Chilean stadium violence

Discussion in 'CONMEBOL' started by biosoccer, Oct 7, 2002.

1. biosoccer

biosoccer New Member

I mentioned somewhere that I thought that what would help Chilean teams out of economic trouble was if more people went to the stadium, but that could only happen if new laws were created in order to make stadiums a safe place to go.

Well, at the end of last week, rumor is that they are trying to bring up something that will erradicate violence at stadiums.

Funny + stupid thing done this weekend at Colo-Colo's game on Saturday: they asked for IDs to Colo-Colo fans at the stadium entrance!
    How ridiculous is this?

2. CHILENOOO

CHILENOOO Member

Nov 19, 1998
    NJ
    hey you never know...maybe BinLaden is a member of Garra Blanca now.... :)

3. biosoccer

biosoccer New Member

And is Bush is a "cuico" then you get a game I wouldn't like to attend

4. biosoccer

biosoccer New Member

Anyone can bring up an idea of who will be the leader/member of the "chunchos"?

5. biosoccer

biosoccer New Member

FYI:
    cuicos= Universidad Catolica
    chuncho= Universidad de Chile
    Garra Blanca= Colo-Colo fans

6. NACIONAL

NACIONAL New Member

Dec 31, 2001
    Medellin, Colombia
    thanks... iwas getting lost here...

7. biosoccer

biosoccer New Member

you are welcome

Albos= Colo-Colo (missed that before)

8. CHILENOOO

CHILENOOO Member

Nov 19, 1998
    NJ
    albos = el eterno campeon = cacique = Chile = Colo Colo

:)

9. biosoccer

biosoccer New Member

Si, tienes suerte de que no haya ningún "cuico" en BS, sino la lista seguiría con cosas como :
    Colo-Colo=indios c*o*n*c*h*a*......dre

10. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    In Holland you need a so called Club Card. You need your passport to apply for these and you can have only one of these.

This CC is needed to buy tickets for almost all the games or a seasonticket.

If you want buy tickets for away games you need a special CC that also has your picture on it.

Besides that at Ajax (and in the future probably all clubs) you need an ID that matches the name on your CC and your CC number should match the number that is on the ticket.
    The CC cannot be used by other people.

When you enter the stadium they ask for ID and they check a list too see if you have a stadium ban.

Besides that there are special police teams at every club who travel along with the supporters and know most hooligans and potential hooligans.

So what they try to do is make sure that they know all potential hooligans.

I don't care. I like a good brawl every now and then. But in South America it's usually a bit worse.

11. CHILENOOO

CHILENOOO Member

Nov 19, 1998
    NJ
    Hey, I forgot to say that I like the idea of asking for IDs...It doesn't hurt anybody...just announce it...weeks in advance....

I think that the problem here was that on the day of the match they asked for IDs....just like that....
    Chile has a problem of poverty.....I'm assuming that many of the people here didn't take their wallets to show ID....because they were afraid to get mugged....or be robbed.......that's why so many stayed out of the game....No Id....couldn't get in....well, they should of said it before the game....at least the day before....

This would be a possible solution of finding criminals...among the "Garra Blanca" and "Los de Abajo"....best known as "Barras Bravas"....hooligans...
    A set back to this...is that Chilean Cops are easily fooled...or can be easily tricked...That's one of our virtues...or defects.... :)

Anyway....
    Talking about Holland and "Hoolingans" brought to my attention two possible topics...I'll write them in a new post.

12. trickyfool

trickyfool New Member

Feb 11, 1999
    Orlando, FL
    Man, I wish I had a comeback for that one. Being a lowly penquista, I won't even bother to think one up....:D

13. SPL

SPL New Member

Apr 28, 2000
    Washington, D.C.
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know "Garra Blanca" translates to "white claw," but what do "Cuicos" and "Chuncho" mean in English?

14. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    fags?

pls correct me if cuicos is not some kind of culero

15. biosoccer

biosoccer New Member

There have been many discusions about what "cuico" really means, but basically is someone that has a lot of money and shows off. It applies to Universidad Catolica 'cause it belonged to the University of the same name, where mostly people with money go there. I guess then that "cuico" means "snob".

About the "chuncho" it's the name of a bird in Chile and I think (maybe Chilenoooo can help me out with this) they are called like this 'cause their symbol has this bird on it.

[img http://www.mantruc.com/rincon/aves/chuncho.jpg
    [/img]

16. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    estamos para aprender siempre

cuicos = prepees! hijos de papi

mapuches es mi preferida, sounds goooooood

17. biosoccer

biosoccer New Member

Mapuches? You got me with that one, who are called mapuches?

18. SPL

SPL New Member

Apr 28, 2000
    Washington, D.C.
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Doesn't Universidad de Chile also have a nickname meaning "underdogs" (or the Spanish equivalent)? Also, I always thought (although I certainly could be wrong) that the bird in La U's logo was an owl (because owls are suppose to be smart, and because the club takes its name from a famous university)?

19. CHILENOOO

CHILENOOO Member

Nov 19, 1998
    NJ
    SPL,
    you are right.....it's an Owl, and it's because of the University.
    BUT there is a joke..."if you are a guy and you like U de Chile...then you are gay....WHY? because U de Chile is the only team that has a P e n i s in its shirt"

I know I know....a joke is always bad when you have to explain it...but it is much better in spanish...since PICO is a vulgar way of saying P e n i s and Owls have PICOS also on their noses....get it???

ANYWAY....
    Chuncho = Owl
    U. de Chile fan = Homo ....

Mapuches....you got me on that one....I think a Mapuche is an indian...a local kind of indian....(I mean local to Chile)....just like Mayas, Incas, etc....they are just less famous...
    But I'm going to look it up now...since I just realized that there is a River that goes through Santiago called "MAPOCHO"....maybe it comes from that...People that live near the Mapocho River could be the MAPUCHES....MAKES MORE SENSE!!!
    D A M N I'm smart!!!

Some other cool words from my beloved CHILE...
    (These are part of a Dictionary that I found and it has all Chilean terms...In case that you are interested on it....let me know....it's a big word document....there is a reason why we are called the destroyers of the Spanish Castellano language)

Letra D
    Dar Boleta: "Ganar por una ventaja abultada".
    Dar pelota: Prestarle atención a alguien.
    "Dar vuelta el paraguas": Ser bisexual.
    Denso: Persona seria, casi malhumorada que tiende a tomarse las cosas muy rígidamente y no en forma liviada.
    Descueve: Muy bueno, excelente, espectacular.
    Destartalado: Desordenado, desarmado, arruinado, descompuesto.
    Dije/cito: calificativo para "amable, amoroso, amigable, buena persona".
    Doblado: Muy borracho, drogado, inconsciente.
    Dónde la viste: Expresión para: ¡ No, imposible, cómo se te ocurre !

20. CHILENOOO

CHILENOOO Member

Nov 19, 1998
    NJ
    SPL,
    I forgot...the "underdogs" you are talking about are the hooligans from the Barra..."los de abajo"...which means "the ones undernead"...

which makes absolutely sense...since they are always second to Colo Colo...

21. NACIONAL

NACIONAL New Member

Dec 31, 2001
    Medellin, Colombia
    you are right about the bad joke...

22. CHILENOOO

CHILENOOO Member

Nov 19, 1998
    NJ
    why? are you an U de Chile fan??

23. trickyfool

trickyfool New Member

Feb 11, 1999
    Orlando, FL
    Chilenooo, How could not know about the Mapuches? Didn't you learn about them in school with the rest of us or have you been living in the US for way too long? Your fave team, Colo-Colo, is named after a mapuche warrior after all. That's why they're nicknamed "los caciques"

Anyways, the Mapuches are an Indian tribe in Southern Chile. They were once very strong and were able to beat the colonization attempts of the Spaniards numerous times. That's why southern Chile was never conquered. Nowadays many streets and parks and what not are named after them even if people don't realize it. Names like Colo-Colo, Caupolican, Lautaro, Tucapel, and The Mapuche river. They're still around, especially around Temuco.

Well, thats the History lesson for today :D

Also, My dad is a Chuncho, got a problem with that?? :)

24. NACIONAL

NACIONAL New Member

Dec 31, 2001
    Medellin, Colombia
    no way!!!

a badjoke doesn't get better or worse because i'm a fan of any team...

that was a bad joke...

25. SPL

SPL New Member

Apr 28, 2000
    Washington, D.C.
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the background on U. de Chile and Chilean soccer in general. A family member of mine took a job in Santiago two years ago, and I've been down there twice on visits. I attended a U. de Chile match in Feb. 2001 (a Copa Libertadores match), and have been following the team, and the Chilean league, ever since. I caught two matches when I was down there last month (U. de Chile vs. Cobresal, and Santiago Morning vs. Cobreloa). I hope the league can sort out its financial troubles. Things seem quit bad at the moment, although at least the strike has been settled.