Choosing the USMNT Gold Cup roster

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by LouisianaViking07/09, May 12, 2019.

1. AutoPenalti

AutoPenalti Am I famous yet?

Sep 26, 2011
    Coconut Creek
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Roldan seems to be inform right now, and he’s not included?

truefan420 repped this.
  2. ifsteve

ifsteve Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Jul 7, 2013
    MS and ID
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have one major problem with this roster, and really its more the commentary. I HATE when I read that you wouldn't call in someone because they haven't been getting much playing time with their club.

You have to look much deeper than that simple minutes or not. Why are they not getting minutes? If they aren't playing because they haven't been doing well then so be it. But if they aren't playing because of some other factors (blocked by somebody playing great, a coach who doens't like them, etc) then you have to take that into account.

Then there are other factors to consider - in this case the U20 World Cup. Tim Weah is on that roster and he should be and will play there. But Josh Sargent is not because Tab believes Josh is with the full MNT. So if that is the case Sargent is on my Gold Cup roster over several guys on this guys wish list.

As for keeper, those following the keeper thread already know how I feel about this. I am calling in Steffen and Horvath as my two starters and I would play them both. Then I am calling in a younger keeper to get them into camp. Pick your kid but its not Hamid, Johnson, or Guzan. I am looking to the future and none of those three are in those plans. And since I am giving all the minutes (short of injury) to my #1 and 2, I am using this opportunity to get a kid in good training.

rlrcpa and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  3. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't get not including Sargent if we didn't take him to the U20 WC, unless you want him to get rest before Werder's summer camp?

rlrcpa and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  4. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Including Bradley and suggesting he's having a good season is insane.

rgli13 and Winoman repped this.
  5. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    But Bradley is almost always called if he is at all healthy. We keep doing that over and over. But, maybe, you are right about the insanity:

"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results." Usually attributed to Einstein but there is no evidence that he ever actually said it.​

Winoman repped this.
  6. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When is the roster supposed to be released

7. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm cool with him having him around, but please just give me

WES CP

ADAMS

DHC1, rlrcpa and Pegasus repped this.
  8. manq360

manq360 Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would be okay with having MikeB around...not playing but adding his experience. However, I am not convince that he is a very good leader. Actually, nothing that he has done, from being captain for many years to being just a player, convinces me that I want the younger guys to learn from him.

9. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    Agreed, but he will be there, so there needs to be something, anything, for US Soccer and the media to latch onto. It ain't past performance, it ain't leadership, it ain't current performance...so some nebulous, impossible-to-define-and-quantify experience is the reason de jour.