Chinese Super League/AFC Champions League 2011

Discussion in 'China' started by ntg., Mar 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chengb02

chengb02 Member

Oct 14, 2002
    What you say about Bangkok having just one club is exactly the situation in Beijing and is part of the reason the club is so well supported.

Part of Shanghai Shenhua's problem is location, as more and more fans move to Pudong, they can't be arsed making the trip to Hongkou on weekends, but that doesn't fully explain the piddly attendance the club gets. I don't buy into the "Shanghai only likes the Euro leagues" as 5-6 years ago when the city had 2 teams, both did okay.

2. Puckodum

Puckodum Member

Jun 27, 2007
    Sweden
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    Man it´s a joy to watch Hao Junmin play again, i know most of you if not all wanted him to stay in Europe but i´d much rather see him play week in week out in CSL. He´s been directly involved in both Shandongs goals with one "real" assist against Shenhua and has been wreaking havoc all day long

3. lu0hh

lu0hh Member

Dec 12, 2010
    Club:
    Guangzhou Yiyao
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    liaoning vs guangdong was so fierce! i didnt realize it was thursday nightt that they were playing! almost thought guangdong lost. no one can stop them lol

4. greenlion

greenlion Member

Apr 22, 2004
    CHINA
    Club:
    Beijing Guoan
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    China - Super League Round 20
    August 12

Liaoning Hongyun 1 - 1 Guangzhou Evergrande (25,812)

August 13

Changchun Yatai 3 - 0 Shaanxi Chanba (11,560)
    Beijing Guoan 1 - 0 Nanchang Bayi (35,722)
    Dalian Shide 3 - 2 Qingdao Jonoon (20,137)
    Shandong Luneng 2 - 0 Shanghai Shenhua (22,615)
    Shenzhen Ruby 0 - 0 Hangzhou Greentown (5,130)
    Chengdu Blades 1 - 1 Tianjin Teda (5,267)
    Henan Jianye 0 - 0 Jiangsu Sainty (19,730)

Table
    Code:
    1  Guangzhou 45
    2  Beijing   36
    3  Shandong  33
    ----------------
    4  Liaoning  31
    5  Shaanxi   28
    6  Hangzhou  27
    7  Jiangsu   26
    8  Changchun 26
    9  Tianjin   26
    10 Shanghai  24
    11 Qingdao   23
    12 Henan     18
    13 Dalian    18
    14 Nanchang  17
    ------------------
    15 Shenzhen  13
    16 Chengdu   13
    Attendance summary update to August 13

Code:
    Rank    Team        Total    Average
    1    Guangzhou    459,170    45,917
    2    Beijing     413,145    41,315
    3    Shaanxi     301,174    33,464
    4    Liaoning     205,607    20,561
    5    Henan        166,200    18,467
    6    Tianjin     131,997    16,500
    7    Jiangsu     139,665    15,518
    8    Dalian        153,914    15,391
    9    Shandong     127,411    14,157
    10    Changchun    119,672    13,297
    11    Shanghai      94,379    10,487
    12    Nanchang     103,670    10,367
    13    Hangzhou      91,790     9,179
    14    Chengdu      70,807     7,867
    15    Shenzhen      68,540     7,616
    16    Qingdao      75,313     7,531
            League total  2,722,454    18,150

5. greenlion

greenlion Member

Apr 22, 2004
    CHINA
    Club:
    Beijing Guoan
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    China - Super League
    August 17 Round 21
    Shaanxi Chanba 1 - 1 Tianjin Teda 27,668
    Beijing Guoan 3 - 1 Chengdu Blades 33,526
    Dalian Shide 1 - 1 Liaoning Whowin 24,790
    Hangzhou Greentown 1 - 2 Henan Jianye 12,156
    Nanchang Bayi 0 - 0 Qingdao Jonoon 10,754
    Jiangsu Sainty 2 - 0 Shandong Luneng 18,560
    Shanghai Shenhua 0 - 2 Changchun Yatai 8,325
    Guangzhou Evergrande 4 - 1 Shenzhen Ruby 48,020

update to August 17, Total attendance 2,906,253 Average attendance 18,394

Code:
    Table
    1. Guangzhou 48
    2. Beijing   39
    3. Shandong  33
    -----------------
    4. Liaoning  32
    5. Jiangsu   29
    6. Changchun 29
    7. Shaanxi   29
    8. Tianjin   27
    9. Hangzhou  27
    10. Qingdao  24
    11. Shanghai 24
    12. Henan    21
    13. Dalian   19
    14. Nanchang 18
    ------------------
    15. Shenzhen 13
    16. Chengdu  13
    Average attendance by club as of August 17
    Code:
    Guangzhou	46108 
    Beijing		40606 
    Shanxi		32884 
    Liaoning	20561 
    Henan		18467 
    Tianjin		16500 
    Dalian		16246 
    Jiangsu		15823 
    Shandong	14157 
    Changchun	13297 
    Nanchang	10402 
    Shanghai	10270 
    Hangzhou	 9450 
    Chengdu		 7867 
    Shenzhen	 7616 
    Qingdao		 7531 

6. shanghai_ultra

Mar 29, 2006
    Shanghai
    Club:
    Shanghai Shenhua
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland

The problem for Shenhua isn't connected to location. If you consider people's square to be the very centre of Shanghai, Hongkou stadium is three miles north of it. In Shanghai terms, thats pretty close, Hongkou district is on the north side of the city proper. Subway line 8, and number 3, the elevated rail, goes there. The NW side of the city is heavily residental so this means a lot of fans don't have a long way to travel. Also no connection with Pudong, when Shenhua played at Yuanshen stadium in pudong in 2008, they got smaller crowds than they did at Hongkou.

Rather the problem with SHanghai is that the team does not really match the aspirations of the city. The city is China's biggest, most progressive and most modern and outward-looking metropolis. Yet for years the team has under achieved, two championships in 17 years is a very poor haul. You could turn that argument on its head by poiting to Beijing who get 40k a match and yet only won the championship once - but that was two years ago. Shenhua havent won anything in nearly a decade.

In the late 90s in the CSLs boom years they were getting 35k fans a week. So the following is there. When you speak to locals, they often say that they followed the team feverishly during the 90s and the side was very "cool" then. But SHanghai is a city of trends. And the corruption problems which taint the game seem even more unseemly to Shanghainese who live in a city which is said to be the most well-regulated and, compared to other cities, less affected by corruption.

I think Shanghai is more sensitive to foreign standards and influences than other parts of CHina. New trends in China always start in SHanghai and everywhere else follows. So i think Shanghainese compare their own team with those of foreign origin more. The latest trend is for watching big match football like the champions league final in bars with groups of friends, drinking and going crazy in support of a team you have little connection with other than deciding one day you will follow this team because its successful. If the CSL gains more credibility, and the game in general in China can lift itself from the doldrums, then Shenhua's support base will increase along with this. But, unlike most things, don't look to Shanghai to lead the way in making the CSL more popular. But once the crowds come back to Hongkou, thats when you know the CSL will have "made it" again.

7. napolisoccer

napolisoccer Member

NYCFC - Napoli
    Feb 20, 2005
    Napoli
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Maybe the only solution for Shanghai would be the arrival of a very rich group as in Guangzhou.

8. chengb02

chengb02 Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Okay, I still hold location is one of the issues. I know more and more friends who were living in the "city" who've moved out to the middle of ********ing nowhere Pudong over the years as the city housing prices have risen. Granted, none were Shenhua fans, but I think this is a general trend in the city and its only true over the past 3 years especially.

I think you hit it on the head when you talk about the underachieving. Fans really started coming back when Beijing moved back to Gongti in 2009 and as they got closer and closer to winning the title, they've stayed on and gotten more rampant since. Shenhua have had little succes ovver the past few years, I'm not sure if attendance got better when they were in the title race or not, but I think winning a title would help.

I'm sorry, I simply don't buy this "Shanghai is more foreign" argument. There are 4 first tier cities in China, Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou and Shenzhen. Beijing and Guangzhou have massive attendance, Shanghai's is mediocre at best, and Shenzhen sucks. I don't buy that 2011 Shanghai is any more foreign looking than Beijing or Guangzhou, this is the Shanghainese (oft missplaced) self pride, and so they like to believe it.

That said, I honestly can't offer any other reason, beyond the fact they haven't won and everyone loves a winner.

9. teamdragon

teamdragon Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 2008
    LOL. In Guangzhou, Shanghai is often synonymous with lao tu. Might, a big might, be a little unfair since it's arguably slightly less tu than Beijing. But at least Beijing is tu for a good reason. And, uh, of course, not that there's anything wrong with being lao tu. :D

That's reason enough. Beijing won recently and Guangzhou is looking great as of late. Except in some second or third tier cities, attendance usually follows performance of the team.

10. greenlion

greenlion Member

Apr 22, 2004
    CHINA
    Club:
    Beijing Guoan
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    CSL Round 22

August 21
    Chengdu 1-3 Shaanxi (5,868)
    Tianjin 1-0 Shanghai (18,683)
    Changchun 1-0 Jiangsu (12,000)
    Shandong 1-2 Hangzhou (12,793)
    Henan 1-1 Guangzhou (20,688)
    Shenzhen 4-2 Dalian (6,352)
    Liaoning 1-0 Nanchang (15,821)
    Qingdao 1-0 Beijing (12,180)

CSL round 4 postpond match

August 24
    Shenzhen 2-1 Jiangsu (16,760)

Shenzhen ruby back to the Shenzhen city and opened their new home venue, the Bao'an Stadium "Bamboo Grove", capacity 40,462

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Kazurro

Kazurro New Member

Jul 13, 2009
    León, Spain
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    And is there any new about it?

Just curiosity seeing attendance, how much does it cost a ticket for a Guangzhou or Beijing match? And how much TV pays for broadcasting the matches?

And BTW do you think we must expect a resurge in attendance in a great city like Shenzhen with the new stadium?

12. chengb02

chengb02 Member

Oct 14, 2002
    As mentioned on wildeastfootball, the Shanghai boss has been called in by the Shanghai sports bureau, rumours abound about the conversation, but basically a "put up or shut up" situation, either he starts paying to make the team better or he pays to be the 100% owner or he sells the club.

TV pays next to nothing for the broadcasting rights and some teams games aren't even broadcast. The most expensive single match ticket in Beijing is RMB80, the cheapest is RMB30, and a season tickets costs RMB350. Not sure about Guangzhou, but it can't be much more.

I don't expect any resurgence in attendance in Shenzhen, it was the first game in a new stadium, an anamoly. If you look at Shenzhen's attendance, the first home match of the season had 15k, the first match in Huizhou got close to that, and then they got nothing, until this first match at the new stadium. While Bao'an district has a large population, it is "Guan Wai", the population consists of mostly factory workers, and doesn't contain many local Shenzheners.

13. Yiddo Huayi

Yiddo Huayi Member

Jun 19, 2011
    Wellington, NZ
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    New Zealand
    Although Shenzhen have pulled out of the relegation zone for now and have strung a couple wins together - if they continue their winning streak maybe the crowd numbers will stay up as well?

14. ntg.

ntg. Moderator
    Staff Member

May 9, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Guangzhou Evergrande 2-0 Shanghai Shenhua

Guangzhou is still undefeated, and they might take the CSL title if they win next week.

15. YenSter

YenSter Member

Apr 10, 2007
    London
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Yeah it was a pretty straight forward game for Guangzhou, Shanghai actually played ok and strung some decent passes but their final ball was terriable. As a Shanghai supporter I am kinda annoyed with the ref today Shanghai had a blatant penalty turned down and Cheng Liangs red card was soft to say the least, however Guangzhou did what they've done all season which is grind out a result and hope that a bit Individual skill will get them the win.

16. ntg.

ntg. Moderator
    Staff Member

May 9, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    yo which stream did you use to watch the match? :D

17. gold4278

gold4278 Member

Feb 21, 2007
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Go Chengdu :) Big upset over Shanghai today!!! They hadn't won a game in ages...

18. ntg.

ntg. Moderator
    Staff Member

May 9, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Changchun Yatai 2-1 Guangzhou Evergrande :eek:

Changchun keeps the home advantage of not losing a match this season.
    Guangzhou ended it's undefeated streak (for 23 matches).

19. lu0hh

lu0hh Member

Dec 12, 2010
    Club:
    Guangzhou Yiyao
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    i woke up and could not believe the results lol.
    guangzhou lost...
    maybe changchun does have what it takes to be in acl

20. cfb21

cfb21 Member

Aug 28, 2011
    London
    Did anyone watch the match? if so, did Zhang Wenzhao play? and if he did, how did he perform?

That's an interesting one, we will get to see Huang Bowen up against some key players from the NT such as Deng Zhuoxiang and Hao Junmin as well as some players who could/should be in Team China such as Han Peng.

21. chengb02

chengb02 Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Changchun definitely has what it takes, they started out badly and went through the whole "Fire Shen Xiangfu" experience, but it seems to be that's just Changchun's culture, the moment they are losing, even when they're near the top of the table, they want Shen fired, it's almost becoming a running joke...

Zhang played and played well, he looked impressive against both Guoan and Changchun, the kid can hold his own and it's no surprise that Camacho is looking at him. It will require more juggling in central midfield, but the kid should at least see some minutes in a friendly.

22. cfb21

cfb21 Member

Aug 28, 2011
    London
    That's really exciting news, he's young so hopefully something interesting will come of him.

23. chengb02

chengb02 Member

Oct 14, 2002
    I wouldn't put a lot of hope in him, he's an attacking central midfielder, he's 24 which isn't that young and playing a position that China has a large number of young options at already, plus a few who are a year or two behind. Though I could see him becoming Camacho's guy, if he's picked he'd be the manager's first real independent choice.

24. ntg.

ntg. Moderator
    Staff Member

May 9, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    haha i think you quote the stuff from long time ago
    that was the afc champions league match of shandong luneng vs. jeonbuk motors months ago (when huang just signed for jeonbuk)

shandong luneng did not make through the group stage and jeonbuk is still alive :)

25. cfb21

cfb21 Member

Aug 28, 2011
    London

Oh whoops, I think I make it obvious I only REALLY pay attention to the NT :D

Kind of embarrassing mistake there. :p