China VS Honduras [R]

Discussion in 'China' started by greenlion, Dec 30, 2005.

1. numerista

numerista New Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Actually, Honduras is a very competitive team in Concacaf, similar in strength to Costa Rica. The last two qualifying cycles, they've been pretty unlucky, and could easily have made it both times. That said, they sent a poor roster for this game, so you're right that the Chinese should certainly have expected to get a result against them at home.

2. xfactor857

xfactor857 Member

Sep 21, 2003
  3. chengb02

chengb02 Member

Oct 14, 2002
    We're talking about 2 different things. You made the point of the Haan-Sun controversy. In AC04 and WCQ, Sun saw limited playing time, but the other players had strong performances. I totally agree that Sun's injury in WC02 hurt us, but I don't think it cost us under Haan's reign. In qualifying, our problems weren't defensive, but forever our problem, offense, and in midfield, Yan Song was better and faster than Sun would have been.

4. xfactor857

xfactor857 Member

Sep 21, 2003
    I think Sun Jihai would have played better than Wei Xin, who replaced him at RB.

5. shenhua

shenhua New Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Parramatta
    This guy gives us Shanghainese a bad rep.

6. ForzaGrifo

ForzaGrifo Member

Sep 22, 2000
    Over the years here at BS I've said it time and time again and I'll say it again: Forget the 3-back formations. With 3-back formations the wingbacks have to be very good technically and physically running up and down the flanks, getting back on defense and attacking on offense. I don't see China having the quality wingbacks needed to deem any 3-back formation effective.

Almost all teams nowadays focus on attacking along the flanks rather than through the middle, as there are much more space to manuever down the flanks (also, effectively using the sidelines).

The 3-back formation therefore is inherently weak along the flanks, unless you're Brazil with exceptional wingbacks like Roberto Carlos and Cafu. Even Zico's Japan is ineffective with their 3-5-2 or 3-6-1 with Alex and Kaji, 2 pretty decent players, on wingbacks.

For China, it's way better to use a 4-back with the sidebacks focusing mainly on defense and occasionally go up for attacks and overlapping runs with the winger, depending on game situation.

This aspect alone shows that Zhu is incompetent as a coach.

Of course the problem is not merely coaching. The players themselves stink. I'm calling for his head because I don't like his formation and player selection (Shao, Li Yi, lack of true playmaker such as Wu Wei'an), among other things.

I think Krautzen should be a better coach. At least he found Gao Lin and had the guts to use him.