Chivas China

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by El CHarro_NEgro...., Sep 6, 2007.

1. CACuzcatlan

CACuzcatlan Member

Jun 11, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Omar Bravo will finally get to fulfill his lifelong dream of playing in China!

2. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Wow!!!

I actually think this is a good idea.

3. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    Jorge Vergara should just change the name "Chivas" to "Globetrotters."

4. futgod

futgod Member+

Nov 28, 2006
    NorCal
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Vergara is a buisness man and China means lots of buisness. If Vergara does this right, this could make him Millions. China is a world power and theres more than enough chinese people to make Chivas China a money maker.

5. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

Chivas Chino! I like it.

6. Ron86

Ron86 Member

Jun 7, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    so chivas usa are finally moving. I hoped INSiDE the MLS, not to another country. That kinda sucks!!

7. EL MONO MARIO

EL MONO MARIO Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Montevideo, Uruguay
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In other words Jorge Vergara now has a 3rd team he could NOT care less about.

Saprissa
    Chivas USA
    and now Chivas China (which he will market by having a lot of Mexican players (no names) rejects from Chivas (the real ones) farm system 2 "Known" mexican players, 3 chineese players he'll have a Dutch coach and VICTORYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!! (WAIT! where have I heard this before):rolleyes:

8. EL MONO MARIO

EL MONO MARIO Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Montevideo, Uruguay
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Same was said when He created Chivas USa, instead he is LOSING MONEY on Chivas USA.

9. krudmonk

krudmonk Member+

Mar 7, 2007
    S.J. Sonora
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    This is a good way of tapping into the Mexican population in China.

10. anewsoccerfan

anewsoccerfan Member

Apr 15, 2007
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Guadalajara should change their name to Chivas Mexico.

Chivas Mexico
    Chivas USA
    Chivas China
    Chivas ???

11. SixKick

SixKick Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2000
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Didn't Vergara also say he was going to try a Chivas Spain?

12. CACuzcatlan

CACuzcatlan Member

Jun 11, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Won't they have to start in the lowest division and work themselves up? How many divisions are there in Spain? I know FC United of Manchester in England started at the 10th division. If Spain has that many it will be at least 8 years before the team is even recognized. Unless you can somehow buy directly into La Liga.

13. Bill Schmidt

Bill Schmidt BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 3, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, Mexico already had a team called "Globetrotters," in the second division.

14. sharkeyca

sharkeyca New Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Chivas Canada?

15. jass

jass Member

Oct 12, 2006
    Club:
    Parana Curitiba
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Couldnt he buy a team in the 2nd division, rename it, and then be promoted?

16. Hed7181

Hed7181 Member

Jul 1, 2003
    VA Beach, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/soccer/09/06/bc.soc.mls.chivasusa.le.ap/

Could the resignation of Chivas USA CEO and GM Javier Le Don be related? I think so, based on the comments made in this article. It sounds like Javier Le Don may be the new CEO of Chivas China...or Chivas Russia or Chivas Ireland or Chivas Argentina.

Speaking of which, why didn't they change the name of Saprissa to Chivas CR?

...and while on the subject of Saprissa, I just read that Vergara instituted the All-Costa Rica rule for them, like he did for Chivas Mexico. Why doesn't he do this for Chivas USA. Make it the ALL-USA team! Only American players can play on Chivas USA. That would be cool.

(I know, I know. Branding blah blah blah...Target audience blah blah blah)

17. fireman451

fireman451 Member+

Jun 26, 2002
    The Midwest
    Club:
    --other--

Not sure if you're old enough, but your cool idea reminds elders like me of a similar cool idea from my youth . . .

[​IMG]

Of course the American player pool is much better today (MLS, Europe, USL), but I still couldn't help but think of the mighty Team America when I read your post . . . America's team. :D

18. SoccerFreak

SoccerFreak Member

Oct 18, 2000
    Portland, OR
    I think that's what he was trying to do in Spain. I think he wanted to buy Malaga and rebrand it Chivas Espana and have half of the team be made up of Mexicans and the other half Spanish. Negotiations broke down though.

19. Huey is a SoB

Huey is a SoB New Member

Aug 2, 2007
    Bensalem
    That'd be cool...

20. futgod

futgod Member+

Nov 28, 2006
    NorCal
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Well the name is Hefei Chivas, and not Chivas China. I think Vergara realized its better to name it after the city not the country.

As for the poster who said this is the third team that vergara doesent care about, I have to say Vergara has done a lot for Saprissa. Under Vergara Saprissa has wone a couple Championships and the CCC, got third place in the World Club Championship, so it will be the second team Vergara wont care about.

Supposedly he plans on taking 1 player from Chivas USA 1 from Saprissa and two from El Guadalajara.

If anything its great for Chinese soccer because Vergara is bringing 100 kids to live and train in Guadalajara and also trainning Chinese Coaches.
    http://www.mediotiempo.com/noticia.php?id_noticia=44494

21. Freddy Garcia Lives

Feb 28, 2003
    Tumwater, WA
    Answer: Chivas Costa Rica, it's a re-branding thing

22. RichardUK

RichardUK Member

Dec 14, 2006
    Nottingham, UK
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Think Chivas USA will rebrand to Chivas LA in the near future?

23. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    Not likely, because of the LA Galaxy, but if the team moved to, let's say Phoenix, then I'd say, probably.

24. fireman451

fireman451 Member+

Jun 26, 2002
    The Midwest
    Club:
    --other--
    Here's and article in English via the SportsYA website . . . it's not good English, it seems to be a translated article.

http://batanga.sportsya.com/english/news.php?id_estruc=283&id=157280

It mentions the 100 Chinese youth going to Mexico and the probable purchase price for a Chinese team of approx. $2-$8 million. Looks like Vergara is going to set up a commercial operation in addition to a soccer club.

EDIT: Looked up "Catagory A". If the report is accurate, it seems that the Chinese Chivas club would play in China's second division, aka Chinese Jia League (Jia="A"). China has promotion/relegation. Promotion to the Super League, relegation to the A League.