professional soccer club Inter Milan. Levien is a part-owner of the English Premier League’s Swansea City.
    http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...s-thohir-levien-buy-out-team-s-minority-owner

superdave repped this.
  5. LandonDonovan2018

Dec 29, 2016
    Has there been any other rumblings about Durkin leaving for Europe? He was stellar at World Cup, so I would imagine that the interest is there.

Gacm32 repped this.
  6. ShaftBrewer

ShaftBrewer Member+

Jul 18, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He turns 18 in February so he could move across soon if that's his choice. But I'd expect to at least have some news of him talking with teams (this very well could have happened, but I just missed it). I think he's signed at DCU, so my guess he'll stick there for a year or two, and then move across.

7. LandonDonovan2018

Dec 29, 2016
    I still scoff at the thought of DC playing Marcelo Sarvas ahead of Durkin.

Lookingforleftbacks repped this.
  8. kba4life1

kba4life1 Member+

Jul 14, 2010
    Irvine, CA
    They couldn't mess up all the chemistry the team had built up, duh.

A Durkin, Canouse and Harkes midfield trio with Arriola on the right would make D.C. amongst the more interesting teams next year from a USMNT perspective....but, will it actually happen?

I was impressed with the way Durkin handled the speed and athleticism of Ghana and England. Durkin ain't the fastest, but he acquitted himself well and seemed to almost always escape pressure when pressed. Bodes well for his ability to translate that to the pro ranks

Winoman, Gacm32 and LandonDonovan2018 repped this.
  9. Gacm32

Gacm32 Member+

Chelsea
    Switzerland
    Nov 28, 2010
    Geneva
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Also, he looks to play the ball forward into attackers feet, and switch the play. This is important for a d-mid, and something we've been missing for a while. He's probably my favorite prospect from the U-17 team. I think he has more potential than Sargent,Weah and Carleton.

Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  10. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    You're leaving out Luciano Acosta, and I think Durkin and Canouse in the MF would be a little too similar. DC should probably sell Durkin next summer as Canouse and Harkes will be good solid career long MLSers, while Durkin will be in Europe eventually.

And not to forget that DC has the homegrown rights to Eryk Williamson.

DC_Dave repped this.
  11. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Ives wrote yesterday that Hannover is interested -- I had not see that (but I miss lots of things):

Durkin boosted his profile considerably at last fall's U-17 World Cup, where he was one of the standouts on a U.S. team that reached the quarterfinals before losing to eventual champion England. That showing led to an increased level of interest from foreign clubs, with sources telling Goal that teams ranging from Italian side Inter to German club Hannover 96 have made offers for Durkin.

D.C. United has listened to offers, but has yet to accept any of them. Now a move seems even less likely that Durkin is enjoying an impressive preseason with the first team.

"I know that there is serious interest, and there are some offers, but I'm just focusing on preseason, and letting my agent and all the staff and D.C. handle that, because if I get too focused on that it'll consume me," Durkin said. "I have to focus on the football."
    http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/will...erican-teenager-in/197hicb8tarre138hnxcw8wnhw

There was a little pickup in Germany:

http://www.fussballtransfers.com/bundesliga/hannover-bietet-fur-nachsten-us-boy_87768

The phrase "teams ranging from Italian side Inter to German club Hannover 96" is a bit confusing. What kind of "range" starts with Inter and ends with Hannover? Are those even the ends of the range? Have other teams actually made offers for Durkin, or only Inter and Hannover, and there's no "range" at all?

12. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Depends.

They all have tolls, but I have concluded that Ives meant this one.

Screen Shot 2018-02-15 at 10.38.58 AM.png

This route passes through, among others, Basel, Freiburg, and Frankfurt, which I have concluded to be the most likely route Ives was talking about. It is not the quickest, and the other route does pass through Zurich and Stuttgart, but there's way too much construction in that one to possibly be "the range".

Lookingforleftbacks and Gorky repped this.
  13. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it just means Hannover and Inter...

Starman* repped this.
  14. SCSAutism

SCSAutism Member

United States
    May 9, 2017
  15. kba4life1

kba4life1 Member+

Jul 14, 2010
    Irvine, CA
    I’m somewhat torn. It’d be great to see Durkin in the Benfica system, and as we’ve seen the the kids in Germany, it helps having yanks around in a foreign country to help acclimate. But on the other hand, it’s disappointing our best prospects don’t get playing time in MLS.

There’s no reason Durkin should’ve continued playing in Richmond the second half of last year when DC was dead and buried.

Lookingforleftbacks, jjmack and Winoman repped this.
  16. Anderson11

Anderson11 Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So you're telling me Durkin has impressed enough that Benfica are willing to pay a transfer fee for him, but not enough to get on the field for one of the worst teams in MLS?

TxEx, bballshawn, sakibomb523 and 3 others repped this.
  17. kba4life1

kba4life1 Member+

Jul 14, 2010
    Irvine, CA
    #MLSyouthdevelopment

18. Sizmik

Sizmik Member+

Dec 21, 2011
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    not sure why you are surprised.....

19. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    sakibomb523 and Winoman repped this.
  20. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Hannover is going to regret not meeting DCU’s asking price of $1.5-$2 million.

21. Anderson11

Anderson11 Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thread title made me think I missed big news when this got bumped.

22. Brotheryoungbuck

Jan 24, 2015
    parts unknown
    The article mentions that Durkin might play at CB next season.

23. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Not a major update but:

Another homegrown player, 18-year-old midfielder Chris Durkin, has attracted interest overseas. Kasper said European clubs have reached out but not made any formal offers.

“He had a great year and the future is really bright for Chris,” Kasper said. “The challenge for us next year is, can we get him on the field? Where does he fit in so we can continue pushing his minutes and growth?”​

https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...-darren-mattocks-will-not-return-next-season/

Winoman repped this.
  24. Anderson11

Anderson11 Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember seeing that Durkin said his contract ends when he’s 19. Was that in his interview with @zlebmada ? That would mean Durkin has a year left on his contract. If so, DC has their hands tied. They need Durkin to sign an extension or sell him now if they want to avoid him leaving for free in a year.

I’m surprised we haven’t heard any rumors in a while. Does anyone know something I don’t?

25. frankburgers

frankburgers Member+

May 31, 2016
    Prior to Rooney’s arrival, there was a period of several games where durkin absolutely bossed. Just pinging balls and setting the tempo. Canouse finished the year great, but I hope durkin gets a lot of run early this season and gets sold in the summer