China adrift in Asia

Discussion in 'China' started by Zhou Botong, Jun 8, 2009.

1. Zhou Botong

Zhou Botong Member

Oct 15, 2007
    Australia, Japan and South Korea have qualified for WC 2010. The ease with which they qualified shows that they have pulled even further away from the other teams in Asia. Even Bahrain and Uzbekistan, the two most improved teams in Asia, failed to trouble neither Australia nor Japan. S. Korea in a more difficult group simply strolled through. These three teams have become the untouchables of Asia. In the near future perhaps only Saudi Arabia can challenge them.

China meanwhile is like a boat without oars being swept downstream. At the risk of offending anyone I predict that Team China will not be able to beat any of these 3 teams in the next 10 years. Even holding them to a draw will be difficult. Without doubt they will prepare well for South Africa and if they achieve good results their confidence will build up. They will pull further ahead and China will be left 20 years behind.

Is China going to wake up soon?:(

2. ntg.

ntg. Moderator
    Staff Member

May 9, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    blah. kind of off topic but lol.
    as i was talking to people here in england.
    they asked me china didn't qualify for world cup?
    it's such a big country man!

lol i hate how people use population to judge how we go world cup.
    does that mean india and indonesia will go into world cup too because of their population?

back to topic
    i think china now realize the problem lol
    they did that weird test to hire gao hongbo and i think they are getting serious with their approaches to soccer now woohoo

3. greenlion

greenlion Member

Apr 22, 2004
    CHINA
    Club:
    Beijing Guoan
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    heh big countries not doing well in soccer, China, India, Russia, USA, Canada etc
    soccer more likes for countries like british, france, germany what we called second tier countries here in China :D

just for fan lol, but I think it is just a game so we should takes it on as a game. no need to take is so seriously

4. Koreano

Koreano Member

Jul 5, 2005
    Club:
    Seongnam Ilhwa
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I think it's all down to team organization for China. Once they can get this straightened out, China will be a dangerous team.

5. Kenzhi

Kenzhi New Member

Jul 20, 2007
    The oar is the coach. Up to now, China could not find a good coach who was able to choose right players and play right football. But it seems now we got a good coach who insists on playing short-passing technical football and throwing away long ball attack. He summoned so many unknown young players yet judging from the 3 friendlies against Germany, Iran and Saudi Arabia, the results were not bad.

If you paid attention to the players Coach Gao fielded in these 3 friendlies, you must know he kept changing most of the players in order to observe who will become the main players in the future. In the 3rd game against Saudi, he rested the players he thought no need to observe anymore as they played extremely well in the previous 2 games like Feng Xioating and Zhou Haibin. Also in this game, he tried to put Zheng Zhi at central defence and paired him with Cheng Liang. This pair was a far cry compared with Feng Xiaoting dan Du Wei and thus caused a big 1-4 defeat from Saudi. Funnily, many Saudi fans thought Coach Gao fielded almost same players in these 3 games and hence very proud of their winning against China which even Germany and Iran failed to do.

I think if Gao was elected 18 months earlier, the outcome of the WCQ would have been different. Let's hope CFA gives chance to the newly formed Chinese team to play more friendlies in the near future against strong teams.

6. ntg.

ntg. Moderator
    Staff Member

May 9, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    not only organization
    i also think the mentality and confidence of the team should improve too!

not to be mean to my own team
    but looking at cases such as japan, south korea, uzbekistan
    whenever they play, it seems they have the mentality to fight till the end!
    even if they lose, they always have this proud and pride within them.

but in terms of watching my own team
    it always seem china team is a bit lacking in confidence
    i always lack that 'confidence' that china team is gonna win at all lol.

7. Only_ONE_United

Nov 30, 2008
    Vancouver/Hong Kong
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    The real question is not when China will wake up, but when the central government will learn to realize the signifance of football and actually pay attention/put some money into it instead of ignoring or censoring criticism of the national team.

If China really wanted to accomplish something, they can get it done (as we've seen with some sports and the Olympics).

Asking to be truly competitive with the upper echelons of football is one thing (and definitely a long long long ways away), but being at least competitive in the AFC with the likes of Japan and Korea should not be an issue, which is why the last few years have been so frustrating. I can understand if the European playerswith better stamina and fitness/skills outmuscle our players, but against our own rivals in the region there is no reason why we can't achieve or compete at their level.

Even with the recent friendly defeat at the hands of SA, I still have some hopes for the NT now. The new coach seems to want to inject some new blood into the system which is what we desperately need at the moment.
    Right now as I see it, the ball is in the government's court now as better training facilities are needed as well as more football pitches in general to revive the dwindling interest in the sport.

8. loren

loren New Member

Jun 10, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    The senior team needs time to develope there young players. CSL teams needs to invested in there youth players instead of paying huge fees , to bring in imports . More playing time for these younger players especailly the forwards .Chinese football association needs to be more professional .

9. Zhou Botong

Zhou Botong Member

Oct 15, 2007
    Good reasoning but Iraq has demolished this argument by winning Asian Cup 2007. The team did not even have a training field but it is Asian Champion. Soccer usually defies logic.

Anyway you are right about team organisation in Chinese soccer. It is as twisted as the steel beams above the Bird Nest in Beijing.

10. Koreano

Koreano Member

Jul 5, 2005
    Club:
    Seongnam Ilhwa
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Here "Organization" is not only restricted to the notion you mentioned above, but rather on organizational play. Chinese players just play on their own, this tactics doesn't work on China.

11. chengb02

chengb02 Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Totally agree, which is why, over the past few years on paper the Chinese team looks like they could beat anybody in Asia, but end up losing to some minnows...Confidence is another major issue, but they just don't play like a team.