Chile vs Spain - June 18, 2014 - Rio de Janeiro [R]

Discussion in 'Group B: Spain, Chile, Australia, Netherlands' started by el-capitano, Jun 14, 2014.

1. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    #351 Rickdog, Jun 18, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2014
    If Brazil losses to Cameroon, all it needs to go through is to have Croatia beat Mexico by the same GD between Brazil and Cameroon, as right now both Croatia and Brazil have better GD than Mexico.

Btw, remember those 2 disallowed goals of Mexico against Cameroon. Maybe FIFA already did this same calculation back then, and it was FIFA's call to have Mexico at this point with a lower GD than Brazil (just in case back then, but pretty handy now):ninja:
    (uuuu........, the conspiracy theory, :p)

The good thing though, is that if we face Mexico, we avoid the appointment of FIFA's pupeteer, Mr. "chiquidracula", as referee for that match , as he is mexican. (in any case FIFA also has another puppet from Japan if they would want to "arrange" something here)
    And if it is against Brazil, the referee will be from Conmebol (fortunately Mr. Amarilla from Paraguay, isn't among the referee's for this WC).

Against Croatia, very likely that the bloodsucker may be appointed as referee for the match

2. Brasitusa

Brasitusa Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    May 14, 2014
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Yes, I know that it is possible. Maybe you didn't get my point.
    My point is that if Brazil loses to Cameroon, Brazil has no business in the round of 16. Brazil would advance, sure, but would just postpone the slaughter. I'm not saying that it wouldn't advance, I'm saying that it wouldn't deserve to advance. I'd be so disgusted that I'd want to stop watching subsequent games. Well, I probably won't be able to refrain from watching, but that's the general feeling.

A team that can't beat Cameroon in a World Cup playing at home is no title contender.

So, Brazil should better beat Cameroon.

Now, I sincerely hope you're just joking about your conspiracy theory above because it is really far-fetched.

If FIFA wanted to favor Brazil, they could have called a penalty on Marcelo, in the game against Mexico. Also, they wouldn't have booked Neymar with a yellow card.

No, the non-existent but still called penalty on Fred against Croatia was just human error. There is no conspiracy.

3. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    If the referee would've wanted to not favour Brazil, Neymar should have got the direct red card for his elbow, and Marcelo should've got at least a yellow card for simulation, the same as for Fred against Croatia.

Too many mistakes, in group A, and "curiously" all at the end, favour Brazil. Makes people think, you know ?

RedFuryFan, Gilbertsson and Conifeertje repped this.
  4. Brasitusa

Brasitusa Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    May 14, 2014
    Club:
    New York City FC
    There was an incompetent ref in the game against Croatia.
    There was no refereeing bias in the game against Mexico.
    No conspiracy, sorry.

In Spain vs. Holland Diego Costa took a dive and was awarded a penalty and no yellow card. Does it mean FIFA is trying to give the WC to Spain? So much for that.

Errors happen. No conspiracy.

5. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So the most interesting thing about Chile defeating Spain are the possibilities for Group A? :confused:

:p

el-capitano repped this.
  6. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    yeah, OK
    Have it your way. I don't want to make a case out of all of it.

But, still makes people think (I'll leave it up to here)

7. Brasitusa

Brasitusa Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    May 14, 2014
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Given that group A and B cross next, it's not entirely unrelated since it will result in the determination of Chile's next adversary, and people also wonder if teams will try to throw a game to pick an opponent.

If we were talking about groups H, G... then it would be completely off-topic. Just my two cents.

8. Brasitusa

Brasitusa Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    May 14, 2014
    Club:
    New York City FC
    People think a lot of incorrect things.

9. Tellah

Tellah Member

Jun 29, 2004
    That place
    Club:
    CA San Lorenzo de Almagro
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Chile gave it their all, for sure and no matter what happens from here on out, they go home as heroes.

My daily report!

10. Yañez

Yañez Member+

Oct 11, 2005
    Santiago, Llolleo
    Club:
    Univ de Chile
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Regardless if we top the group or not, it will be very fishy if Brazil somehow ties their game. Lets be honest, Brazil still prefers to face Chile than Holland, its really weird that they play after our game.

11. Christina99

Christina99 Member+

Argentina
    Sep 22, 2013
    Buenos Aires
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I cant believe this, why does group A plays after group B, when they played BEFORE them the previous 2 matches??
    It doesnt make any sense

Yañez repped this.
  12. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    #362 Rickdog, Jun 19, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2014
    Isn't it obvious ?

They want to know in advance who is 1st and who is 2nd in group B, so they can play accordingly to their best wishes, whom they prefer to face.

It's not like as if only chance had it this way, as it happened in all other couple of groups that will face each other in round of 16, as when the draw took place back last year, no one really knew whom was going to get put in each group, so actually almost any team could've landed in them. At those groups where they would play their last matches in the group before the group out of which were going to be the opponents, luck decided it (or mr. Valcke according to some crazy youtube theory of conspiracy, :cautious::p). For the case of Brazil, they knew from the begining by the fixture they designed, all the way to the final game for Brazil, and the only thing that was left for them to decide for, was the teams they would have to confront. In it, they managed that whomever they face, their team would have one extra day of rest than their eventual opponent at group phase, and about 5 more hours of rest than their eventual opponents at the 2 first KO phases, and 1 more day of rest again in reference to the eventual opponent at semi's.

Now, for truth this is not cheating, as almost every host team tries to get certain advantages in regards to the rest of WC participating teams, but it sure "smells" a lot like it, as if it was.

For whatever happens, as a fan, we always expect that at the end, plain football will find its way and the best will be the ones that impose themselves, but there will always be certain doubts over it all (the more the odd issues there are, the more the doubts it will generate).

13. Yañez

Yañez Member+

Oct 11, 2005
    Santiago, Llolleo
    Club:
    Univ de Chile
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Thats one way of looking at it, I just dont buy all that conspiracy crap. But hey, if you do, then props to you ;)

Brasitusa repped this.
  14. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Fish, usually find death by the mouth, my friend :

15. Brasitusa

Brasitusa Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    May 14, 2014
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Very well said: conspiracy crap. Times of games have a lot more to do with local temperature (Northern versus Southern cities) and TV contracts than some crazy conspiracy that would somehow favor the host from knowing what the other group's final result is.

Some people are just into conspiracies and they'll see them everywhere. It's a personality trait more than anything.

Besides, Brazil should have no preference for Chile or Holland. Both are formidable. Both are young and hungry teams in great form. Brazil will try to win its group, period. Momentum, crowd support, self-confidence are all a lot more important especially for this team that has struggled, than whether they'll face Chile or Holland.

16. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Well, as we are going to beat the Netherlands we don't have anything to worry about, then.

See you at the final.
    (nahhh, just kidding. Still long way to go for that)

17. Brasitusa

Brasitusa Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    May 14, 2014
    Club:
    New York City FC
    I just checked, and the Group A games are in Brasilia and Pernambuco, northern cities, while the Group B are in São Paulo and Curitiba, southern cities. A while ago and including because of protests by the players' association, it's been established that the northern cities will have later start times so that the sun sets, while the colder southern cities will have afternoon starts so that it's staggered for TV. So much for the conspiracy that Brazil wanted access to group B results... preposterous... these things are decided and planned way in advance, nobody might possibly know what would be the situation of specific teams.

I frankly don't think Brazil will make the final. I do think that Chile has more potential.

By the way, congratulations on your victory for which I rooted intensely. I'm happy that our South American brothers took down the European power.

18. geddyleet

geddyleet Member

Jun 6, 2014
    I just want to point out that Chile didn't give some kind of transcendent performance here or even just do better than they had before, like say Holland who had a pretty mediocre qualifiers did. Chile played as well as pretty much everyone expected them to and has been expecting them to for a while. If this comes as some kind of shock to you you haven't been following WCQ because everyone knew this Chilean team was going to be one of the top two teams in their group for a while.

Pipiolo repped this.
  19. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    If it is the case, then great. Less material for gossip.
    Francly, I don't care about it and really only want to have the most fun I can get out of this WC.
    For us chileans, as we don't usually get so many good results, when we do, we cellebrate them lots more than what most people can imagine it (maybe other non-regular powerful teams can understand what I mean). One thing for certain, these moments of joy don't usually last for so long, so we cellebrate them as they come, one at a time.

Don't throw yourself down. This Brazil is probably not the same Brazil as in the past (reasons why it receives lots of hate by those who have wanted to express it in the past, but couldn't due to how powerful it was), but still is one of the big powers in actual football (same as Spain, btw, despite the recent losses where someone had to lose, and this time it was their turn), and as home team will always be candidate to win the WC.
    As for Chile, we are going there for sure, but still have a long road to go.
    thanks on behalf of my team, and yes, I think the same in regards to the South American brotherhood. Despite criticism sometimes, I will always root for one of our own (and specially in regards to the other big fish at the North, across the pond).
    :)

20. Yañez

Yañez Member+

Oct 11, 2005
    Santiago, Llolleo
    Club:
    Univ de Chile
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    One thing is for FIFA to conspire in favor of Brazil and another is that Brazil plays it calmly if they dont need a win, which was what I meant.

21. waitforit

waitforit Member+

Dec 3, 2010
    Valcea
    Club:
    FC Steaua Bucuresti
    Nat'l Team:
    Romania
    Netherlands, sure .... Brazil are the kind the team Netherlands like to play against.Brazil attack a lot so they are prone to counter. I don't see Netherlands play well if they needed to take the initiative vs a bigger team. Lucky for them all the big teams are playing an attacking football. Even Italy is more attacking than usual (I like Prandelli for that)

Chile I want them to beat Brazil I really do, but they suck against Brazil or Brazil always plays great against them.

Pipiolo repped this.
  22. Yañez

Yañez Member+

Oct 11, 2005
    Santiago, Llolleo
    Club:
    Univ de Chile
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Brazil has our number.

23. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    England joins Spain among the eliminated teams. Costa Rica beated Italy 1-0, and with this result they go through to next round.... (one of both, Italy or Uruguay, will also join the eliminated teams).
    :thumbsup:

24. Ohiginiano

Ohiginiano Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    El Teniente Stadium
    Club:
    O Higgins Rancagua
    Italy vs Uruguay is going to be a good one. IT they tie, Italy goes through

25. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile