CHILE vs Portugal, 26 marzo en Leiria (R) (Amistoso)

Discussion in 'Chile: Selecciones Nacionales' started by JAIME CHILE, Feb 5, 2011.

1. zasal911

zasal911 Member

Sep 1, 2000
    Re: CHILE vs Portugal, 26 marzo en Leiria (R)

you are talking with someone who has a working knowledge of soccer, i just wish i was talking with someone who had a working knowledge of logic.

if you try really really hard, maybe you'll figure out why this entire argument of yours is 1) completely useless,

2) logically flawed...you say that ivory coast was no where near the level of portugal, while switzerland and chile were relatively equal... therefore it was harder for switzerland to make the second round, ... therefore Bielsa's loss against switzerland in 07 is better than Borghi's tie against portugal in 11.....

think there might be a 'leap' in this logic buddy?

====

2. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile

With an attitude like that, it's hard to take your opinion seriously.

Just sayin'.

3. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005

Let's gang up on the dog :)

@ the WC time both IC and Portugal were in near parity. Both had strong squads and the final result showed that. NK gave a scare to Brazil in their first game, it may have been beginer's luck by NK or rusty start by Braz.
    I thought , while watching the Por-Braz match, that it could have had gone either way, so , again , the final result mirrors what actually transpired on the field. Remember that if Portugal had won that last game, Chile would have been the match up rather than Spain in the first Bota-fora round. That would have been interesting.

4. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile

Ok, then try to give a more worthy argument than that absurd commentary related to equal strength`s between CONMEBOL and CAF, for someone who says that he has a "working knowledge of logics". Otherwise accept the jokes galantly.

Flawed according to you, but hard info and data (FIFA world ranks of the moment prior to the begining of the WC), suggest completely the opposite, unless you are only stating an opinion, which by no way suggests or constitutes evidence of no kind.

A lost game is a lost game and by no way it is better than a draw or a win.

However, this doesn`t mean that the opponents for each of those games were closely similar. Nor that the conditions were anything closer to similar conditions among both teams. When Bielsa had his debut with our newly formed NT, which by then only were starting to learn the style he tried to impose, as we didn`t have anything that resembled a team back then, he faced a much more better team with all their starters in their team, than the likes of this Portugal we faced yesterday, where some of their vital players were absent for diverse reasons, while Borghi had a perfectly prepared team with some players missing, who played almost the same as what was being played in the last match before this one.

That Switzerland 2007, was a much more better team than the Portugal 2011. And our 2007 first NT under Bielsa was nothing compared to this 2011 NT under Borghi.

5. freeestyler

freeestyler Member

Jan 17, 2009
    Sofia, Bulgaria
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile

zasal what are you comparing now? vidal at 20 just sold to bayer, medel at 20, mati at 21, sanchez at 19 etc with them now, when they are 24 years old, leaders in big european teams??? well, we understood that you dont like what bielsa have done in chile, but try to skip the stupid comments.

Sometimes its better to start from 0.. a draw is more than a lost game etc.??? Try to comment the way the team has played. Thats important at the end. the WCQs are 18 games.. you can have luck and take some points in 2-3-4-5 games, but it cant work everytime this way and in the rest 13-14-15-16 games you will not have this luck!

Its stupid to compare Switzeralnd and Portugal. What we can compare is the way the team has played in both games.. And to take into account that all these players are playing 3-4 years like a clock 2gether and in September 2007.. some of them have played their first games for the senior team!!

6. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile

Ok, then tell us what you think about Sazal's commentary stating that the level of football betwen CONMEBOL and CAF, are equal. I`d really like to read your honest opinion about the issue.

Sorry pal, but a commentary as this one, the least that it deserves is a little bit of humour. He didn`t think much, what he posted. I would love to hear our other friends from CONMEBOL say what they believe with that commentary, and I bet that the most of them will not laugh at all, and treat our friend without any contemplation of it being totally absurd (specially our friends from Uruguay, who were 5th, whom according to that logic, should be positioned equal to South Africa or Argelia).

7. freeestyler

freeestyler Member

Jan 17, 2009
    Sofia, Bulgaria
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile

Ivory Coast are the strongest team in Africa for me, but their level is somewhere between Ecuador and Colombia. 99% from the teams in Africa can be easilly beaten by Bolivia and Venezuela even! The African players have no technical and tactical skills. Even having good players, they cant play a normal modern football and will continue to suffer from this missing tactical knowledges.

8. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile

Acceptable opinion. Ivory Coast was one of the strong teams of Africa, but no where in comparisson to a top 5 world ranked team.
    In those days, if we would have played against Portugal, we could have had a very good game and I always will prefer to face anyone, except Brazil (they know us too well to let us surprise them). On the other hand Portugal was having a very rough moment since in their prior friendlies (one of them a 6-2 lost game against the same Brazil), they didn`t have the results as for a 3rd world ranked team, and they were worried about it too.

9. zasal911

zasal911 Member

Sep 1, 2000

I know this, you know this, and most people think that this is at least somewhat true..... Rickdog doesn't agree because, oh shti who knows why he thinks anything he thinks....

Dude, i know you like to come up out from under a rock to hold RickDog's hand through his fantasy island, but be a bit more consequential in what you say.

You have no idea what you're talking about. You're comments on Vidal/Medel/Mati being 20 and then being 24 has NOTHING to do with anything i said at all...

and then for you to say its a stupid comment, when you make no sense and its without any context?

homie, go fkuk yourself

1. again your lack of comprehension skills shine through....read it again and you'll realize that I wasn't comparing conmebol to CAF, i was comparing Chile to IC.....most outside observers thought they had more or less the same shot at the WC

2. and here is the problem, perfectly expressed. you think you can prove with facts pulled out of the air that the team we played in Vienna in 2007 was undoubtedly better than Portugal we faced in 2011...

its ridiculous to even think you can draw any conclusions, and even stupider to think that it matters in the least!

and then to say that me thinking portugal was better is an opinion, while you have facts to say switzerland was better ---> when all we have to go on are two games that were friendlies, all of that is indicative of how nonsensical and idiotic you are

but go ahead, keep thinking switzerland 07 is better than portugal 11....and that for some reason this is relevant to our discussion of Borghi

I'm done talking to a wall....at least the one's i have here in my apartment have SOME comprehension skills

10. freeestyler

freeestyler Member

Jan 17, 2009
    Sofia, Bulgaria
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile

?? As far as I can see I was the first one, who has posted his views after the game against Portugal, and Im not here to hold anybodys hand. I thought the forums are a place where the poeple can discuss the things they are interested in! What are u suggesting to stop posting?
    I dont know Rickdog personally, but I would be happy to know him! He is a smart guy with great, fresh and clear views. I like and share his visions and ideas and dont see anything to shame myself for that!
    p.s. I really hope our islands are fantasy islands, and Chile will start to play well and better than the last 2 years.
    btw in one of my last posts I have asked 4-5 questions. Can you be so kind and try to anser them? Just want to see your answers.

I have a good idea what Im talking about. Are you not trying the whole time to compare the start of Bielsa and Borghi ?

and even if ive made a mistake, is that what u have to tell me, to fu*k myself? Is that the way your are discussing everything? Thanks! Will try to fu*k myself. Wait for a call if I have some difficulties, to tell me exactly what to do!

11. freeestyler

freeestyler Member

Jan 17, 2009
    Sofia, Bulgaria
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile

These were the questions!

12. zasal911

zasal911 Member

Sep 1, 2000

- yeah he's brilliant. the problem isn't with anyone's views, in the least, its with his inability to comprehend what others say, and his constant need to latch onto a particular word or sentence with purpose other than to continue arguments....as we would say, 'llevar la contra'

sure

- no, not at all... from the beginning i said comparisons were fruitless, and i came into this particular discussion to say just that..... to suggest to Doggy that how Chile did against Portugal should not be compared to how they did against Switzerland in Bielsa's debut, because they're different circumstances...my mistake in this case was to counter his 'fact' that Switzerland 07 was better than Portugal 11

- you know what, i've been having a crappy day and maybe overreacted...on the other hand you jumped in out of the blue, called me out on something that was completely aside from what i was saying, and said i was being stupid... so yea.

its not my usual way of discussing, but sometimes its necessary...

13. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile

On the contrary, as you claim you have great comprehension abilities (an issue highly doubtful according to your posts to me or to others as well), that issue is precisely what supports my point, that Switzerland was a better team than Portugal, despite of the rankings each of them had. Portugal at the moment of the 2010 WC was never even near to the 3rd place they had in FIFA`s ranking and therefore since then, they are only a good team overrated by their FIFA ranking. The reasons why Switzerland had it harder than them, was due to the fact that they played up to their position in the rankings, the same as Chile or Honduras. Ivory Coast played as what was expected from them, nothing more than that. The ones who didn`t express their ranking in the WC, was Portugal, only being able to draw with a lesser team and win against the weakest team of that WC.

If you add to it, their missing players in the match we recently had with them, they were nothing but a mediocre team in relation to the team that participated in the past WC, and in relation to that team that beated recently Spain (whom also had new players btw), very similar to ourselves, for the same reasons.

You said it very clear : the second ranked of Conmebol is equal to the second ranked in Africa. No need to have such a big comprehension mental exercise.

Btw, in that WC, we were the 4th ranked in CONMEBOL, not the second as you claim, and all the classified teams from CONMEBOL were better ranked than Ivory Coast, and as Freeestyler correctly stated, Ivory Coast was about where Colombia or Ecuador were. Not better than that.

If you like it or not, is your problem, but for FIFA, rankings are the measure by which a team is better or worst positioned within the world of Football, according to past results. It doesn`t imply who is better or not in any given moment. This is hard evidence, and not invented trough the air as you claim.

It is you and the crap that you have in your head the one that has problems, as it is you the one who thinks I`m trying to prove anything. I`m only giving arguments to my conclussions, which you can accept or not. This is an open forum, and anyone is free to express whatever they want to. You don`t like it ?, well don`t post.

But from there to calling them stupid or even ridiculous, it only implies your lack of respect to whomever you disagree with, in any issue, and when you openly can`t give arguments and then start calling names or bad words to others, you only confirm how full of crap is your head.

Till now, I`ve been relatively polite with you, but unfortunately, you prove once more that you can`t argue with no one, without getting completely pissed off, if that person doesn`t agree with you. Besides I have provided links, where are yours ?

Well, I would be very dum-dum if ever, I started a conversation with a wall, and if ever I get convinced that they have any comprehension level, then I would sure go to a shrink, cause however you see it, it would mean I`m not OK in my mind. Hey, do they also win, as in here, in your discusions, with them ?
    :D

Zasal, accept my expertice opinion, go see a shrink yourself, something is not ok in your head, as you may have a loose screw in it. :rolleyes:

14. zasal911

zasal911 Member

Sep 1, 2000

These are the questions you wanted someone to answer? i'll give it a brief shot, but these are just my opinions and the facts as i understand them

- we can agree to disagree if you want...for instance, Bielsa started from scratch basically, and it was the best thing in that circumstance. believe me, we've had teams where you need to start from nothing....Not to say that this is the case now, as obviously there's a talent base and a previous project that was very good, but sometimes it is important to start anew

- Chile didn't play great, but i wouldn't qualify it as particularly bad either, considering the opponent and the fact that it was the first game in a new cycle.
    - I actually thought that Chile, though more int he colombia game, knew exactly what it was doing...it didn't work well throughout, but i thought the players understood Borghi's intentions well...it'll just take time

- As for Vidal, Jara and Medel, i'd agree.....Medel had an off game, which he is entitled to, but this is the role he plays in Sevilla and did for Borghi in Boca... Vidal was playing in a brand new position that was out of his comfort zone, and was only there because of injuries....as for Jara, he's had some awful games for the NT, even with Bielsa....i'm thinking specifically of Brazil etc..

- play the same without a coach? really?

4. why has borghi not made any changes at the ht?

- Borghi is known as a motivator, as has been made evident with Matias' rise in play.....he is the type to give players a chance to work out the problems and not sacrifice them immediately...its just philosophy

- i don't like Jean as a 9 either, but i prefer him to Valdivia
    - the reason he played is because Suazo, Pinilla, Paredes, and Mancilla were all injured
    - him playing 9 is also the reason Vidal had to play left midfield....as the alternatives were also injured (Mark Gonzales especially)

- with VAldivia, Paredes, Millar injured the only alternative was Jorquera....who would have gotten massacred in portugal..... he also wants to give MAti confidence, which is important to a player with his personality problems....s far it seems to be workings, albeit slowly

15. HeartandSoul

HeartandSoul Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2007
    The Garden State
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile

Both Rickdog and zasal are by nature contrarians so it's no wonder that you two continue to butt heads. :D

In all seriousness, anytime that insults are thrown the argument has already been lost. I'm not taking sides nor pointing fingers, but the conversations between everyone here need to remain cordial for the general well being of the forum.

16. zasal911

zasal911 Member

Sep 1, 2000

- listen, if you see a connection between portugal and switzerland's WC performance...the quality of the team in 2007 and 2011 respectively....and the start of Borghi and Bielsa's terms......then more power to ya.

- i said from the beginning that this was a pointless exercise because, if you review my post, Bielsa started with essentially nothing while Borghi is picking up from a successful project

- i might think that portugal is better than switzerland, that facing Bra-IC is just as hard as facing Spain-Chile.....but more to the point, i think this is irrelevant

- yeah, reading it outside of context will do that to you....my suggestion was that Chile and IC were pretty well equally rated going into the WC

- you could understand that this is what i was saying by considering the context, or you could take the words and think that i was comparing Africa to South America (for some reason)......

look, what i said was this
    - notice the word PROBABLY indicates that i'm not referring to a specific ranking by fifa or anyone, just general ratings going into the WC...

and this is what you think i said:
    - see how you take what i say and turn it into something else?

- comparing two different teams 4 years apart based on mathematics is complex enough...you won't come to any conclusions...and using that to somehow suggest that the team Bielsa played was better than the team Borghi played will always be inconclusive...

- like most people i tend to usually think that i'm right...my intention wasn't to get into a discussion of portugal-switzerland with you because its retarded (excuse the language)....but oh well

- I have no problems with people not agreeing with me, but you take what i say out of context and then ridicule it...

- it was you that had someone foreign to this conversation call you out for insulting me

- you're right, i must have absolute shittt in my head for responding to you, but i keep doing it cuz i find it kinda fun. i'll stop for the good of our dear friends int he forum

- i will say this though....a while back in one of the other threads i posted a commentary directed at you that you never answered (obviously)....in it i quoted what i said (in quotations) and then what you took from it (in quotations)....too often there is simply no connection between what you're responding to and what you're saying about it.

I don't think you're an idiot or even that you're opinions are all wrong. I just think you don't know how to comprehend me. I've been posting here and in other forums for years and you're really the only person, besides this one Nazi, that i've had problems with...

i'll stop and i'll take responsibility for it. I apologize, its my fault for forgetting who i was talking to

17. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile

Oh yes, and perhaps, didn`t you see my post where when asked about what we were discussing, where was the relevance of it ?

(look at that first sentence of what I said, now in red) :

from here to start saying repeatedly, that my posts were absurd and ridiculous, and as the thread continued to start calling them idiotic an directly calling me an idiot. I honestly feel you "fckt-up" on this one. And you did it even worse when unexcusably, you started picking, on your own madness on others who tried to put perspective here, as freeestyler did.
    Fortunately recently you gave him a more decent answer, but what you did before is completely unacceptable, at least from my point of view.

Sure, no problem. Did you see my reply to Vilafria, you are free of having your own opinion on things. That is completely respectful. What isn`t respectful is trying to make a mock or ridiculize the opinions of others, as what you have done each time you don`t like what others say (In this case my opinions, and for a brief moment as said before, to freeestyler as well)

This is your exact post, as in your explanation you are missing some words (intentionally or unintentionally ?, let the reader be the judge. The part in red, I changed the color of it in order to see what you wrote afterwards as the logycal conclussion of it). As you can see it clearly says that the best or second ranked African team and the second best ranked of south america, are equal rivals :

you can call them general ratings, rankings, however. Who you put as examples of it, in this case, it is irrelevant. In this case you are comparing the second best ranked of both Confederations with each other. And afterwards, in next posts, once again you call me idiot for not having abbility of comprehension.

mathematically 100 % inconclusive, sure.
    But this is not a mathematical formula.
    This is an opinon based on many results which can be discussed openly, accepted or not by whom ever reads the refered post.
    other examples of the same:
    Messi is better player than Pelé
    Brazil 1970 kicks ass on Brazil 2002
    a more exquisite one : Brazil march 1962 was worst than Chile July 1962

Man, how can you ever mathematically measure an overall excellence in football, when in fact what I like of the game is diferent than what you like of the game. My standards of excellence will always be diferent than yours.
    Anyhow nothing, as I said before, justifies you from disregarding others opinions because they are diferent than yours, NOTHING.

Accept my suggestion : use the preview button and read whatever you wrote and imagine it as if another member posted it at you. If you feel uncomfortable, it means something is not right with it. If you have problems with the language, hey, almost everyone here is a native spanish speaker, if you "fak-up", ask for appologies as you are doing now, or add a smiley (not the sarcasm one,:p), in order to make the person understand that you don`t mean bad intentions with your post, and if you didn`t do it at the moment, it`s never late to admit you failed previously (of course you`ll pass as a dork, but better late than never).
    I dont usually use bad words on people. Most of the times, I wave back the same words the OP used whenever I feel insulted. If you ridiculize me, you can bet that I`ll ridiculize you likewise afterwards. And I`m good at it, so as a good suggestion, as the original flag of a northen country said, "Don`t threat on me", :p

Once again, this is an open forum. I have no control of whomever wants to participate in any thread, and if in any given time I feel that everyone is attacking my point of view, I have two options, continue posting and accepting everything that can come through it, or simply quit and not post anymore. Btw, at one point it was me against the world. Did you see me complaint ?. As I was certain on my point of view I continued, if proved wrong well perfect, that`s how I learn. In any discussion in an open forum, anyone can participate. If you want to establish a private discussion, well you can always use the message box in your inbox

Whenever I don`t feel certain about something or simply found out that I was wrong, usually I don`t continue making posts on the issue. Sometimes I feel it could flame someone, so I avoid posting. Sometimes when whatever is said, I feel completely against it, I will not answer. If you want to insist despite what I`m telling you, maybe you should use the message box.

Well you can always post in spanish in our forums, if it seems to you that you`re not getting understood. Apologies accepted, but please try to avoid the use of foul language. It is annoying

1 person likes this.
  18. zasal911

zasal911 Member

Sep 1, 2000

this whole thing should have ended there, so lets leave it at that.

I apologize to you and to everyone else for my part in this nonsense.

you can carry on thinking i'm arrogant and stubborn and whatever, i'll keep on thinking you're this and that and we'll all be happy....

i'll try to imagine that we just aren't understanding each other properly, though i don't think writing in spanish will help the situation, as its my second language. maybe english is yours.

anyways, i insist that you seem to be the only one that has continual problems understanding what i say, so maybe we should just take an extra second to think about what we say when we're saying it to each other... i'll do the same

1 person likes this.
  19. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile

When? In regards to what?

Borghi said from the get-go that his team is going to attack but not all-out, as in with the previous coach. For better or for worse, this is something we--fans--should get used to now.

Even if Chile had José Mourinho as coach, there is no guarantees that he would be stopped/contained/annulled. Jara was overall very poor in both matches (vs. Portugal and Colombia) and Vidal was realistically playing out of position and both had to work with Nani. A poor player + one player out of position vs. an almost world class player: most of the times the latter will come out on top.

Where is there a rule/law that says a coach must make subs at HT? The game was tied and Chile had just scored: the psylogical momentum--if any--was in Chile's favor, despite not necessarily playing a good, solid first half.

Read my previous comment.

There are strikers in Chile, yes but all the ones that Borghi called up got hurt: Suazo, Pinilla, Paredes. Mancilla was a game-time decision due to the flu and he was only good to play for 30 min., tops. You're right in this: Boza should not have been used as a 9. If anything, Borghi should've gone with Muñoz who at least is familiar with that position.

He had just scored a goal. Borghi has made it clear that for lack of a better term Fdez. is one of his "faves". You will rarely see Fdez. subbed out during HT with Borghi in charge, specially if he has scored.

Whether we like it or not, Fdez. has this "glimpes" of magic and he's not a player that's gonna be involved with the game for 90 min. His few subtle touches of magic sometimes suffice but I will give you this: it pisses me off as well because he has more than enough skill to be able to produce more consistently.

This is BS created by the media. Remember not to believe everything the (Chilean) media says. He himself was very pissed about this and corrected them.

Plus, if you were offered a place in the final four of the Copa América and qualifying to Brazil 2014: what would you take? I know the answer for me and probably for most Chileans (which we consider you, as well so please don't misinterpret this as a dig because you're not Chilean. Soccer-wise, as far as I am concerned you are Chilean). Anyhow...

In my opinion, if Chile does not finish in the top four, I wouldn't necessarily classify that as a "disaster". That may be just me, of course.

20. freeestyler

freeestyler Member

Jan 17, 2009
    Sofia, Bulgaria
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile

Soccer-wise Im a chilean, tennis-wise too :D Some of the questions were stupid actually. My main concerns and critics were for the missing reaction with Jean and Matias in the first game and Medel in both games. All I wanted to say and ask why was, that Bichi has seen that Jean as N9 is not working, 45 minutes are enough to see the mistake and to try to correct it. He has lfet him 20 minutes in the 2nd HT to continue the battle with himself. Well, MAti scored in both games, but the goals were after Free Kicks, so for me they doesnt affect his poor performances(actually nothing new for him in the last 4 years:( )

In the second game, lets conlcude that Bichi wanted to keep the result in the second HT, but after Colombia have created so many chances in the first 10 minutes, he had to react somehow. This was the second game in 72 hours and and even beein a motivator etc, he has not changed the way Jara and Medel are playing. Matias played a little bit better against Colombia, but thats because the coffes are not as strong as Portugal.

Teoretically it sounds great to have a stronger defence than before. But practically I have not seen that in these 2 games. I doubt anyone will have a different oppinion than mine, that the defence is the poorest part of our team. We have simply amazing midfielders and attackers. Waldo is a great Libero, but for the 3-5-2 you need 2 ball-playing defenders more. Contreras has difficulties with the ball and I want to see Medel or Vidal on his place!

Having a not so strong defence, you have to try to make the work of the defenders easier- to control the ball, keep the ball possession, dont give much room to the opp team etc. Unfortunatelly our team has much difficulties with the crosses(offensive and defensive) and thats normal, because the avg height of the team is very very low. We must prevent the corners and Fks in our own part. Thats something we have not made in these 2 games. Both Colombia and Portugal had more than 20 corners, if Im not wrong, and after 1 corner Portugal have even scored.

21. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile

Re: Matías--you won't see him get subbed out with Borghi in charge, specially if the boy has just scored and specially now that Valdivia is simply not available.

--

Re: Boza failing as a 9--I agree, Borghi should've reacted sooner but at the same time the against against Portugal was a friendly so there was really no harm in trying.

If he had scored on that one glorious chance he had, we probably wouldn't be talking about him at all. Remember that Medel was tried out as a CB at one point and none thought he would work out in that pos.

--

Doubt we'll see Vidal as a stopper: that may be just me.

--

And Jara was the poorest defender in these 2 games: Contreras had an "average" game with Portugal and was very good after his YC against Colombia.

--

For the most part we agree on a lotta stuff, my friend. :cool: I'd suggest to stop comparing with the previous coach, or what's worse: expect this team to play like that one. You're more than entitled to do so if you want but you will be dissappointed.

My 2 Chilean pesos.

22. zasal911

zasal911 Member

Sep 1, 2000

The thing i will say about Mati not playing all that well is that there is no doubt that he is 'intermitente' in that he has flashes of brilliance but almost never for a whole 90 minutes

but he does present a great threat.

firstly, if he can go back to what he was doing with the free kicks in 06 then he becomes indispensible.....he used to score a free kick every two games, and goals are what win games, especially the tight ones.

- some people have been saying that he only scored the free kicks and nothing else.

but against portugal he scored from about 35 meters, and he was 1 foot away from scoring another one...that's not only a goal, but the closest scoring chance that any one on the team had.

and against colombia he didn't just score the free kick...he got the ball on the flank close to his own box, got by 4 players and left Alexis 1-1 against Yepes....that's where the foul came from, and that's where the goal came from...

he was also a participant in the second goal against colombia.....

i'm just saying, he's intermitente, but we scored 3 goals in these two games and he was highly involved in all of them.

23. HeartandSoul

HeartandSoul Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2007
    The Garden State
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile

Borghi needs to have a deep lying playmaker to fill in one of the DM spots. Pizarro would have been perfect so maybe someone like Estrada or Maldonado can take over that role. This would probably help Medel's game a lot more since Chile right now only has DMs that perform the same function and they are getting in each other's way.

24. zasal911

zasal911 Member

Sep 1, 2000

Pizarro would have been ideal!

Estrada has too many brain farts and can be a defensive liability...though his long balls are spectaclar....

I think it depends on the rival, but Vidal a bit more advanced up the field with Medel covering his back would work out fine......

but without Pizarro we do need the defenders to match up with the midfielders better

25. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile

Whatever they say, a goal is a goal. If it comes out of a free kick, it still is a goal and only these determinates winners from losers. For me as long as he continues doing them, even only on free kicks, he has a secured place among the team.

However, if he manages to play as he used to, at his beginings in Colo Colo, he`d be top class once more (at least, Borghi is giving him full confidence on him, that he will). :cool: