Choosing a name for your child?

Discussion in 'Parenting & Family' started by Forza_Totti, Nov 19, 2007.

1. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, well, ********, guess I have to change one of my kid's names.

And the other kid has a diaeresis in her first name. And two middle names.

Oh no.

(names are Tessa and Anaïs)

2. StiltonFC

StiltonFC He said to only look up -- Guster

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    don't ever tell Anaïs that her name has a diaeresis in it. you'll give her a complex.;)

3. gremista

gremista New Member

Jun 27, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary
    some of you may have a spouse/partner with a different nationality than your own.....this created a number of challenges, namely finding something that works in both mother tongues, let alone the other languages my wife and I speak.

We ended up using Daniel Tamas (Thomas), which both sets of grandparents can say without a problem. Funny thing was that after our boy was born, I went to the social security list and found out his name was number one for boys in my home state for the year he was born! So much for originality! Additionally, our second choice was Patrick, which we have since found out is currently a fashionable name in Hungary. There are a ton of one year olds running around with that name, a name that was until recently rarely used here. Of course, the Irish have been buying up property like crazy here, so maybe that is it!

Did not see it mentioend but another thing (similar to the name of an ex) is the name of someone you knew who you really disliked or thought was an idiot. A lot of nice names were eliminated with " No, it can't be that! I once knew a XXXX and he was a complete tool!"

4. StiltonFC

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Zheklov is a wonderful name.

...or Zheqlab, if you happen to be something other than Indo-European.

5. gremista

gremista New Member

Jun 27, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary
    Is that you Bob Taylor?

6. gremista

gremista New Member

Jun 27, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary
    hahhah......

though to my uneducated ear, it has a Russian/Slavic sound that does not go over to well with the locals here

7. StiltonFC

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Michael Taylor, my guess. He just doesn't sound like a Robert.

8. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    It's actually just a general guideline- not a pass/fail test of your parenting abilities.

9. StiltonFC

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    oh, yeah, it's Slavic. with the proper cheekbones, a Zheklov can go far.

10. gremista

gremista New Member

Jun 27, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary
    Yeah, but with the rising nationalism here, I wouldn't want to saddle a kid with that in Hungary. Of course, he would probably grow up tough, a la " A boy named Sue"

11. Ian Lozada

Ian Lozada Member

May 29, 2001
    The Pick Four Pool
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My wife and I have twins due in April. At the moment, we can only agree on one girl's name, and as far as boys go, we each have a first choice name that the other parent isn't crazy about, but that we'd probably agree to use if both are boys. If both are girls, we're not THAT far apart.

We find out genders next Thursday. If you find out I've been stabbed in my sleep on Friday, you'll know it's a girl and a boy.

12. StiltonFC

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the boy's gotta be named for an Arsenal striker. no, not Nwankwo.

i would go with Ian, but that's not much of a name, izzit? so whatcha think of Drake Lozada?

13. Ian Lozada

Ian Lozada Member

May 29, 2001
    The Pick Four Pool
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the kid has a better chance of getting a named after a horse. Besides, strikers get too much love.

One of Kristina's top choices is to name the kid after New York Rangers goaltender Henrik Lundqvist.

14. StiltonFC

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm diggin' Enrique Lun'qvis' Lozada. :D

15. skijerze

skijerze New Member

Jul 9, 2006
    Wallington
    My husband's name is Henryk , and it's our son's middle name. I love the spelling. :)

Be sure to update us with your twins gender :)

16. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Saw a caption of a HS softball player sliding into a base. It read "Lasagna Jenkins slides hard into 2nd...." I looked at the sentence a few times to make sure it wasn't a misprint.

17. FRYE!

FRYE! New Member

Oct 21, 2007
    KC

oh, i've got some other favorites... Tra'von, Wayneisha, Chantell, Lew'one, Tequila... i could go on and on. it never ceases to amaze me how "creative" some parents get when naming their kids!

18. supersport

supersport New Member

Oct 17, 2001
    San Francisco
    Then there is the old standby, Nosmo King. (No Smoking)

19. FRYE!

FRYE! New Member

Oct 21, 2007
    KC

how bout for a girl, Doushea' Bagby?

20. Ian Lozada

Ian Lozada Member

May 29, 2001
    The Pick Four Pool
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bill Simmons recently wrote that the chief goal of every father of a daughter is to keep his daughter off the pole.

With that in mind, these are actual names I've seen in the book we're working from...

1. Aureola
    2. Bunny
    3. Burgundy
    4. Cashmere
    5. Chablis
    6. Chardonnay
    7. Cherry
    8. Chiquita
    9. Diamond
    10. Diva
    11. Energy
    12. Eternity
    13. Glimmer
    14. Ikea
    15. Imperia
    16. Lavender
    17. Mystery
    18. Mystique
    19. Sable
    20. Sailor
    21. Satin
    22. Secret
    23. Serendipity
    24. Steel
    25. Storm
    26. Sunshine
    27. Turquoise

21. StiltonFC

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    see notes above...

22. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay, so I guess we're the cheesy ones here. We're a family of Es. I'm Erin, husband's Eric, and baby to be is Emily Grace. Our next baby will be either Eva Belle or Evan ? (obviously depending on the sex).

I know Emily is a highly popular name, and I would have rather stayed away from that. But it just seemed right to us. We really loved the name Grace, but we also wanted an E name. Emily seemed to fit with Grace. So Emily Grace she is!

I can't say that we really have rules on names. We ran through a whole list and then decided we wanted E and that was that.

23. Ian Lozada

Ian Lozada Member

May 29, 2001
    The Pick Four Pool
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, we're in for another 4-5 months of baby name debating. Our twins are definitely fraternal.

We've got the daughter's name picked out, but the son is going to take some hashing out.

24. Frieslander

Frieslander Member
    Staff Member

Feb 14, 2000
    North Jersey
    My wife's due in March and we're not finding out the sex. A boy's name has been decided but we're having trouble with a girl's name. She wants a nighttime teen soap opera or stupidly popular name like Madison or Emma. I prefer traditional names like Elisabeth or Katherine (my grandmother's name). I think my favorite is Gretchen but she says the name sounds too harsh.

She tells me she has wanted a girl named Madison Leigh since junior high but I can't handle naming a girl a surname that means something like "son of Matthew" and I have a bitchy sister-in-law named Leigh.

We have very little common ground hopefully, if the kid is a girl, it's named before we leave the hospital.

25. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any of you having trouble, I can help: I find I have a much easier time choosing a name for children of other people than my own! :)

Our names start with B and K; daughter one has first name, middle name initials BK and daughter two KB. The first one just sort of happened, but once it did we felt we needed to do the same for our youngest.